Rumor: Dubas big game hunting? Where there is smoke there is Jakob Chychrun?

Would you prefer Chychrun over .... ?

• I prefer a top 6 winger (Kane, Meier, etc.)

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • I prefer Jacob Chychrun

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • I prefer a shutdown stay at home defender

Votes: 32 13.8%
  • 1st string Goalie (Saros, Yep Saros has been rumored to be available)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Just tinker with the bottom 6

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They don’t seem to be able to score when we really need it in the playoffs though. That’s likely because the opposition can focus entirely on 2/3 of the line and ignore the other guy.

Are we just ignoring the last series or what?

They have good and bad series.

Adding scoring to the third line would cost money, especially if you want guys who don’t suck defensively.

They have like 17.5 million to fill in some minor roles and 3C and 3LW.

I don't think they are in a bad spot.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1675785003402.png

Matthew Knies was born in Phoenix, Arizona so any betting man would suggest any Leafs and Coyotes trade will likely have Leafs top prospect at the top of Arizona's want list.

If Knies were to be traded, then going home probably wouldn't be the worst outcome for him personally.

The Matthew Knies trade chip might the best asset Dubas feels he has to complete a successful transaction with Arizona, and beat out other offers.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Are we just ignoring the last series or what?

The one where they combined for 0 goals in game 7?
They have good and bad series.

They get shut down in the most important times.

They have like 17.5 million to fill in some minor roles and 3C and 3LW.

They also need a starting goalie.

I don't think they are in a bad spot.

I didn’t say they were. They have a lot of open spots next year and the cap space gets eaten up pretty quick by just maintaining what you have.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Most people seem to think the Giordano trade was excellent for the Leafs, I think you may even be the first person I've actually seen criticizing Dubas for this. I'll just say that I see no basis whatsoever for your stance here, the Giordano trade was fantastic!

I also strongly disagree with your statement that "The Leafs need to get the best player available whatever the cost this year.". Not considering cost makes no sense whatsoever, no offence but if this is how you think, you'd make a terrible GM.
The signing was good.

The trade was not.

Did they get past the first round?

They could have accomplished the exact same thing with Dermott on the team instead of Giordano, kept the 2x2nd and signed Gio in the offseason.

Like every other contender does for the most part?
Every other GM trades for injured players and sucky depth roster guys?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Rielly's contract is fine.

Murray may be a bad contract, we will see.

Tavares is overpaid by a little, but I wouldn't call it a bad contract.

I think we have plenty of space to fill out what you mentioned.

Goaltending will be decided at the end of the season.

Without any signings of RFA/UFAs, we have a good base

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
X - X - Jarnkrok
McMann - X - X

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Liljegren
Gio - X

Murray
X

With about 17.5 to fill in the rest.

It isn't like we are searching for star players.

It'd be nice to pick up a good 3C and a 3LW that can score, then sign Holmberg for 4C and give them an energy player on the RW.

3RD is likely Timmins.

If Samsonov plays well, he is due for a raise, but can't think it is a big one.
Your banking a lot of Knies and Robertson to be able to fill in the top 6. I like Knies and think he can get there not sure if it will be next year. Hope I’m wrong.

Robertson to me is a question mark if he can be an effective top 6. Still young but he hasn’t shown it yet so I’d be a little careful about throwing him in the top 6 along with Knies.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Giordano’s been worth his weight in gold.

Travis Dermott’s effectively a non-asset. That Dubas got anything for him was a coup.

Foligno was a surprise. Perhaps just didn’t want to be here in spite of injury, optics, etc…Not a great look for our club.

I agree and have maintained that I wish we’d been more conservative with our picks and bold in using them - trading down seems prideful.

Our goaltending is much better. Rittich is back to playing his career average in Calgary - so like Foligno, small sample size and a wrong fit; But our duo is much better: Campbell’s numbers are dreadful.

Don’t like the idea of moving Knies (and wouldn’t except maybe for Meier) but this 2023 draft is supposed to be deep past the top Ten picks, so I think for greater development (ie confidence gained in winning a round) our 1st should be in be in play for the right piece.

I don’t know why we wouldn’t go after pieces like a retained Henrique, and maybe some of the more grizzly forwards/defense from Philly (Seeler, Deslauriers etc..) as low hanging fruit to hedge our talent in.

Time will tell.
The Giordano trade was not good. The signing was. But not the trade.

They didn't win a playoff round. They could have accomplished the exact same thing with Dermott on the team and kept the picks. Just sign Giordano in the offseason for free, which they did.

Another master class in asset management, Kyle Dubas style.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

They didn't win a playoff round. They could have accomplished the exact same thing with Dermott on the team and kept the picks. Just sign Giordano in the offseason for free, which they did.

Just playing devils advocate but maybe he doesn’t sign in the off season with the leafs if he doesn’t play during the season. Maybe playing for them during that playoff was enough to interest him in coming back cheap.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think the best option is to bring in a strong 3rd line center and a top 3rd line RW’er. Add Knies to that group and we’d have a very capable 3rd line that could also be an offensive threat.

It would cause a lot of problems for the other teams to match up against… especially when we’re at home.

It’s not the sexiest move (everyone would love to land a big name top six forward), but overall, I believe it would be our best move.
Should they give Knies a shot during this playoff year? On one hand it’d be good experience for his development, on the other, would he be ready?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Your banking a lot of Knies and Robertson to be able to fill in the top 6. I like Knies and think he can get there not sure if it will be next year. Hope I’m wrong.

Robertson to me is a question mark if he can be an effective top 6. Still young but he hasn’t shown it yet so I’d be a little careful about throwing him in the top 6 along with Knies.

You can put two plugs on those lines and they are still at the very least a top-end first line and a top-end second line.

The play drivers on those lines are already set, ideally we get forwards like Meier or Konecny, but I'd rather spend on the 3rd line and have skilled grinders (who are usually cheap) as 1LW and 2LW.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
View attachment 646788

Matthew Knies was born in Phoenix, Arizona so any betting man would suggest any Leafs and Coyotes trade will likely have Leafs top prospect at the top of Arizona's want list.

If Knies were to be traded, then going home probably wouldn't be the worst outcome for him personally.

The Matthew Knies trade chip might the best asset Dubas feels he has to complete a successful transaction with Arizona, and beat out other offers.
Players aren't traded for because of where they were born. Just ridiculous.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
The signing was good.

The trade was not.

Did they get past the first round?

They could have accomplished the exact same thing with Dermott on the team instead of Giordano, kept the 2x2nd and signed Gio in the offseason.

Every other GM trades for injured players and sucky depth roster guys?
I disagree with Gio signing here in the off season if we didn't trade for him and if he did I'm not sure we get him at the price we did.
Gio helped Lily's development from the time he arrived at the deadline and that alone is worth the draft pick.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
View attachment 646788

I think a betting man would suggest Arizona would prefer to get Toronto's top prospect, regardless of where they were born

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is Saros available or has the Leafs media finally heard about him?
Couple that with Askarov making a big save in the minors and, 2+2 = Saros is available

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I gotta say my dude, you are so strong and brave for coming into this thread and complaining about the team that's 3rd place in the league right now. We're 8th in the league in GA while working with a pair of goalies the GM pulled out of the dumpster and 10 games from Erik "the Swedish Sieve" Kallgren.
Maybe you haven't been paying attention the last 5-6 years. WGAF
Hmmm the GM pulled goalies out of the dumpster? I wonder who's fault that is?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Is a deal between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Arizona Coyotes for Jakob Chychrun close to being finalized?

Anyone following Chychrun on Instagram would assume so based on Chychrun’s recent actions. On Saturday, February 4th, Chychrun removed the Arizona Coyotes from his Instagram bio. He then started following Toronto Maple Leafs players such as Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and Michael Bunting.

Does the Arizona defenseman know something we don’t? His online actions would lead fans to believe so. As exciting as this might seem, nothing is official until the Maple Leafs announce a trade. That has yet to happen, so Toronto fans are left wondering.

Read the rest of the article here Toronto Maple Leafs: Jakob Chychrun Rumours Going Crazy
This has been a long winded story line which started last year .. after Dubie did da Timmer trade, he and Shanny watched Zona games live on last east coast swing .. Jakob luvs TO and has lived/played here as a kid .. da rumour which was going around was 2023 1st, Sandin and Robertson (and maybe a AAV dump like Kerfoot for a Zona pick)

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
This has been a long winded story line which started last year .. after Dubie did da Timmer trade, he and Shanny watched Zona games live on last east coast swing .. Jakob luvs TO and has lived/played here as a kid .. da rumour which was going around was 2023 1st, Sandin and Robertson (and maybe a AAV dump like Kerfoot for a Zona pick)
I would do that if that was what Arizona is asking for.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

By this logic, we could have traded a 2nd round pick for McDavid and if we lost in the 1st round, you'd say it was a bad trade. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it doesn't really work that way.

Assuming that Gio would have signed with us (and especially for the discount he gave us) isn't valid either. Maybe he would have signed here, maybe not. But it's well known that trading for someone and thus having him in the fold before the off-season gives the team the inside track to resign him.

View attachment 646788

You may well be right. Nobody wants to give up Knies but you gotta give to get so it's probably worth considering. I'll trust Dubas to make this decision, not much else to say here.

I can't like posts ATM or else I'd like a bunch at this point. Some good discussion here and I'm glad to see I'm far from the only one who still has some faith in Dubas. GLG!!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Anyone who thinks the Gio deal was bad is right out to lunch and has a hate on.

They also got him for that cup run, and there is no guarantee that Toronto signs him, or he wants to sign with Toronto. That news only came out afterwards, not before.

I mean....it's obvious to all, but......

Reactions: ITM

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kyle Dubas tells us hockey is a strong link game and then proceeds to trade all his picks on a bunch of duds who don't make a difference.

The last two trade deadlines alone has witnessed Dubas trade Travis Dermott, 1x1st, 2x2nd, 2x3rd, 2x4th, a 5th, and a 6th.

What did he get in return?

An injured Nick Foligno, an injured Rielly Nash, a third string goaltender in David Riitich, an AHL player in Stefan Noesen, and the oldest defenseman in the league, Mark Giordano.

The Leafs need to get the best player available whatever the cost this year.

Its a catch22 IMO

First there is not enough cap space to get the "best" player available. Second, if we get multiple teams involved for retention that would cost a lot of draft capital (perhaps even prospects). And what we get in return is a "rental" or someone with enough years signed?

Also Matthews/Willy are pending UFAs next season with no guarantees that they will re-sign.

So do we throw away draft capital assuming that Matthews/Willy re-sign and we will manage to fit everyone under the cap? Or do we stand pat/status quo and let the chips fall where they may.

To me personally, given the way Matthews' season has gone and with declining Tavares (dude's skating is worst I've seen yet); do you make this massive investment?

If Leafs want to go all in then they should really go "All In".

Grab Chychrun, Grab one of Tarasenko/ROR, Upgrade Bottom 6 too. I envision the "ALL IN" to look something like this:

Bunting Matthews Nylander
Engvall ROR Marner
Kerfoot Tavares Jankrok (bottom 6 needs an upgrade)
Zar Kampf Anderson (bottom 6 needs an upgrade)

OR

Bunting Matthews Nylander
Tarasenko Tavares Marner
Engvall Kerfoot Jankrok (bottom 6 needs an upgrade)
Zar Kampf Anderson (bottom 6 needs an upgrade)

DEFENSE
Rielly Brodie
Chychrun Liljegren
Gio Holl
Sandin
Timmins

Sammy
Murray

I am not sure how the cap would work. But going all in means getting results; if we can't and Matthews/Willy walk then you are looking at a long ass rebuild of at least 8 years before we have enough draft and develop because we won't have any "quality" pieces to trade.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Adding Chychrun will impact the team similarly to adding a top 6 winger.

He has a strong offensive impact, and there are 2 guys in the top 4 who are zero or negative impact offensively.

So Chychrun + a buy low forward candidate would be my preference.
Imagine the points he could rack up as a trailer D with a Mitch Marner or Bill Nylander setting you up.

Reactions: Brobust

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Should they give Knies a shot during this playoff year? On one hand it’d be good experience for his development, on the other, would he be ready?
I think they should get him in there. If he were to play with a player like Toews, for example, and a guy like Jeannot (who he can sort of pattern his game after), I think that experience would be invaluable. That’s just my opinion.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

It"s way too early to determine whether or not the Gio trade was bad.

If the picks end up turning into nothing then so be it.

Plus there is no gaurantee Gio signs here without testing the water first.

Every team but one spends assets to bolster up and ends up coming up short.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad