Speculation: Dubas on the Leafs defense

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Absolutely. IIRC Liljegren is going on 2-3 weeks now and will be re-evaluated by Sweden's medical staff in the coming weeks to see if he can clear. Otherwise, he will sit out the WJC and continue to rehab but either way I doubt we see him called up now. Going to take some time for him to get back up to speed. Luckily Sandin has stepped up massively in his absence.
They are one of those injuries like a pulled groin that you can play with, but really affects your skating, which obviously affects your overall game. Nino fought one for most of last year, with predictable results. My son had one, and had to take a month off, basically, and his sport is less demanding (baseball).

Reactions: Saint Blue

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Lily is out with a high ankle sprain. The way Dubas spoke today, if he hadn't been hurt he would have seen some time this year. Now I'd assume next year.
Rosen is a LHD so he really only gets a call up if Gardiner Reilly or Dermott get hurt. But even IF that happens, Marincin and Holl are just sitting every game.
If Gardiner walks, Dermott goes to second pair and 3rd pair becomes Rosen/ Marincin.
I do think people forget that Marincin Liljgren was one of the best pairs in the AHL last year. Maybe they get a chance next year as well.
It strikes me as being at the point where Dubas should be aware of Jakes asking price because he may be better off moving him at the deadline.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Contention in the new NHL comes in 2 waves. Prior to the core signing their prime contracts, and a second wave when the salary cap catches up and those contracts become relatively less costly.

Pittsburgh being the most recent example.

Unfortunately for Toronto, that first window used to be longer. But now with players signing their prime contracts out of the ELC, they will likely be more successful during the second wave which is 3-4 years down the line.
Exactly, once those contracts become "bargains" in future years is the second wave of contention since top players no longer get bridge deals and straight to paydays.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
the truth is dubas is likely pretty dang stoked to have a rielly/dermott/sandin/Liljegren top-4 going forward, and more than comfortable with ozzy/rosen/marincin/holl/borgman/Durzi as bottom pair depth going forward, too.

contrary to popular belief, the leafs have plenty of blueline talent.
Lmao u just listed Rielly Dermot and a bunch of AHLers :laugh:.

Flames have an elite up and coming defense with studs like O Brien, Watson, Paliotta, Doetzel, Raskob who are gonna rocket us into cup contention :sarcasm:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Flames have an elite up and coming defense with studs like O Brien, Watson, Paliotta, Doetzel, Raskob who are gonna rocket us into cup contention :sarcasm:
The Leafs could have been playing Tuuka Rask, Lars Eller, Anton Stralman, Alexander Steen, Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton and plenty of others if they had not traded them or their draft spots away over the years. I'd be happy if they keep their picks and prospects and develop them to maturity without taking shortcuts, thanks.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I certainly did name a number of very good young prospects playing in the AHL.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As good as you think Pesce may be, he's not the tipping point for the Leafs winning or losing a cup.

It may not be.... but if the Leafs do the right deal, it could be a massive step closer to it. As another poster mentioned, these days, you get 2 "waves" to try and win a cup. Right before your best players sign their big deals, and as those deals mature and the cap continues to rise. They've got a window this year.

Looking at this year, Toronto has a very solid 2nd pairing in Gardiner-Zaitsev. Brett Pesce alongside Morgan Rielly gives the Leafs a much more solid top pairing, and Hainsey being pushed down the lineup would be an ideal fit, especially with his versatility to jump back up in case of injuries. It may not be a deal that wins them a cup, but it is a deal that helps them going forward as well.

Reality is, as much as Dubas may say he's trying to do something with Gardiner, he's probably gone as a UFA. He's a highly underrated defenceman, that fits perfectly within our uptempo style of play, but with that production, especially what he does at even strength, somebody is going to have a brinks truck waiting for him, and he'd have to turn down a ton of money to stay with the Leafs.

From Toronto's perspective, it doesn't really make sense for them to start dismantling other areas of the team to squeeze Gardiner in. They have Travis Dermott who's looked very solid this year, and has another year left on his ELC. If he slots into Gardiner's spot, with Liljegren finding his way to the right side of the 3rd pair, you've got 3 solid puckmovers who should all be able to grow with this team into their "2nd wave". Pesce and Zaitsev could be used interchangeably with Rielly & Dermott, giving the Leafs a stronger top pair than they currently have to insulate the mistakes that Dermott will eventually make. Given how cost controlled that blueline would be, they could be in a position to accelerate the "2nd wave" to within a year or two.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Add one of gudas/pysyk,

Push zaitsev down to the third pairing and hainsey to the press box. It's not world beating but it helps them

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think the canes are definitely more likely to move Faulk than Pesce, considering that Faulk is a UFA next year (Will get a bump up in pay) and Pesce has cost certainty for the next 6 years. I could see something worked out for Faulk at the deadline (obviously not with Kapanen involved)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad