Dubas puts to bed the "Leafs players aren't happy about Tavares"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As an isles fan I would love for the leafs to have a bunch of drama but the notion that players are upset with bringing in the #1 free agent and the best UFA signing in years is ridiculous.

Players want to win. The top players like Matthews know this can only help him and his team.

Also; where do people come up with this “ player X wants to be the highest paid player on his team stuff?”

Not everyone is in the same positions. UFA vs RFA are very very different. Also, the cap changes and goes up every year.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The signing is already bringing out the consequences, one of the Leafs young stars are on the verge of sitting out regular season games because of financial reasons.

Tavares, good player, but if it’s costing the Leafs their own players. He’s also 28 years old, and forwards/scorers usually have their best years behind them at that point. How will this deal look in 3 years when Tavares is 31 and the young guys aren’t on their ELC anymore?

They should have used the money on defence. Rookie mistake by Dubas

In order to compete in the league you need to make sure you don't overpay. Overpaying for Nylander is a bad a idea and it's not like it's first time his agent has pulled this stunt either.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Not sure what this is all about.

On every other team in the league, players are happy when the team is improved.

I guess the idiots have to make up Leafs drama.

You do realise that a Leafs fan made this thread? The only person creating drama here is a leafs fan. I am not sure why this is on the main board as this is not something the affects the league.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I've never heard a GM admit that his own players didn't like a particular move.

Anyway, it's a huge add for the present. What it means for the future remains to be seen.

If there weren't any consequences to the team structure at all, Nylander would already be signed.

Based on who is agent is and the history of his negotiating tactics I'm going to say nah. It's not like the Leafs would've caved to Willy's $8 million demand if Tavares wasn't here.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This manufactured drama is flaccid, yo.

The Toronto Media loves to create narratives and controversy in lieu of of actual analysis or reporting. When things were bad and management and sources were more accessible this was a far easier task than it is today. Now that things are going well and the organization is more restricted, they've had to create drama where there isn't any.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Well if things weren't happy you think he would tell the truth? He would say that if the players are happy or not (not saying Tavares isn't a positive addition because at least for now he is).

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I still don't get why the media made a big deal about not wanting to talk to Montreal before he signed. Given their team's potential and unless I'm mistaken, he has no roots to Montreal anyway.

Feels like another overblown thing that Dubas had to address.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yep. This guy keeps posting things on the main board that are clearly Leafs board material. It's getting old, fast.
Was the same poster that unnecessarily got innocent leafs fans entangled into the Matthews > McDavid debates after a couple of games last season.

I feel for some of you guys.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Three months later and still crying. I love it.
If the same thing happened to your team with a FA leaving like he did, you wouldn't be too happy with it. No need to rub it in their face.

That being said, the Isles will be okay. Barzal looks like a boss and they hit homeruns this past draft.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I haven’t seen the A argument once. B is at least someone legitimate. You’re nuts if you don’t think an agent will bring up Tavares’s contract during their client’s negotiation. They wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad