TSN: Dubas on TSN2 Aug 3rd.: “We’re gonna give Rasmus and Timothy every chance to make the team”

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If only the Bruins and Bolts heard about this no-rookie-D rule.

It's not a rule just a really bad idea when you are all in for a championship and when I look at this team and I see Matthews, Tavares, Marner Nylander Kapanen Johnsson, Kerfoot, Spezza and Hyman up front.

And I see Rielly Muzzin, Barrie and to a lesser extent Ceci on .

And I see Andersen in net .

That is a team that's all in for a championship this season.

Next year when at least 2 of Ceci Barrie and Muzzin are gone bring in Sandin and Lily then but not this year this year they should be held out because this year is about winning the cup.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
yes, they weren't perfect last year. and they won't be perfect in the nhl. that's hockey. even veterans make mistakes and get schooled on the regular, let alone rookies.

but they were the best dmen on the 7th best team in the AHL, and conference finalists - as teenagers. which is incredible.

leafs are literally the only fanbase that can see that and literally root against them making the big team.

“The guys have proven to be capable,” Keefe said. “I’ve said it before that, certainly in Sandin’s and Liljegren’s case ... if not for their development and their ability to take on extra responsibility throughout the season, we’re probably not even playing in the playoffs. Those guys are huge parts of our team.”

“If we can defend less, it’s an advantage for us. At the same time, when it does come time to defend, I think Liljegren has been as good as any guy we’ve had. There are no easy shifts. He’s defended really well. Broke up a lot of rushes. His body positioning has been great. Sandin’s been good at that as well."

Hey Zeke...

here's the thing though...both guys do show weaknesses in their game and Fine tuning your game just isn't done once you get to the show, all of those fine details need to be perfected in the AHL...an NHL team does not have the time (nor the ability-coaches get burnt for next to nothing) to play developer for the kids, that is the point of the AHL...if Lilegren and Sandin show well rounded games for what the Leafs envision them as then they'll stick...if there is ANY work that needs to be done then they need to get back to Coach Keefe and iron those issues out...I want them on the Leafs, but we also don't want to turn one of them into a Luke Schenn (into the NHL way too early) and have their careers crater...
I would bet Dubas has a lot riding on these two panning out...as such you can't be too careful

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The way I see it, we just need 1 d-man and we're pretty well set. Ideally someone a little more defensively oriented, but he needs to be able to skate and not handle a puck like a grenade to have any chance in our system.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - ?????
Sandin - Liljegren

Maybe that guy can be Kivihalme. I don't know anything really about him.
Behind this we still have depth in Holl, Harpur, Marincin, Gravel.
We are sitting pretty well imo

Depending on what happens with Marner, if we have a couple mil, I'd love to see us get someone like Hutton for depth. Maybe Lovejoy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hey Zeke...

here's the thing though...both guys do show weaknesses in their game and Fine tuning your game just isn't done once you get to the show, all of those fine details need to be perfected in the AHL...an NHL team does not have the time (nor the ability-coaches get burnt for next to nothing) to play developer for the kids, that is the point of the AHL...if Lilegren and Sandin show well rounded games for what the Leafs envision them as then they'll stick...if there is ANY work that needs to be done then they need to get back to Coach Keefe and iron those issues out...I want them on the Leafs, but we also don't want to turn one of them into a Luke Schenn (into the NHL way too early) and have their careers crater...
I would bet Dubas has a lot riding on these two panning out...as such you can't be too careful

Rookies will make mistakes.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Rather have a positive impact player that makes mistakes over a no-name Gravel that does nothing positive but might make less mistakes.

We're not winning many games 2-1, play whoever feeds the forwards best.

From the development side as well, you don't learn to defend against Crosby by practicing against AHL grinders in the same way you don't get ready for University exams by practicing gradeschool math over and over.

Last edited:

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Are you implying they can't play in the NHL until they're perfect?

:facepalm: no I am not implying anything...I am directly saying if there are holes in their game whether it be D-zone coverage, zone exits whatever it may be, the AHL is the place to fix that not the NHL...
and no they don't have to be perfect but they better be damn good Dmen before they hit the ice (Lillegren had an up and down year, he had a good playoffs but I would like to see some consistency before he steps on the ice as a member of the Leafs)
Sandin is making huge strides but his D zone game needs work (he needs to be used like Lillegren was this year) just to round his game out...

This isn't an indictment on the kids lol I am saying be sure they have completely rounded out games before they appear as Leafs full time...I don't know why this is so difficult for people to understand lol

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
:facepalm: no I am not implying anything...I am directly saying if there are holes in their game whether it be D-zone coverage, zone exits whatever it may be, the AHL is the place to fix that not the NHL...
and no they don't have to be perfect but they better be damn good Dmen before they hit the ice (Lillegren had an up and down year, he had a good playoffs but I would like to see some consistency before he steps on the ice as a member of the Leafs)
Sandin is making huge strides but his D zone game needs work (he needs to be used like Lillegren was this year) just to round his game out...

This isn't an indictment on the kids lol I am saying be sure they have completely rounded out games before they appear as Leafs full time...I don't know why this is so difficult for people to understand lol
I agree. Sandin looked like he was ready based on late season play and then crazy great 1st and 2nd round playoff play. Then we all saw in 3rd round wow he can't make same outlets when playing against a team with NHL level speed and gap control systems. I guess some people will look at it and say well there are 2 or 3 teams in AHL where he can continue to develop against but against most AHL teams he is wasting his time. But overall he is better off over developing in AHL then struggling in the NHL.
Lily got better as season progressed and his defensive game has improved. My issue with his game is even though he looks more muscular now he is still too easily moved off the puck in his own end and on his butt. I don't even care that he adds nothing in the attacking end. He is not dominating at the AHL level so like Sandin he needs to play more hockey and he needs more game time developing his offensive game as he has the skating and speed to do it. The tools are there. and quite frankly Keefe needs to be told to give him the opportunity. Sandin does not need to get it all.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I agree. Sandin looked like he was ready based on late season play and then crazy great 1st and 2nd round playoff play. Then we all saw in 3rd round wow he can't make same outlets when playing against a team with NHL level speed and gap control systems. I guess some people will look at it and say well there are 2 or 3 teams in AHL where he can continue to develop against but against most AHL teams he is wasting his time. But overall he is better off over developing in AHL then struggling in the NHL.
Lily got better as season progressed and his defensive game has improved. My issue with his game is even though he looks more muscular now he is still too easily moved off the puck in his own end and on his butt. I don't even care that he adds nothing in the attacking end. He is not dominating at the AHL level so like Sandin he needs to play more hockey and he needs more game time developing his offensive game as he has the skating and speed to do it. The tools are there. and quite frankly Keefe needs to be told to give him the opportunity. Sandin does not need to get it all.

I answered from the starting point that Lillegren would make the team out of camp (as much as I think he should be in the AHL for 1 more year) which is why I stated Sandin should be used similarly to how Lily was used this year :thumbu:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I answered from the starting point that Lillegren would make the team out of camp (as much as I think he should be in the AHL for 1 more year) which is why I stated Sandin should be used similarly to how Lily was used this year :thumbu:
99% odds are they are the starting pair for Marlies next season. They should both play the 1st PP and late in all games to protect leads. This BS Keefe has to play same PP as leafs so when guys get called up there is less learning time is holding Lily back. The AHL is about development and missing #1 unit PP time is holding Lily back.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Sergachev was pretty bad defensively too :laugh: Tampa's D as a whole wasn't exactly the most experienced.

So much for that idea.

Not even talking about Sergachev. He's highly talented and last season was his second year. Talking about Cernak.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The way I see it, we just need 1 d-man and we're pretty well set. Ideally someone a little more defensively oriented, but he needs to be able to skate and not handle a puck like a grenade to have any chance in our system.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - ?????
Sandin - Liljegren

Maybe that guy can be Kivihalme. I don't know anything really about him.
Behind this we still have depth in Holl, Harpur, Marincin, Gravel.
We are sitting pretty well imo

Depending on what happens with Marner, if we have a couple mil, I'd love to see us get someone like Hutton for depth. Maybe Lovejoy.

Schmaltz too, who is a RD.

Personally I think the first part of the season is an audition to win depth spots and the last spot in the top 6. I think it'll be Harpur vs. Schmaltz since the Leafs went out of their way to get both of them, but obviously Sandin or Liljegren could easily swoop in (as could Marincin, Kivihalme, Lindgren, Gravel, etc.).

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Their games are broken? How?

Do you even like, watch these guys, and know what you are talking about?

:facepalm: so they're perfect hockey players?
like Lillegren doesn't get shoved around too easily in his own zone? (he sure spent a lot of time getting knocked over if thats the case)
Sandin doesn't have issues against AHL teams that are populated with potential NHL'ers?(his 3rd round of the playoffs didn't expose some issues at this point?)
Do you watch them at all? nobody said they sucked I just said they aren't ready for the NHL yet take a breath :soap: :surrender

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
:facepalm: so they're perfect hockey players?
like Lillegren doesn't get shoved around too easily in his own zone? (he sure spent a lot of time getting knocked over if thats the case)
Sandin doesn't have issues against AHL teams that are populated with potential NHL'ers?(his 3rd round of the playoffs didn't expose some issues at this point?)
Do you watch them at all? nobody said they sucked I just said they aren't ready for the NHL yet take a breath :soap: :surrender

How does anyone know if they're ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad