TSN: Dubas on TSN2 Aug 3rd.: “We’re gonna give Rasmus and Timothy every chance to make the team”

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Was on the intermission panel with Tessa Bonhomme during the CAN/USA game and asked about Sandin and Liljegren’s progress so far, and had that to say. Sounds like Dubas believes they may be closer than most people think.

Also said the typical blah blah blah stuff about Marner, hopes to get it done soon, they’re optimistic etc

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Isn’t he stating the obvious? Why would you discount them? The bottom pairing is wide open

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Isn’t he stating the obvious? Why would you discount them? The bottom pairing is wide open
I'm pretty sure last year Babcock said something about them not having any chance to make the team. It should definitely be open for them to grab a spot

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ya we should probably give them a shot. I mean we have multiple 1sts in play this and last year.

Jake lost 1st not trading
Jake Muzzin paid 1st + loss if not signed
Barrie is a lost 1st+ if not signed
Marleau spent 1st to rid

Ideally I would want Lilj/Sandin to make the team, Muzzin traded for 1st, Barrie signed and Gardiner on a short term signed.

That maximizes our expenses and asset values.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I mean, he’s not going to exactly say they have no shot and won’t make it.

But, I do believe it. He said last season they expected Liljegren to challenge for a spot by the end of the year, if it weren’t for his injury.

And honestly, I think there’s a good chance he makes it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Funny enough if we want defence, Lilly is better then all the guys you mentioned. Sandin is better offensively then all those guys.

If the back half of the Marlies season is any indication Liljegren is the best bottom pair 5v5 option and Sandin still needs some seasoning in the AHL defensively

The only question I have is will they be looking for somebody on the bottom pair RD that can PK because that could mean they hold off on promoting Liljegren, for the first half of the season anyway

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm pretty sure last year Babcock said something about them not having any chance to make the team. It should definitely be open for them to grab a spot

It was the right decision not giving them an NHL spot last year... it would have been poor asset management and could have ruined their development. Neither were ready to be on the Leafs, and even if they were (they weren't), it would have impacted our decisions for the expansion draft.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
"They're not taking anyone's job. It's just flat out impossible at this point."
he said that on Sept 20th last year, with plenty of time left in preseason. I think it was after their first game after they had a great showing.
oh thought you meant this year I was like when did I miss that lol.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
The reason the leafs couldn't really do much last year is entirely because the Leafs absolutely needed cap space... they could not in any way use LTIR. They had to do everything under the cap.

Near the end of the year, Liljegren would have been good to come up because there'd be no way to hit his bonuses. They aren't much, but it's $400k real cap so it wasn't worth the risk. But they decided against it and opted to get muzzin instead.

This year, however, is no holds barred. They are tapping LTIR with cap opening up next season so that means dress all the rookiesssss

Also i remember this analysis a couple years ago that basically stated if your defenseman doesn't hit the NHL by age 21, he's likely not going to be a star. We kind of have it in our head that defensemen take longer but it's not really true... some do work out over time but the real good ones need to be in the NHL early just like forwards and the rate of failure increases sharply afterwards. It's just there's only 4 prime D slots on every team so 1 working out after 21 kinda messes with our view of things.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Babcock factor will keep them out. Even if they exceed expectations and are the obvious choice come game one.
IMO, there will be no apprentices in the starting lineup on this team, its all about the W at this point

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings4Life

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What else is he going to say.
He is going to say that he is really optmi about a Marner deal. He is going to mention that other RFAs are in similar situations. He hopes that are PTOs work out here or elsewhere. He would thank the panel for having him on. Basically, things that anyone with knowledge of what happing with the team would say when they want to inform people about what is going on with the Leafs. This is what he did say: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/dubas-talks-leafs-prospects-marner-contract-update~1745656

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Keefe on Lil’s season.

“Absolutely, LIljegren didn’t have a great start to the year, and he had his own injury problems. The high ankle sprain really set him back a number of weeks. Through that time, I’m not sure if it was the additional time in the gym, or the time with the skilled coaches, or just the time away from the daily grind in the daily schedule, when he came back from that injury, he had gotten better every time out. I think he’s playing his best hockey for us right now. That really helped us turn the corner. It was like adding a defenceman to our lineup that was really able to take on these minutes. We were giving him these minutes early in the season, but it wasn’t going as well, and it was hurting our team, but he has really stabilized his game, and taken very big steps, and our team has benefited from it.”

Note the complete and utter disconnect between the coach and the tire pumping Dubas. Dubas was telling media Lil was coming up if he hadn’t been hurt, yet the coach was saying he didn’t even deserve the minutes he was getting, he was actually hurting the team prior to his injury. Now Keefe is very complimentary when he came back, I think we all agree he played very well. The point is, Dubas pumps our prospects, which he should do, but clearly the coach didn’t see him as pushing for an NHL job when Dubas was suggesting it, in fact he was barely holding his AHL job, if merit was your guide. Dubas’ comment was myth and PR, or the coach Dubas adores was watching a different player. As for this camp, both kids will have to steal a job,I predict the Dermott model for Lil....hopefully strong camp, goes down, dominates and comes up mid season. That would be fantastic development curve.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad