Speculation: Dubas on the Leafs defense

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Dermott is second to only Rielly at getting the puck out and up the ice with possession. He needs to be given a shot higher up in the lineup.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Dubas had the opportunity to address the RHD spot long-term in November. He passed. There isn't much out there to be had at the price he's willing to pay at this point. I think they'll end up going into the playoffs with a strong offense and a bit of a patchwork defense. It will be interesting to see if it works out. It could change organizational philosophy leaguewide, if it does.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Dubas had the opportunity to address the RHD spot long-term in November. He passed. There isn't much out there to be had at the price he's willing to pay at this point. I think they'll end up going into the playoffs with a strong offense and a bit of a patchwork defense. It will be interesting to see if it works out. It could change organizational philosophy leaguewide, if it does.
He did?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
With how good the Leafs are offensively and how good Andersen can be, they don't need an amazing defense. However they do need someone better on the right side than Ron Hainsey or Nikita Zaitsev lol
yeah they need like competent d on that side it's really bad.
Hainsey sucks on the pk too now which hurts, zaitsev is hit or miss.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I could see them getting a guy like Braun/Tanev/Psysk or something for picks to take the spot until they can address it internally

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
With how good the Leafs are offensively and how good Andersen can be, they don't need an amazing defense. However they do need someone better on the right side than Ron Hainsey or Nikita Zaitsev lol
If the Leafs make the EFC they'll most likely meet Lightning or Caps and if they made the finals they'd meet Preds or Jets. These teams all have stacked offenses, some even better than the Leafs group, even goalies and they all have a better defensive core than Toronto. Those kind of series are won by not allowing goals and Toronto at the moment isn't good enough defensively to win a 7 game series. They could be, even this year if they manage to get someone great.

The most important thing is imo that although Toronto might not be a top contender at the moment, their core is still very young and they'll have a lot of time to improve if they're able to sign Matthews and Marner so that they survive cap hell.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If the Leafs make the EFC they'll most likely meet Lightning or Caps and if they made the finals they'd meet Preds or Jets. These teams all have stacked offenses, some even better than the Leafs group, even goalies and they all have a better defensive core than Toronto. Those kind of series are won by not allowing goals and Toronto at the moment isn't good enough defensively to win a 7 game series. They could be, even this year if they manage to get someone great.

The most important thing is imo that although Toronto might not be a top contender at the moment, their core is still very young and they'll have a lot of time to improve if they're able to sign Matthews and Marner so that they survive cap hell.

Goals Against / 60

1.NSH 2.43 (91.37sv% - #4)
2.BOS 2.64 (91.56sv% - #2)
6.WPG 2.78 (91.30sv% - #6)
10.TOR 2.80 (91.52sv% - #3)
13.TBL 2.82 (91.09sv% #9)
18.WSH 3.09 (90.27sv% #17)

Maybe HFboards should consider the crazy, insane possibility that the Leafs' dcorps is better than they want it to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Namikaze Minato
Aug 25, 2009
éal
The big move on D is going to be swapping Dermott and Hainsey.
I'm not watching him closely, but I have him in one of my fantasy league so I'm curious. Is he playing better than his stats indicate? He's the only (!!) defenceman Leafs with a minus ratio, and his ice time suggest he's not playing against the opponents best line neither. Also, it look like his offence has suffered a bit of a drop since last year. Then again, I'm asking because I have not watched many Leafs games this year and maybe his play is better than his stats.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think he was more uncomfortable losing a trade.

A hockey trade for a RHD that he wins may not develop. The needs and strengths of one team are rarely in alignment with the stengths and needs of another. I've resigned myself to the idea that a trade won't develop for Carolina at this point for that reason.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'm not watching him closely, but I have him in one of my fantasy league so I'm curious. Is he playing better than his stats indicate? He's the only (!!) defenceman Leafs with a minus ratio, and his ice time suggest he's not playing against the opponents best line neither. Also, it look like his offence has suffered a bit of a drop since last year. Then again, I'm asking because I have not watched many Leafs games this year and maybe his play is better than his stats.
I assume you're talking about Dermott?

Babs has had a plan of telling D men to simply work on the D end of the rink and not worry about the other end.
He did it with Rielly and since he's taken the reigns off, Mo is putting up the points.
So, I don't expect you will get points out of Travis. If that's what you are looking for.
As for being a minus, regardless of what people think of him, Roman Polak was a veteran NHL defender and was Dermott's partner last season. This season Dermott, with all of about 50 NHL games to on his resume, is being tasked with breaking in a rookie. Not a true rookie (played in the K) but Oz has been his partner all season. So, on the one hand, he's a minus player but on the other hand, they see enough to have him with a guy who doesn't speak the language well, is playing on a different sized ice and at a higher level than ever. His minutes are sheltered and I haven't seen an update in a few weeks but he's generally crushing his match ups apparently.

Reactions: De Montreal

Jul 6, 2016
Leafs have all the cards in hand to get a guy like Muzzin. Will they or should they try to get him ?

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
The leafs SV is only good because Andersen stands on his head every night. The defence is noticeably bad when he’s having an off night. A team isn’t going to win when they are constantly being outshot every game. Just seems like they are a team who will kill you on the pp 9 out of 10 times. But when the playoffs roll around you aren’t going to get a lot of those calls and you’ll see how soft this team is

Reactions: Snowman

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It's something they need. Team is good but they need a stud defenseman to become great IMO.

Someone like Shea Weber playing 25+ minutes a night playing next to Rielly would be Babcock's wet dream.

And no we're not interested in trading Weber for anything with Zaitsev involved. :p:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The leafs SV is only good because Andersen stands on his head every night. The defence is noticeably bad when he’s having an off night. A team isn’t going to win when they are constantly being outshot every game. Just seems like they are a team who will kill you on the pp 9 out of 10 times. But when the playoffs roll around you aren’t going to get a lot of those calls and you’ll see how soft this team is
The Leafs don't get any calls either way, so that's not much of an argument.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Leafs have all the cards in hand to get a guy like Muzzin. Will they or should they try to get him ?

If I was dubas, I'd be looking at Muzzin, then flipping Gardiner for assets to relay in a trade of a RHD. Unlikely, but no use in wasting Gardiners value as he walks in FA.

Rielly - Muzzin - Dermott

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

I feel like if he were right handed, considering his age, cost to acquire, contract (this year + 1 more at $4M) people would be salivating at him. But bc he's a lefty, he's often just disregarded.

I don't know, I've wavered back and forth on him. If you did acquire him though then either he or Mo are moving to the right side.

Jul 6, 2016
Someone like Shea Weber playing 25+ minutes a night playing next to Rielly would be Babcock's wet dream.

And no we're not interested in trading Weber for anything with Zaitsev involved. :p:

Right.... Unless they give us Marmer :naughty:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
A hockey trade for a RHD that he wins may not develop. The needs and strengths of one team are rarely in alignment with the stengths and needs of another. I've resigned myself to the idea that a trade won't develop for Carolina at this point for that reason.
I actually agree with you. A trade between TO and Carolina just won't work...Slavin isn't available, and IMO Nylander>Pesce value wise and for the Canes Pesce>Kapanen. Just nothing that fits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad