Dubas puts to bed the "Leafs players aren't happy about Tavares"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
So we are allowed to post unsubstantiated comments and there is no issue, however posting a reply from the GM to these speculations is not ok?

Feel free to use the ignore thread feature.

This is purely Toronto Maple Leafs news that doesn't effect the rest of the league. This isn't a league discussion of "How do you Think Toronto Will Do This Year?"

Should I post Chiarelli's next interview on here too?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This is purely Toronto Maple Leafs news that doesn't effect the rest of the league. This isn't a league discussion of "How do you Think Toronto Will Do This Year?"

Should I post Chiarelli's next interview on here too?

We have Ottawa news for the past month. There are many times we have news relating only to a single team or player. If you dislike the thread, please feel free to utilize the ignore thread feature.

If you have a bigger issue with the Main boards having single player/team discussions sometimes, feel free to bring that up with the site's moderators via a private message so you do not de-rail the thread.

Thanks.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
This is on the mains because...?
So we can have you post on it and view it, which in turn will bring more people to this thread. Duhh

Then we will argue and generalize a fan base, all of sudden theres 20 pages.

People will look and say "Why is this thread 20 pages? And add to the choas.

Or just be normal and if you dont like the topic, change the channel.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Dubas said retaining all their players would happen and Nylander is likely going to miss at least the first game of the season due to a contract dispute.

Dubas is a kid who would do well to learn to not address media rumblings.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Dubas said retaining all their players would happen and Nylander is likely going to miss at least the first game of the season due to a contract dispute.

Dubas is a kid who would do well to learn to not address media rumblings.

What does it matter if he does miss games? What if they all miss a few games? At the end of the day, if it means that they have JT, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander locked in long term for under 37M it will all be worth it. In two years Seattle joins the league and the cap bumps up another 5M and in 5 years, in the middle of their window, the cap will have gone up another 10M

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Exactly. In this interview he claims he went and talked to the players first, asked them how they felt about it, and told them that they would all have to make it work salary wise, and all of them said they were supportive of it and would work together.

Assuming he is being honest here, this interview puts to rest a lot of speculation that has been happening this offseason.

Your second paragraph is the issue though. How many times have GMs lied in interviews, especially about star players? Happens all the time.

No GM is going to come out and admit "yeah, my young star players don't like the major signing I just made"

I never even assumed this was an issue, just saying that a GM stating otherwise doesn't "put it to rest" at all.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What does it matter if he does miss games? What if they all miss a few games? At the end of the day, if it means that they have JT, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander locked in long term for under 37M it will all be worth it. In two years Seattle joins the league and the cap bumps up another 5M and in 5 years, in the middle of their window, the cap will have gone up another 10M

It matters because the GM keeps having to explain things to the media that are nobody's business.

Certainly nothing major yet but I wouldn't be all that pleased with Dubas if I was his boss, I'd tell him to stop talking so much.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So the GM who went out and got Tavares says that everyone was supportive of the move?
Right? He can't be covering his own butt by saying this. I am sure there are those in the room that love it and others that are more meh, especially if it takes away from their playing time and time in the limelight. That being said, it they manage to win a Cup, most probably won't care anymore.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yes, it was a very strange chirp from non-Leafs fans. And then to hear nothing about Burns being annoyed that the Sharks traded for EK. Weird
Maybe because Karlsson's addition to the Sharks does not affect Burns' as much as Tavares' does in Toronto to certain guys like Matthews?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Right? He can't be covering his own butt by saying this. I am sure there are those in the room that love it and others that are more meh, especially if it takes away from their playing time and time in the limelight. That being said, it they manage to win a Cup, most probably won't care anymore.

I would think that most players like a better chance to win.

That being said, I'm not sure how Dubas' remarks change anything.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I’m sure the high end guys love it. His contract just became the bar to shoot for.

It’s the low end guys that will feel the pinch/have to find new teams to play on. It always is.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The signing is already bringing out the consequences, one of the Leafs young stars are on the verge of sitting out regular season games because of financial reasons.

Tavares, good player, but if it’s costing the Leafs their own players. He’s also 28 years old, and forwards/scorers usually have their best years behind them at that point. How will this deal look in 3 years when Tavares is 31 and the young guys aren’t on their ELC anymore?

They should have used the money on defence. Rookie mistake by Dubas

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I’m sure the high end guys love it. His contract just became the bar to shoot for.

It’s the low end guys that will feel the pinch/have to find new teams to play on. It always is.

Slowly turning into the NBA, it is inevitable unfortunately.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The signing is already bringing out the consequences, one of the Leafs young stars are on the verge of sitting out regular season games because of financial reasons.

Tavares, good player, but if it’s costing the Leafs their own players. He’s also 28 years old, and forwards/scorers usually have their best years behind them at that point. How will this deal look in 3 years when Tavares is 31 and the young guys aren’t on their ELC anymore?

They should have used the money on defence. Rookie mistake by Dubas

Dubas clearly loves being in the media. Not a good idea in TMLand.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I see abstraction isn't your forte :laugh:
Lol you’re not wrong.

Any league with a cap will turn out that way eventually. What surprises me more is that the lower tier guys, who there are more of, seem to always follow the ideas of the higher tier guys come CBA renewal time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad