TSN: Dubas on TSN2 Aug 3rd.: “We’re gonna give Rasmus and Timothy every chance to make the team”

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
September.

I have no idea ...

Sandin - 19 - LH
Liljegren - 20 - RH
Hollowell - 21 - RH
Duszak - 22 - RH
Lindgren - 22 - RH
Kivihalme - 24 - LH
Gravel - 27 - LH (106 NHL games)

Kaberle was a 20 year old rookie and eventually there is going to be another out-of-nowhere player arrive and steal a job.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Even with Dermott out at the start of the season there is Harpur, Marincin and Gravol (which isn't even counting Kivihalme) on the left and Schmaltz and Holl on the right.

Neither Liljegren or Sandin are making it out of camp. Either might get a couple games down the stretch if the team wants to see where they might be the following year.

Before trading Zaitsev Dubas said that they were not trading him unless they received a comparable D back and stressed that they had no intentions of rushing prospects. Since then they had added more depth and better balanced that depth (trading LHD Borgman for RHD Schmaltz).

Dubas says things to keep players motivated (like his Christmas comment about injured Liljegren). No one should take them seriously.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Even with Dermott out at the start of the season there is Harpur, Marincin and Gravol (which isn't even counting Kivihalme) on the left and Schmaltz and Holl on the right.

Neither Liljegren or Sandin are making it out of camp. Either might get a couple games down the stretch if the team wants to see where they might be the following year.

Before trading Zaitsev Dubas said that they were not trading him unless they received a comparable D back and stressed that they had no intentions of rushing prospects. Since then they had added more depth and better balanced that depth (trading LHD Borgman for RHD Schmaltz).

Dubas says things to keep players motivated (like his Christmas comment about injured Liljegren). No one should take them seriously.
I don't really consider that a lot of competition. I'd say that if you step out of training camp with any one of Harpur, Gravel, Schmaltz or Holl having won a spot, then that's a failure for the rest of your depth at the position. Those should be the worst case scenario players to fill those spots.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Both acknowledge the obvious and commit to nothing. We learn exactly nothing from either quote.

There are clear differences between portraying a player as having an inside track or an outside chance of making the roster.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't really consider that a lot of competition. I'd say that if you step out of training camp with any one of Harpur, Gravel, Schmaltz or Holl having won a spot, then that's a failure for the rest of your depth at the position. Those should be the worst case scenario players to fill those spots.

A failure for the rest of your depth at the position...? Really? It couldn't possibly be that one of them impressed in camp, and took a step forward in their development?

Reactions: Wings4Life

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A failure for the rest of your depth at the position...? Really? It couldn't possibly be that one of them impressed in camp, and took a step forward in their development?
They are around 25 or older, all of them. Very few players take significant development steps at that age. In all likelihood, they are what they are, and what they are is proven lackluster options. In my opinion, of course. That's a low bar to beat, and I would be disappointed if Sandin or Liljegren wasn't capable of being decent third pairing options at this point.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it's pretty unlikely any of those players are going to take big steps forward. Especially Harpur

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
They are around 25 or older, all of them. Very few players take significant development steps at that age. In all likelihood, they are what they are, and what they are is proven lackluster options. In my opinion, of course. That's a low bar to beat, and I would be disappointed if Sandin or Liljegren wasn't capable of being decent third pairing options at this point.

it's pretty unlikely any of those players are going to take big steps forward. Especially Harpur

I think Harpur is going to surprise you guys. 24 year old kid that has played difficult minutes in the NHL. He can easily handle 3rd line duties in a more sheltered role...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Harpur is going to surprise you guys. 24 year old kid that has played difficult minutes in the NHL. He can easily handle 3rd line duties in a more sheltered role...
Don't you think it's a little premature to say he can easily handle it?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Don't you think it's a little premature to say he can easily handle it?

Don’t you think it’s premature to write him off completely?

I don’t think it’s premature at all. He played B quality competition with Ottawa. It’s not far-fetched to suggest one can thrive given an easier situation.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You could say that about all of the guys listed above. Playing heavily sheltered minutes is doable for most bubble NHLers.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Lil was nowhere ready for the NHL beginning last season...I mean that was obvious to anyone with a clue or lack of agenda. Not a slight either, this is really the first camp I see a chance, outside, but who knows. Kid could have a bright future, we’ve groomed him well to date.

Just to add on the Babcock front, he let it slip late in camp last year during his daily that the brass thought Lil was mediocre in the rookie camp, they were disappointed.

As an aside, Dubas is a bit smooth with the press. I don’t take him as literal as others. He’s an advocate and he’s very aware of what he’s saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Primary Assist

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Both of them need at least one full season in AHL. No need to rush young players. For cap standpoint it's also better to let them to play in AHL. They can't ask for big dime if they only have one season in NHL.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
What's your take on Kivihalme? Have you seen him play?

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
But why rush them if there not needed yet. I'd like them dominate and bring them in for a couple games

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Asset management tells me give the kids a full camp and send them down to start the season.
No need to expose them to waivers unlike I assume some of the other depth D. Then if additional occur they will be a little riper and better prepared for the opp.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
And what's your take?
I'm very high on him from what I've seen (video clips) more from what I've read about him though.

I liked what I saw, his positioning and 4 way mobility are very strong and he's great at advancing the puck through the neutral zone and out of his own zone, be it passing or skating

I don't see him scoring much, 15-20 points maybe because while his vision and puck advancement skills are good they don't look high end to me and with less time I can't see him scoring a ton

He's played on smaller ice so that's good but he's playing against a very average QOC in Finland, it's very hard to say how he will translate but I think if everything goes well he could be a solid 2way #5D

I also wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team out of camp either, he better suits the teams makeup with his skating and puck moving rather than the Gravel and Harper types

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I liked what I saw, his positioning and 4 way mobility are very strong and he's great at advancing the puck through the neutral zone and out of his own zone, be it passing or skating

I don't see him scoring much, 15-20 points maybe because while his vision and puck advancement skills are good they don't look high end to me and with less time I can't see him scoring a ton

He's played on smaller ice so that's good but he's playing against a very average QOC in Finland, it's very hard to say how he will translate but I think if everything goes well he could be a solid 2way #5D

I also wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team out of camp either, he better suits the teams makeup with his skating and puck moving rather than the Gravel and Harper types
Thanks. That mirrors my thoughts. I see him as the one that will block sandin from making it this year.

Reactions: nuck and Kiwi

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Keefe on Lil’s season.

“Absolutely, LIljegren didn’t have a great start to the year, and he had his own injury problems. The high ankle sprain really set him back a number of weeks. Through that time, I’m not sure if it was the additional time in the gym, or the time with the skilled coaches, or just the time away from the daily grind in the daily schedule, when he came back from that injury, he had gotten better every time out. I think he’s playing his best hockey for us right now. That really helped us turn the corner. It was like adding a defenceman to our lineup that was really able to take on these minutes. We were giving him these minutes early in the season, but it wasn’t going as well, and it was hurting our team, but he has really stabilized his game, and taken very big steps, and our team has benefited from it.”

Note the complete and utter disconnect between the coach and the tire pumping Dubas. Dubas was telling media Lil was coming up if he hadn’t been hurt, yet the coach was saying he didn’t even deserve the minutes he was getting, he was actually hurting the team prior to his injury. Now Keefe is very complimentary when he came back, I think we all agree he played very well. The point is, Dubas pumps our prospects, which he should do, but clearly the coach didn’t see him as pushing for an NHL job when Dubas was suggesting it, in fact he was barely holding his AHL job, if merit was your guide. Dubas’ comment was myth and PR, or the coach Dubas adores was watching a different player. As for this camp, both kids will have to steal a job,I predict the Dermott model for Lil....hopefully strong camp, goes down, dominates and comes up mid season. That would be fantastic development curve.

I see it as no more than Dubas pumping the tires of some assets.

Reactions: nuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad