Rumor: Dubas big game hunting? Where there is smoke there is Jakob Chychrun?

Would you prefer Chychrun over .... ?

• I prefer a top 6 winger (Kane, Meier, etc.)

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • I prefer Jacob Chychrun

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • I prefer a shutdown stay at home defender

Votes: 32 13.8%
  • 1st string Goalie (Saros, Yep Saros has been rumored to be available)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Just tinker with the bottom 6

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I assume we have 10 and 26 because Muzzin isn't playing so a little more room

Half of the dudes listed above are not NHL players however so we're pretty screwed if we're running out SDA, steeves etc.

I think we're pretty locked in on D besides Muzzins spot which is good though. Holl isn't going to cost you much more then he does now if you want to keep him and the young ones are on two years ( which was Dubas's best move imo)

If only the guys who have played 5+ games (Holmberg, Anderson, Robertson, Timmins) this year and Knies get a look on the team, then we only 3 roster spots open and one goalie spot.

Also, have roughly 14 million to spend on those 3 open spots + one goalie spot.

It is definitely not a bad position to be in.

Reactions: rocketman588

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He might be #1 here if Rielly keeps regressing and Liljegren stops progressing, but what other playoff team in our conference would he be #1 on?

He’s objectively worse than Hedman, Sergachev, MacAvoy, Lindholm, Hamilton, Slavin, Fox, Dahlin. He’s in the ballpark of declining former #1s on bubble teams like Letang and Carlson.

I wouldn’t want to pay more than Pronger returned for a guy that would be the 3rd best D on our two main playoff opponents just because he gets a lot of touches on a team with no other talent to compete with him for those opportunities.

Sergachev? Did he take a huge leap this year or something?

Lindholm is getting hyped up a lot because of a hot 2 months.

If we can land Chychrun and the biggest piece going back is Sandin, I'd be happy.

A top 4 of:

Rielly - Brodie
Chychrun - Liljegren

looks good to me.

Which playoff teams in our conference have better D? Maybe Boston and Carolina?

Reactions: Hellcat

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yes me too, but how else can you make the cap work if it's only going up 2-3 million, I've shaken it sideways, upside down and around and couldn't make sense of it .........well there is a way, but nobody likes it.:naughty:

Pretty sure the cap works with Chychrun without moving anyone.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If Dubas is going to make what might be his final trades as our Leafs GM, I'd rather he do them sooner rather than closer to the trade deadline.

I want whatever players he acquires to integrate well with their new team, especially if Keefe requires them to practice with the team before playing any games. Yeah, I know, Timmins was a rookie that needed to practice first! LOL

It would have been great to get a trade done on Sunday to allow the new acquisition(s) to practice before the first game after the AS break!!!

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Sergachev? Did he take a huge leap this year or something?

Lindholm is getting hyped up a lot because of a hot 2 months.

If we can land Chychrun and the biggest piece going back is Sandin, I'd be happy.

A top 4 of:

Rielly - Brodie
Chychrun - Liljegren

looks good to me.

Which playoff teams in our conference have better D? Maybe Boston and Carolina?

Sergachev is just getting Hedman’s offensive minutes now that Hedman picked up McDonagh’s shutdown minutes. Same offensive minded ~60 point pace D that’ll throw the occasional big hit as Chychrun except he’s proven in the playoffs and isn’t a walking bandaid.

Lindholm is in another universe defensively even going back to his Anaheim days.

If Sandin is the biggest piece it’s a no brainer, but the Sandin + Knies + 1st++ packages I’ve seen are absolutely insane. That’s more than Pronger got as a HHOFer that can single handedly carry you to a cup final, it would be the first or second biggest return for a player in the cap era depending on how you want to value the pieces in the Karlsson deal.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Sergachev is just getting Hedman’s offensive minutes now that Hedman picked up McDonagh’s shutdown minutes. Same offensive minded ~60 point pace D that’ll throw the occasional big hit as Chychrun except he’s proven in the playoffs and isn’t a walking bandaid.

Lindholm is in another universe defensively even going back to his Anaheim days.

If Sandin is the biggest piece it’s a no brainer, but the Sandin + Knies + 1st++ packages I’ve seen are absolutely insane. That’s more than Pronger got as a HHOFer that can single handedly carry you to a cup final, it would be the first or second biggest return for a player in the cap era depending on how you want to value the pieces in the Karlsson deal.
I agree if a 1st and Sandin are the biggest pieces going there way it’s an easy yes. Assuming we aren’t attaching Knies, Niemla, Mintten or Robertson(opinions vary with him) you do it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Lindholm has never broken 35 pts or played 82 games, just something to think about while commenting on Chychrun being a bandaid.

I'd think a potential trade is around Sandin + 1st + less significant piece.

Can't see it being Sandin + Knies + 1st++, that is insane.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd be fine picking up Chychrun if they could get him without involving Knies - who would probably be a deal breaker for me. I'd also have concerns about his health/sustainability. And I doubt Arizona will move him for anything close to a fair package - their GM will want to use this deal to jump start their rebuild which means it has to be a big win for him

The thing is in comparison - I think a 1st + B level prospect/mid round pick could probably buy a pretty good forward given it looks to be much more of a buyers market for them at the tdl AND it's arguably a bigger need for the Leafs.

You could get ROR for example for much less than Chychrun

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Screen-Shot-2023-01-26-at-3.42.56-PM.png

Since a top pairing defencemen isn't likely in the cards (cap-wise, asset-wise and since Chychrun is the topic of this thread I'll add that I personally don't think he is one), as well as these graphics that really illustrate where the most pressing need is: A top 6 forward - literally a #6, #5 even better & a depth forward that can make some impact in limited minutes.

Graphic taken from this article which I clearly generally agree with:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Players aren't traded for because of where they were born. Just ridiculous.

Yep.

Not to mention I think folks around here tend to really overemphasize the hometown angle for players, especially for young guys. If anything, I think it would mean something for a guy in his late 30s during the twilight of his career much more so than someone just starting out. Most players in the league never play for their childhood favorite teams.

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd be fine picking up Chychrun if they could get him without involving Knies - who would probably be a deal breaker for me. I'd also have concerns about his health/sustainability. And I doubt Arizona will move him for anything close to a fair package - their GM will want to use this deal to jump start their rebuild which means it has to be a big win for him

The thing is in comparison - I think a 1st + B level prospect/mid round pick could probably buy a pretty good forward given it looks to be much more of a buyers market for them at the tdl AND it's arguably a bigger need for the Leafs.

You could get ROR for example for much less than Chychrun
ROR's a rental though while Chychrun would be here for a number of years.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I'm pretty sure he was already following all of them. He knows Bunting from when they played on AZ together. Auston is from AZ so I'm sure he's hung out with Chychrun a bunch. And Mitch has been friends with Chych since they're junior days. Nothing to see here.

Apparently not ... and the plot thickens .. what Matty wants Matty gets ...

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Pretty sure the cap works with Chychrun without moving anyone.

If we move say Sandin out and Jacob in, we would be about $500k over the cap, carrying 1 extra Dman and 1 extra forward. We could fix that pretty quickly with a LTIR or demoting Joey Anderson or Arizona eats 25% of JC's contract.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
True. But could potentially be signed to an extension like they did with Gio - and that goes for most of the rental forwards.
If we're going to pay a ton for a rental like ROR or whoever else, I'd want to be sure we can sign him to an extension. Potentially just doesn't cut it for me.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Prediction

Leafs 1st + Matthew Knies + Rasmus Sandin + Alex Kerfoot
for
Jacob Chychrun + Lawson Crouse + some salary retention on either or both to balance Leafs cap issues.

I think you may be right about this one. If it's me there's no way Knies goes without Crouse coming back. Crouse is ready now. Knies may still be a couple of years away from having a real impact. Sandin and Knies replace Chychrun in the Arizona lineup. They get at least a first on top of that and I'm guessing there won't be any retention. Kerfoot is then flipped at the deadline for a pick. That's a pretty good haul for Arizona really.

Crouse gives us a big body to throw into the top six. He scores, PKs, hits, will fight and has the speed to keep up with the big 3.

Chychrun gets the rap of just being an offensive Dman but he's actually pretty good defensively. Better than Rielly in my opinion. Instantly makes the PP better. He hits. He clears the front if the net. Does he have some defensive warts? Absolutely. Every Dman in the league does.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
With all of the names, big and small, available it’s shocking to me how we haven’t been able to get anything done to this point. There should’ve been a list of targets identified made months ago, and Dubas should be working 80 hours a week minimum to get this team right well in advance of the deadline. I find it difficult to believe that every team is asking for a nonsensical return.

It’s insulting to the fans that we’re still sitting here 3 years later with essentially the same team, Kerfoot and Holl included. Grow a pair and make a difficult decision that doesn’t involve a decrepit Nick Foligno.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Getting Chychrun would be amazing. Crouse and Chychrun even better. Just not sure if we have the pieces to trade without moving someone off the roster.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
First we need to replace Muzzin and need a top 6 winger to even dream of a round or two and I don’t think we can do it. Cap and prospects we don’t have. Many of us think Dubas has backed himself into a corner this time. No vote and no cup this year.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
3 × #1 draft picks plus Kerfoot and Robertson or Bunting for Brady Tkachuk
I am tired of savior Chychrun. He is not the only fish in the sea, although I would love him.
We need goals, toughness and d.
Bunting is a skank, but nobody wins cups with Darcy Tucker and Avery. The day is coming where Bunting becomes hunted and nobody on this team will stand up. He then is silenced.
Knies can fill Bunting spot.

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
I think you may be right about this one. If it's me there's no way Knies goes without Crouse coming back. Crouse is ready now. Knies may still be a couple of years away from having a real impact. Sandin and Knies replace Chychrun in the Arizona lineup. They get at least a first on top of that and I'm guessing there won't be any retention. Kerfoot is then flipped at the deadline for a pick. That's a pretty good haul for Arizona really.

Crouse gives us a big body to throw into the top six. He scores, PKs, hits, will fight and has the speed to keep up with the big 3.

Chychrun gets the rap of just being an offensive Dman but he's actually pretty good defensively. Better than Rielly in my opinion. Instantly makes the PP better. He hits. He clears the front if the net. Does he have some defensive warts? Absolutely. Every Dman in the league does.
No way you get Crouse as a part of that deal.Crouse has more value now then Knies.He is the player Knies might be in 2 years.

Reactions: hotpaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad