Dubas needs to own up to some of these issues

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
1) I think there will be a move or 2 to shore up weaknesses by the TDL.

2) The team is not playing their best hockey in mid January. I think the plan is to be playing their best hockey by game 83. I am reasonably sure they will be much closer to the top of their game when it matters.

3) The Leafs window is just opening and will be open for 5-7 years. Like many teams before them they probably will have some more disappointments before they bust through.

Enjoy being a top 5 team. We've had a decade of losing before we turned the corner. The road to the top won't be a straight line.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

2) The team is not playing their best hockey in mid January. I think the plan is to be playing their best hockey by game 83. I am reasonably sure they will be much closer to the top of their game when it matters.

3) The Leafs window is just opening and will be open for 5-7 years. Like many teams before them they probably will have some more disappointments before they bust through.

Enjoy being a top 5 team. We've had a decade of losing before we turned the corner. The road to the top won't be a straight line.

Some common sense at last.:thumbu:

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
***I am not calling for him to be fired.

It's still early, but I can only see one bright positive and many negatives

+
Signing Tavares

-
Trading Matt Martin and not signing Uncle Leo. Now TOR are looking for guys like this.

Putting McElhinney and Pickard on waivers. Going with developing Sparks.

Signing Nylander to 6.96 million dollar deal. Waiting far too long to get this deal done. A deal that could have been done in July as far as I'm concerned.

Not addressing defense and team toughness in the offseason has been another issue.

I know TOR probably won't win the cup this season, but another first round exit will be a failure.

I just don't see what direction this team is going now. Perhaps 2nd place in the division and another 1st round exit? What kind of promise is there?

Dubas better get going here

Yeah it's nice to be in 2nd in the Atlantic, but there isn't much promise for the playoffs.

You’ve been complaining too much

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Was Sparks the best goalie to keep? Why are we developing him? To supplant Andersen some day? McElhinney was a fine back up. Let another team develop/risk Sparks.

They're clearly trying to develop an asset with Sparks. If you look at trades involving Cam Talbot, Martin Jones, Jonathan Bernier, Frederik Andersen, Cory Schneider, etc. the idea is to try to develop a goalie who can push for a starter's job and either give yourself options (heir to Andersen) or trade him for a 1st or 2nd, which gives you a free asset for being patient in development. Whether we get there with Sparks or not is another matter, but they are following a tested blueprint which works for a lot of quality organizations.

McBackup had no such long term potential.

Reactions: smitty10

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Seriously? Martin,Leo...they weren't lookin' very useful before they left here and safe to say their best days are behind them. You like the JT signing? Well subtract what you would be paying them from his tab.
The goalie thing? I think would of been a tough call for most GM's ,but he went with youth,so hard to argue really.
Nobody is privy to what transpired between Willy an Dubas in the summer. Fact remains ,Willy is a Leaf, likely for the next bunch of years. I think that should play out to be a good signing.In a few years 7 mil is gonna look normal.
To get better on D requires a trade partner...we will see!
Team toughness? Well,the definition of "Tough team" has changed. Dubas has been on record as saying he will continue to go with skill and speed as a priority. With the gross inconsistency in Reffing during the playoffs,we will see how he makes out with his strategy.
First round exit?...for me,it would mean a different coach,period.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

+
Signing Tavares

-
Trading Matt Martin and not signing Uncle Leo. Now TOR are looking for guys like this.

Signing Nylander to 6.96 million dollar deal. Waiting far too long to get this deal done. A deal that could have been done in July as far as I'm concerned.

Not addressing defense and team toughness in the offseason has been another issue.

I know TOR probably won't win the cup this season, but another first round exit will be a failure.

I just don't see what direction this team is going now. Perhaps 2nd place in the division and another 1st round exit? What kind of promise is there?

Yeah it's nice to be in 2nd in the Atlantic, but there isn't much promise for the playoffs.

McElhinney, Pickard, Komarov, Martin out and Tavares in looks like a pretty good trade, man.

Reactions: Warden of the North

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Really Bugs me that Dubas has said that he doesn't think we need to get bigger/tougher. You don't leave guys (kids) like Matthews, Marner, and Nylander unprotected.

Also, imagine how much more effective Naz would be with a a guy to back him up? He's been quiet this season, and theres a reason for it.

In comes Babs...
THERE IS NO REASON THE 4TH LINE SHOULD PLAY AS MUCH AS THEY DO IN THE 3RD.

AND

MATTHEWS SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING 16 MINUTES/NIGHT

Reactions: coupe93

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Really Bugs me that Dubas has said that he doesn't think we need to get bigger/tougher. You don't leave guys (kids) like Matthews, Marner, and Nylander unprotected.

Also, imagine how much more effective Naz would be with a a guy to back him up? He's been quiet this season, and theres a reason for it.

In comes Babs...

AND

18 ~ 20 mins

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

In comes Babs...

AND

I for one would love to have Tom Wilson on this roster to stir things up, and think we have a few roster spots up front that could be upgraded on. But generally, the team is built on speed and skill. So if you had a plug taking up top 9 minutes you wouldn't be in the business of developing an Andreas Johnsson or Kasperi Kapanen. You can't have everything all at once.

In the medium term, I think they would do well to upgrade on Marleau, Lindholm, Gauthier, Brown, etc. but it's not like you can get everything completely balanced out overnight.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

+
Signing Tavares

-

You have to be the most reactionary poster on the entire leafs forum. That's no small feat... congratulations.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Martin was a frequent enough healthy scratch. Komarov was also scratched for the final game of the season, and a four year deal wasn't going to be a reality here again. That was also part of the space needed to bring in Tavares. The goalie situation probably gets further magnified due to the Andersen injury. Onus should be on player and team for the Nylander contract situation. Don't know when the season will end, but I don't think the roster is currently exactly how it will be going into the playoffs.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

+
Signing Tavares

-

I think it is self evident that Dubas has already made some mistakes. The bigger question is whether he has learned from them. He is in an extremely fortunate position that many GMs are not in. He has a team that is on their way up and hasn't achieved much yet. As long as the leafs progress beyond last year, his job will not come into question. If not winning the cup fast enough is a requirement for the job, most GMs would get fired.
I am frustrated too. My reasons are the slow pace of contract signings, the overpayment of Willy before Marner and Matthews were signed, and the goalie situation. The other stuff will be judged in time.
I don't know that man but hopefully he is reflecting and adjusts. The stakes are way too high when you have high end talent. Most teams would kill to cook with the ingredients he has been given.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Good post. I agreed with most of this. I would be a little ticked if we have to give draft picks to find toughness they could have re-signed.

Does Dubas trade for D with term, or a.D with an expiring contract?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
To the people that want more toughness, do you want just a thug, like Martin or a guy on each line that hits or what?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think it is self evident that Dubas has already made some mistakes. The bigger question is whether he has learned from them. He is in an extremely fortunate position that many GMs are not in. He has a team that is on their way up and hasn't achieved much yet. As long as the leafs progress beyond last year, his job will not come into question. If not winning the cup fast enough is a requirement for the job, most GMs would get fired.
I am frustrated too. My reasons are the slow pace of contract signings, the overpayment of Willy before Marner and Matthews were signed, and the goalie situation. The other stuff will be judged in time.
I don't know that man but hopefully he is reflecting and adjusts. The stakes are way too high when you have high end talent. Most teams would kill to cook with the ingredients he has been given.

Kudos. Good post.

Reactions: Notsince67

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Good post. I agreed with most of this. I would be a little ticked if we have to give draft picks to find toughness they could have re-signed.

Does Dubas trade for D with term, or a.D with an expiring contract?

I think he'll be open to both but he'll be limited to what is available and what the cost is.

I think he will be in the mix for Pietrangelo if he's made available. The price will be high but man that would sure solve a big problem for us.

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Gardiner - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Ozi

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Best team? The best team wins in the playoffs. This team is likely not going to do that. Being 2nd in the Atlantic is not that great a feeling.
This is likely the best Leafs team ever in terms of skill and the amount of points they'll have at the end of the regular season.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Edmonton went to a final after finishing 8th, Pittsburgh was said to be too weak defensively, Vegas just went in their first season of existence and Washington was seen as a team that couldn't win and they won!

How on Earth can you predict what is going to happen?!

Reactions: Lauro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad