TSN: Dubas on TSN2 Aug 3rd.: “We’re gonna give Rasmus and Timothy every chance to make the team”

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
so the expected "lip service" form dubas; what else is new? one day i'd like to hear dubas saying he effed up the matthews deal and that had implications on marner deal and had potential impact on team composition to not ice as competitive a roster as the team could have in a salary cap world

Reactions: yubbers

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
so the expected "lip service" form dubas; what else is new? one day i'd like to hear dubas saying he effed up the matthews deal and that had implications on marner deal and had potential impact on team composition to not ice as competitive a roster as the team could have in a salary cap world
I doubt Dubas is going to lie just because you would like it.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why is this a thread? Of course he said that... What else would he say?

"No chance, these guys aren't good enough"?

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Keefe on Lil’s season.

“Absolutely, LIljegren didn’t have a great start to the year, and he had his own injury problems. The high ankle sprain really set him back a number of weeks. Through that time, I’m not sure if it was the additional time in the gym, or the time with the skilled coaches, or just the time away from the daily grind in the daily schedule, when he came back from that injury, he had gotten better every time out. I think he’s playing his best hockey for us right now. That really helped us turn the corner. It was like adding a defenceman to our lineup that was really able to take on these minutes. We were giving him these minutes early in the season, but it wasn’t going as well, and it was hurting our team, but he has really stabilized his game, and taken very big steps, and our team has benefited from it.”

Note the complete and utter disconnect between the coach and the tire pumping Dubas. Dubas was telling media Lil was coming up if he hadn’t been hurt, yet the coach was saying he didn’t even deserve the minutes he was getting, he was actually hurting the team prior to his injury. Now Keefe is very complimentary when he came back, I think we all agree he played very well. The point is, Dubas pumps our prospects, which he should do, but clearly the coach didn’t see him as pushing for an NHL job when Dubas was suggesting it, in fact he was barely holding his AHL job, if merit was your guide. Dubas’ comment was myth and PR, or the coach Dubas adores was watching a different player. As for this camp, both kids will have to steal a job,I predict the Dermott model for Lil....hopefully strong camp, goes down, dominates and comes up mid season. That would be fantastic development curve.

Every coach/ GM will end a discussion about a prospect with encouraging words and there is NO disconnect between Keefe and Dubas on this. I see nothing here.

Sandin has definitely surpassed Lily on the depth chart. They were a fun pair to watch during the Calder Cup playoffs. They generated alot of chances but also often coughed up the puck like riverboats gamblers. This was a significant problem against Charlotte.

One other factor is that we are going to need some pk mins from out bottom 2 D and I think its a bad bet to put one of these guys in that spot all things being close to equal.

Of course a GM will say everyone will be given a chance in camp and that is true for these 2.

Lilly could be an option if he were paired with a pker like Harpur but Harpur will have alot to prove to make this club and starting with a rookie D partner has risks.

I see them as the Marlies first pair to start and ready for the jump later in the season. With great puck moving prospects like Duszak, Hollowell and Kivi on the Marlies as well, that will be one fun blue line to watch!

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I'd expect one or both to compete for a bottom pairing role, yeah.

I suspect that the hope is that Harpur and Schmaltz are their AHL replacements.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They don't have a lot of quality ahead of them for the bottom spots. at least one should make it.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Think about Sandin and Liljegren's two biggest competitors on each side. Sandin is up against Harpur (yuck) and Marincin (yuck), while Tim is up against Schmaltz (probably 7th D) and Holl (Babs already gave up on him).

Not to say this is the only reason, but these two actually seem to have a legit shot based on who they're competing against.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If they had played last year, then we would have had to protect them in the Seattle expansion draft.

That is no longer an issue.
Yeah I don't mind that they didn't play. I just don't think it's true that the Leafs have to say they have a shot at making the team, so I believe Dubas when he says they do

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It was the right decision not giving them an NHL spot last year... it would have been poor asset management and could have ruined their development. Neither were ready to be on the Leafs, and even if they were (they weren't), it would have impacted our decisions for the expansion draft.

It was probably the right decision, but it still hurt our team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Why is this a thread? Of course he said that... What else would he say?

"No chance, these guys aren't good enough"?

"They could make it if they really show well but it'll be tough and theyll have to steal someone's job, and they could probably use more seasoning."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs defense is very suspect this year so the opportunity for one of the kids to make the squad exists.

Dermott being out for the first month or two opens the LHD spot for Sandin where it wouldn't be there without that injury.

Liljegren competition on the RHD is easier to crack.

The best long-term benefit of 1 making the team so that you break up the need to break in 2 rookies at once and think you can be Cup competitive.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs defense is very suspect this year so the opportunity for one of the kids to make the squad exists.

Dermott being out for the first month or two opens the LHD spot for Sandin where it wouldn't be there without that injury.

Liljegren competition on the RHD is easier to crack.

The best long-term benefit of 1 making the team so that you break up the need to break in 2 rookies at once and think you can be Cup competitive.

Weird that Boston and tampa and their great defenses also are crazy enough to break in 19 and 20 yr old rookie dmen and think they can contend.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think Liljegren has a leg up on Sandin, but both of are on the fasttrack to being contributing Leafs.

I think Tim will get a look right out of camp with the defense starting the season depleted.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As for this camp, both kids will have to steal a job,I predict the Dermott model for Lil....hopefully strong camp, goes down, dominates and comes up mid season. That would be fantastic development curve.

8 defencemen drafted in 2016 played over 40 games in the NHL last year.

Liljegren playing this year would be the equivalent of those drafted in 2016 last year.

Mikhail Sergachev

Victor Mete

Samuel Girard

Jakob Chychrun

Dennis Cholowski

Charlie McAvoy

Maxime Lajoie

Filip Hronek
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Every coach/ GM will end a discussion about a prospect with encouraging words and there is NO disconnect between Keefe and Dubas on this. I see nothing here.

Sandin has definitely surpassed Lily on the depth chart. They were a fun pair to watch during the Calder Cup playoffs. They generated alot of chances but also often coughed up the puck like riverboats gamblers. This was a significant problem against Charlotte.

One other factor is that we are going to need some pk mins from out bottom 2 D and I think its a bad bet to put one of these guys in that spot all things being close to equal.

Of course a GM will say everyone will be given a chance in camp and that is true for these 2.

Lilly could be an option if he were paired with a pker like Harpur but Harpur will have alot to prove to make this club and starting with a rookie D partner has risks.

I see them as the Marlies first pair to start and ready for the jump later in the season. With great puck moving prospects like Duszak, Hollowell and Kivi on the Marlies as well, that will be one fun blue line to watch!
Agree, no disconnect, never took Dubas public comment seriously, obviously the reality was otherwise as Keefe clearly stated. That was the point.

Reactions: 54thecup

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
8 defencemen drafted in 2016 played over 40 games in the NHL last year.

Liljegren playing this year would be the equivalent of those drafted in 2016 last year.

Mikhail Sergachev
Victor Mete
Samuel Girard
Jakob Chychrun
Dennis Cholowski
Charlie McAvoy
Maxime Lajoie
Filip Hronek
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yup. It's time for liljegren to play some NHL games this year

Rielly - Ceci

Muzzin - Barrie