Speculation: Dubas on the Leafs defense

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Another interesting anecdote is that Toronto had Liljegren in their plans for a call-up post-New Year, but he suffered a high-ankle sprain that will likely require him to rehab with the Marlies for longer than expected. There is still a chance he plays with Sweden at the WJC, but he will be a step behind.

As a 19 year old he is playing top pair, top matchup minutes. So far Liljegren's +1.5% Corsi Rel is second among Marlies D-men. He has 56.8% shot attempts overall and was seeing PP1+PK1 time too. He's been an all-situations work horse for them while scoring at a near .50PPG. He would have been a huge answer for their right side. This might force Dubas' hand.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Re-signing Gardiner makes no sense even if he takes a discount. We are loaded at LD. Dermott is ready for Top4 minutes. Rosen/Borgman are over ripening in the minors and can easily step onto the bottom pairing.

If the blues are gonna blow it up, leafs need to do whatever possible to land Pietrangelo or Parayko. After this season Hainsey is UFA, and in an ideal world, Zaitsev is shipped off elsewhere. Not one quality RD

Cotton

May 13, 2013
They have one, Babcock just doesn’t trust him lol

You mean Rielly, who played over 27 minutes last game.

He trusts him, his first year he played him 25+ alot in the second half, it's the sports science department, they convinced Babs to cap minutes as an injury deterrent.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
The leafs SV is only good because Andersen stands on his head every night. The defence is noticeably bad when he’s having an off night. A team isn’t going to win when they are constantly being outshot every game. Just seems like they are a team who will kill you on the pp 9 out of 10 times. But when the playoffs roll around you aren’t going to get a lot of those calls and you’ll see how soft this team is

Last 5 games flys against everything you said. Their PP is like 1 for their last 22.

vs Florida. Shots 33-32 FLA.
vs Tampa. Shots 49-21 T.O
vs.Carolina. Shots 30-29 Car.
vs Boston. Shots 32-32.
vs Detroit. Shots 32-31 Det.

Leafs are 1-2-2 in the last 5 and the shots were basically even.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Based on what he said today, it sounded like the Leafs plan was;

- Send Liljegren to the World Juniors
- Upon his return, he would go to the NHL roster in early January, much like Dermott did last season
- If Liljegren appeared overwhelmed, he'd be sent back to the Marlies, and the Leafs would look for a trade option to improve puck mobility on the back end.
- If Liljegren fit, and looked good, there's less need for a move.

Now that he's injured, I would assume he'll miss the WJC, and we're likely looking at bringing in a d-man via trade.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I actually agree with you. A trade between TO and Carolina just won't work...Slavin isn't available, and IMO Nylander>Pesce value wise and for the Canes Pesce>Kapanen. Just nothing that fits.

It's not even about Carolina and Toronto in particular. It just so happens that those two teams matched up at this point in time.

In general, a team shouldn't build a roster that is dependent on a trade to complete it. The trade a team wants may not be available at the time it's needed. Years of building on defense for Carolina was to culminate in a trade for a player like Nylander. That didn't happen. No other team has a forward asset of that quality to spare at this point.

Toronto could find itself in a similar situation not too long from now. I'm sure Dubas is aware of that. That's where I'm coming from here. He must be comfortable enough in how the team is built to live with that risk.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It's not even about Carolina and Toronto in particular. It just so happens that those two teams matched up at this point in time.

In general, a team shouldn't build a roster that is dependent on a trade to complete it. The trade a team wants may not be available at the time it's needed. Years of building on defense for Carolina was to culminate in a trade for a player like Nylander. That didn't happen. No other team has a forward asset of that quality to spare at this point.

Toronto could find itself in a similar situation not too long from now. I'm sure Dubas is aware of that. That's where I'm coming from here. He must be comfortable enough in how the team is built to live with that risk.

I think, considering the age of their core, they have all their eggs in a D built on Rielly, Dermott, Liljegren, and Sandin. If it is sufficient depends on the next few years of development of the latter 3, but the Leafs did build this team with that in mind. It just so happens that Matthews, Marner and Nylander being so good so soon accelerated the build.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
With how good the Leafs are offensively and how good Andersen can be, they don't need an amazing defense. However they do need someone better on the right side than Ron Hainsey or Nikita Zaitsev lol

This doesn't even take into account injuries that will happen. Sabres fans thought we had too many D about 2 weeks ago....
but then Scandella, McCabe and Nelson got injured on top of a recovering Hunwick. Scandella came back then Pilut and Nathan Beaulieu went down. Crazy stuff.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Their defence take a LOT of wrist shots from the point which seems like a peculiar strategy when you've got Matthews, Kapanen, Kadri, Tavares, Nylander, Marner and Marleau who can all shoot pretty well. Those shots do work sometimes (the nice Tavares redirect the other day, e.g.) but why not rely on your high percentage shooters who also happen to be closer to the net?

In any case, if wrist shots from the point is what Babcock is sticking with (he is) then I'd like to see them look at a blueliner with a great point shot. Reilly and Gardiner have decent shots - though they never, ever use a slapper - but there's a significant fall-off after them.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

It would shock me if any half assed decent person working within Leafs management was confident in the Leafs defense as it stands. I love this team....but our D will be quickly dismantled in the playoffs by the likes of the Bruins/Lightning/Caps.

Reactions: Snowman

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Unfortunately if he hits UFA he’ll get in that range. However I don’t think top4 defencemen should be making over 6 million a year.

Shattenkirk only got 6.6 when people thought he'd get 7+

5.5 x 5 for Gardiner is the max they'd offer

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Unfortunately if he hits UFA he’ll get in that range. However I don’t think top4 defencemen should be making over 6 million a year.

In a 80M cap league ? I disagree.

Rosters are capped at 23 contracts, you will have superstars paid a lot, and young rookies at league minimum contracts, but the average comes to just shy of 3.5M per player. If he's a top 4 defenceman he definitely deserves that money. Besides, don't blame players when its the GM's and Owners who started giving out double-digit contracts.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

the truth is dubas is likely pretty dang stoked to have a rielly/dermott/sandin/Liljegren top-4 going forward, and more than comfortable with ozzy/rosen/marincin/holl/borgman/Durzi as bottom pair depth going forward, too.

contrary to popular belief, the leafs have plenty of blueline talent.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs have all the cards in hand to get a guy like Muzzin. Will they or should they try to get him ?

I think It all depends on when the Leafs think they should push.
Like if Dubas wanted to, he could move a ton of picks, prospects and a NHLer or two and get a big name D man.
But that only really makes sense if your going all in 100% on just this year.

If the Leafs add Pieterangelo and post injury he fully returns to form, do they become cup favs? I'd say no. Still Tampa and Nashville and Winni.
Maybe they internally think its makes the most sense to do the all in push in a year or two when you have Sandin, Liljgren on the team for cheap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad