Dubas needs to own up to some of these issues

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Care to explain?

I'm legitimately shocked you are asking me to do that I don't feel I have to, the numbers speak for themselves.

We went from 2 legitimate NHL goalies in Andersen and Mac to, Andersen and a bunch of AHL caliber crap.

The Sparks fan club can sit there and lie all they want about how it was the right move to keep Sparks and waive Mac but the numbers speak for themselves it's not even close, if Sparks didn't have the offense in front of him that he does He'd be on waivers right now.

and it's not even that Dubas wanted to replace Mac for me, because he is 35 and did need to replaced in short order.

It's that Dubas didn't even TRY to properly address the backup situation .

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm legitimately shocked you are asking me to do that I don't feel I have to, the numbers speak for themselves.

We went from 2 legitimate NHL goalies in Andersen and Mac to, Andersen and a bunch of AHL caliber crap.

The Sparks fan club can sit there and lie all they want about how it was the right move to keep Sparks and waive Mac but the numbers speak for themselves it's not even close, if Sparks didn't have the offense in front of him that he does He'd be on waivers right now.

and it's not even that Dubas wanted to replace Mac for me, because he is 35 and did need to replaced in short order.

It's that Dubas didn't even TRY to properly address the backup situation .
He had the top AHL goalie from last season and a guy the organization developed over years,.

Reactions: AreBe

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It was the right move.
You not getting it doesn't make it wrong.

Me not liking it doesn't make it wrong, but the numbers do one guy and been below average and then there What Mac is doing which is incredible, he's playing the level he did last season. Where as Sparks is being carried by an elite offense

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Right
Team toughness is now a team full of *****es. Dubas either has to address the lack of character/toughness/heart/courage/ or this team will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I hope Dubas gets fired tomorrow.
Can't stand this GM. Awful.
Trade some of your talent for Payarko/Ferland; some one who can play the game and be mean.

Yes, clearly this team is a failure and nothing will change until we get back to valuing truculence which has brought us so much success over the last several decades.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Me not liking it doesn't make it wrong, but the numbers do one guy and been below average and then there What Mac is doing which is incredible, he's playing the level he did last season. Where as Sparks is being carried by an elite offense
Look, we get it. You don't understand.

It's been explained over and over and over, etc.

You don't like it. We get it.

You've explained it over and over and over, etc.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Look, we get it. You don't understand.

It's been explained over and over and over, etc.

You don't like it. We get it.

You've explained it over and over and over, etc.

You haven't explained anything because you can't because the numbers don't back you but yet you don't have the guts to admit that, because that means admitting Mac has been better and the Garett Sparks club was wrong

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The last cup was 52 years ago when there was 6 teams in the league... And unless you're 70 years old or older, you weren't coherent enough to judge hockey talent anyway. It's impossible to compare but I agree with zeke on this one.

I’m pretty sure they are talking about the Gilmour lead Leafs. You could even make a case for some of the Sundin era teams.

I expect this iteration to be better but it’s not like there haven’t been any other good Leaf teams in the last few decades. It’s just the game has changed and so has how we look at it.

Reactions: TML1990

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Except our lifetime includes Leaf fans that witnessed Leafs Stanley Cups. ;)

Dubas needs Stanley Cup success on his resume for this to be true and validated.

Exactly. I saw the leafs go to 4 semi final series. Winning a round or two of playoffs feels so much better than stat watching and standings bragging rights.

Reactions: rumman

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
3 years ahead of schedule.

Things are going great, thanks.

Not really .16 teams qualify for the playoffs every year. Just getting in to me doesnt feel like getting ahead. We'll see if TOR can ramp things up in March. Maybe they will feel more ahead and complete then.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Not really .16 teams qualify for the playoffs every year. Just getting in to me doesnt feel like getting ahead. We'll see if TOR can ramp things up in March. Maybe they will feel more ahead and complete then.
We finished dead last 2 1/2 seasons ago.
We're way ahead of where people expected us to be.

Try enjoying it.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This drives me crazy. Leo and Matt Martin make 5.5 million combined. You want cap hell? Overpay bottom 6 guys. That's how you get in cap hell. Leo somehow got a raise and a 4 year deal from LOu. Martin wasn't good enough to even dress all of the second half last season. You really think it's a mistake not to keep them?
The reason Dubas would want "Guys Like That", is because you can find guys like that on the scrap heap and making a million or less per.
We don't have the $ to overpay for players like that.

Dubas knows how to manage the cap. That's why all these older/supporting guys (Including Bozak, JVR) were not kept. It would have been terrible cap management.

No not really. We dont have to sign Uncle Leo long-term, or give him big money.

I love uncle Leo. I wish he was still a leaf. Putting emotion aside I do think that we need another player of his ilk. In fairness to Dubas he still has time to address team toughness and the defense.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yes, clearly this team is a failure and nothing will change until we get back to valuing truculence which has brought us so much success over the last several decades.

Why such extremes, too much and not enough are both undesirable. At the moment we have zero, as much as testosterone frightens some people in this sport having some toughness can go a long way.

Reactions: egd27

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Exactly. I saw the leafs go to 4 semi final series. Winning a round or two of playoffs feels so much better than stat watching and standings bragging rights.

I believe at least I hope that Dubas is busy at the trade deadline and brings in some players to help address some current team weaknesses. :thumbu:

That said I do find it interesting that Dubas Leafs + Tavares have 58 points in 44 games and Lou Lams NYIs - JT but + Leo and Martin have 54 points.

NYI beat the Leafs last week 4-0 and TB last night 5-1 and they went from #31 in goals against in 2017-18 to #2OV (-1 GA behind Boston).

Our Leafs last year at this point had 53 points [finished with 105] and this year they have 58 points [108 pace]. So Leafs are trending +3 points better than last season. The addition of JT despite all his goals this year hasn't significantly improved the Leafs. That is because Goals For was never really the problem for the lack of team success.

We should be battling Tampa Bay not trying to hold off the Bruins for home ice in round #1, and Leafs will need to go further than 1st round exit this year to deserve recognition.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why such extremes, too much and not enough are both undesirable. At the moment we have zero, as much as testosterone frightens some people in this sport having some toughness can go a long way.

The post I quoted was extremely extreme ;), I was just responding in kind.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Who says I'm not enjoying it?

I want to enjoy the playoffs too!
It'll come.
Don't look at the last 2 playoffs as failures. Look at them as rewards for over achieving in the regular season.
The window literally just opened this year. And we want it to be open for a decade plus. Just gotta let it grow naturally a little more.

Reactions: egd27

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
***I am not calling for him to be fired.

It's still early, but I can only see one bright positive and many negatives

+
Signing Tavares

-
Trading Matt Martin and not signing Uncle Leo. Now TOR are looking for guys like this.

Putting McElhinney and Pickard on waivers. Going with developing Sparks.

Signing Nylander to 6.96 million dollar deal. Waiting far too long to get this deal done. A deal that could have been done in July as far as I'm concerned.

Not addressing defense and team toughness in the offseason has been another issue.

I know TOR probably won't win the cup this season, but another first round exit will be a failure.

I just don't see what direction this team is going now. Perhaps 2nd place in the division and another 1st round exit? What kind of promise is there?

Dubas better get going here

Yeah it's nice to be in 2nd in the Atlantic, but there isn't much promise for the playoffs.

You raise good discussion points but since the playoffs haven’t happened, it’s premature to chat about some of these moves being a failure.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I believe at least I hope that Dubas is busy at the trade deadline and brings in some players to help address some current team weaknesses. :thumbu:

That said I do find it interesting that Dubas Leafs + Tavares have 58 points in 44 games and Lou Lams NYIs - JT but + Leo and Martin have 54 points.

NYI beat the Leafs last week 4-0 and TB last night 5-1 and they went from #31 in goals against in 2017-18 to #2OV (-1 GA behind Boston).

Our Leafs last year at this point had 53 points [finished with 105] and this year they have 58 points [108 pace]. So Leafs are trending +3 points better than last season. The addition of JT despite all his goals this year hasn't significantly improved the Leafs. That is because Goals For was never really the problem for the lack of team success.

We should be battling Tampa Bay not trying to hold off the Bruins for home ice in round #1, and Leafs will need to go further than 1st round exit this year to deserve recognition.

Islanders had horrendous coaching and brought in an elite coach. That is their biggest difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad