Dubas puts to bed the "Leafs players aren't happy about Tavares"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This whole offseason this has been very common to read in the many Leaf threads that have come up. The argument has been a two part one.

A) That going out and getting Tavares was a dick move for the players (Like Auston) and a slap in the face and he won't be happy to lose "his team"

B) They will point to Tavares and say "You went outside the organization and paid this guy, I want you to pay me like that".

Auston had an interview where he said that he was happy he came and put these rumors to be, however a recent interview from the Athletic with the Leafs GM Dubas he goes into detail about these decisions and talks about how they can fit all these kids

The entire interview is a good read and can be read here

One-on-one with Leafs GM Kyle Dubas: On Babcock, offer...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
So the GM who went out and got Tavares says that everyone was supportive of the move?

Exactly. In this interview he claims he went and talked to the players first, asked them how they felt about it, and told them that they would all have to make it work salary wise, and all of them said they were supportive of it and would work together.

Assuming he is being honest here, this interview puts to rest a lot of speculation that has been happening this offseason.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Assuming he is being honest here, this interview puts to rest a lot of speculation that has been happening this offseason.

I've never heard a GM admit that his own players didn't like a particular move.

Anyway, it's a huge add for the present. What it means for the future remains to be seen.

If there weren't any consequences to the team structure at all, Nylander would already be signed.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Well we know Matthews doesn't mind. By admission of both he and Tavares, Matthews reached out during the recruiting process asking Tavares to sign with Toronto. Neither player has much reason to lie about something like that.

Marner probably doesn't mind. Being a Leafs fan his whole life, I would speculate that he was hoping Tavares would be a Leaf long before it ever came to fruition.

Kadri would certainly welcome the move. He and Tavares have been chummy since juniors, and Kadri knows his role won't change much from what it was last season.

Nylander? You could speculate that he might be grumpy about it, and I think that's reasonable, but no one knows for sure. Not a lot of talk has come out regarding his reasons for the hold-out.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This whole offseason this has been very common to read in the many Leaf threads that have come up. The argument has been a two part one.

A) That going out and getting Tavares was a dick move for the players (Like Auston) and a slap in the face and he won't be happy to lose "his team"

B) They will point to Tavares and say "You went outside the organization and paid this guy, I want you to pay me like that".

Auston had an interview where he said that he was happy he came and put these rumors to be, however a recent interview from the Athletic with the Leafs GM Dubas he goes into detail about these decisions and talks about how they can fit all these kids

The entire interview is a good read and can be read here

One-on-one with Leafs GM Kyle Dubas: On Babcock, offer...
Should be on the leafs board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not sure that Nylander is a fan of it...

Leafs are in tough position. Whatever they give Nylander, Marner will ask for a couple of mil more... and Matthews vice versa to Marner.

I'm guessing this is how the players see it:
Tavares = $12million
AM = $12million
MM = $10million
WN = $8million

This is how management sees it:
Tavares = $12million
AM = $10.5million
MM = $7.5million
WN = $6.5million

Problem is, AM likely wants to be the highest paid on the team, deservedly so. Which messes up the others.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not sure that Nylander is a fan of it...

Leafs are in tough position. Whatever they give Nylander, Marner will ask for a couple of mil more... and Matthews vice versa to Marner.
Which is why Dubas won't cave in and is willing to hold out. Nylander sets the precedent for the other two.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Tavares = $12million
AM = $12million
MM = $10million
WN = $8million

Tavares = $12million
AM = $10.5million
MM = $7.5million
WN = $6.5million

Problem is, AM likely wants to be the highest paid on the team, deservedly so. Which messes up the others.

Of course we can speculate on all of this until it happens. The Nylander deal will give everyone a better idea of where they will slot I think. However the takeaway is still that they made sure

A) Everyone was ok sharing the spotlight

B) Everyone knew that if they got him, everyone would have to take a little less to keep the team together.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Exactly. In this interview he claims he went and talked to the players first, asked them how they felt about it, and told them that they would all have to make it work salary wise, and all of them said they were supportive of it and would work together.

Not sure he had this conversation with JT!! He did the team no favors at all signing that contract.

Or did you mean that the current Leaf players would have to take a pay cut to allow the signing of JT's over priced contract?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Tavares = $12million
AM = $12million
MM = $10million
WN = $8million

Tavares = $12million
AM = $10.5million
MM = $7.5million
WN = $6.5million

Why do you have Tavares priced higher then his contract? Tavares makes 11 million.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
well ofcourse he will say that even if players were pissed... nobody will ever know the truth.

IMO obviously some players hated the idea cause all of a sudden 11 mill is tied up per year so that is potentially less money they will get

But who really cares... every team goes thru this that are contenders and go get big named UFAs

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Not sure he had this conversation with JT!! He did the team no favors at all signing that contract.

Or did you mean that the current Leaf players would have to take a pay cut to allow the signing of JT's over priced contract?

JT declined 13M AAV from the Sharks, meaning he chose to take 2M less per season coming to the Leafs. Saying he milked the team is incorrect, as he took below market value.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
After reading this, its a breath of fresh air that everyone from players, coach, managment is on the same page. I just hope our fellow Canadian teams follow suit.

Strong leadership determines success in an organization.

I just hope Montreal and Ottawa have a complete overhaul in their leadership group.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
After reading this, its a breath of fresh air that everyone from players, coach, managment is on the same page. I just hope our fellow Canadian teams follow suit.

Strong leadership determines success in an organization.

I just hope Montreal and Ottawa have a complete overhaul in their leadership group.

Strong leadership still doesn't have contracts for Nylander, Marner or Matthews. Lets wait and see what those deals look like first.

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Tavares = $12million
AM = $12million
MM = $10million
WN = $8million

Tavares = $12million
AM = $10.5million
MM = $7.5million
WN = $6.5million

Why does JT have an extra million?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So the GM who went out and got Tavares says that everyone was supportive of the move?
Right on.

Not all that enlightening.
I highly doubt even one player is upset they acquired a high end player.

I could see them leveraging his contract for their own purposes but that was to be expected.

Matthews wasn't going to demand a trade!

Reactions: Tracer Bullet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad