Prospect Info: DRW Development Camp - July 6-10, 2016

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Found these 2 impressions from Malik encouraging:

81 Givani Smith RW: The 6'2," 204-pound Smith delivered a helluva first impression. A little brash, a lot strong on his skates, speedy if not fast, with strong passing skills, a good shot, a nose for the net and boundless enthusiasm, Smith hauled ass through every drill and Smith's status as something of a ball of positive energy was incredibly evident to see. The Wings snagged him as a 2nd-rounder but Smith's skating, passing and shooting skills look almost first-round quality, his strength is excellent for an 18-year-old, and while he demurred a bit, it's evident that he can haul tail to the front of the net and stay there. I really liked what I saw from Givani...

I liked what I heard from the practically bubbly forward's nearly-ten-minute-long interview, too. He's a really nice kid.

84 Luke Kirwan * LW: The 6'1," 230-pound Flint Firebirds forward had a very, very good day. I was very impressed with Kirwan's skating speed, his maneuverability and his general poise and headiness with the puck, and he was scoring all kinds of ways on Wednesday morning and early afternoon. Kirwan looked like someone who shouldn't have been passed over in the draft despite his mediocre year, and he was really solid.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...camp-16?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thought this was cool, too

After the workouts ended, Smith stayed on the ice for some extra work with defenseman Dennis Cholowski, the Red Wings' first-round pick (20th overall) in this year's draft. Smith parked himself in front of the net while Cholowski fired pucks in his direction.

"I was just doing some tips, making sure that the hand-eye coordination's on," Smith said. "I do that after every practice. So just stay sharp on the ice. That's my office right there. That's where I mostly am, in front of the net, just get a little bit better every single day."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/07/red_wings_draft_pick_givani_sm.html

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Second day, Luke Kirwan:

6'1" but 230 pounds, the Flint Firebirds forward looks exactly like the kind of prospect that slipped through the draft due to a crappy statistical performance in his draft year, but might earn an NHL contract sooner than later. He's a slick skater, he's got good passing and shooting skills, and he just looks professional and comfortable out there among the try-outs and graduated Griffins as well. He's really stood out.

Let's do this, guys. I don't care if he's a winger. Free is free.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...y-of-the-red-wings-summer-development-camp-16

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Fun fact:
-Darren McCarty, 46 overal, 1992 NHL draft
-Givani Smith, 46 overall, 2016 NHL draft

between 2016 and 1992 are 24 years, 2+4= 6 . In 6 years Givani will be 24 and he will be finally with the wings:popcorn:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Reading Maliks analysis is always interisting, but take them with a grain of salt. 3/4 of the people on here would probably make better scouts, not to mention it has to be nearly impossible to actually analyze every player with any amount of accuracy.

vannzee

Ruslan Salei fan...
Dec 18, 2010
S.E Michigan
I was there and will be there until Sunday.

Nathan Gerbe was there after practice working with a private coach. He signed with the Rangers last week.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Bert just scored a dirty goal.. went in 1on1 with the defender, lifted the stick out of the D man's hands, faked forehand then backhand to score.

And Sadowy gets an empty netter for the hatty

Rix

Jul 4, 2015
Watched the scrimmage so I'll be doing a write-up on a bunch of players that interested me.

Overall Game: High intensity, fast, very physical (more so than any wings game I've seen recently, we've got some mean kids in the system), and really nobody looked like they didn't belong. Great game.

Now to the players
Forwards

Sadowy: The guy is all around a great player and stood out with both his play and his facial hair. Probably the best player tonight and it showed with the hat trick. Had a ton of breakaway chances and rushes, really likes to get moving and open up the ice. Definitely had some speed which was a welcome surprise. He looked closer to he NHL than anyone else tonight which is saying a lot for someone that just turned 20. Scored the best goal of the night, put the puck between defenders legs on the backhand 1 on 1 and then roofed the puck back over the goalies shoulder. I'm a fan.

Svechnikov: Physically missing during the first half. Figuratively missing during the second. Really disappointed to be completely honest. Not much else to say.

Ehn: I'm a huge fan of this guy. Loved him at last years camp and he was even better here. One of the best players on the ice definitely which I didn't expect. Guy is elusive, and has speed that allows him to break away from the pack. Scored a beauty breakaway goal using that speed plus his great hands, hands that laid a perfect sauce on Sadowy's stick for his first goal. The guy has NHL potential, which is a surprise from someone talked about so little around here. Definitely one of my favorites.

Bertuzzi: Very dissapointing first half. Second half wasn't much better for the most part besides him upping his effort level from 70% to 150%. Skates everywhere with his head down which makes him miss a lot of the play. Also didn't display he sandpaper I was expecting. All was forgiven however by his hilariously amazing goal. 1 on 1 against Sadowy, just completely forgets about the puck and skates at Sadowy, slashed his stick clean out of his hands, picks the puck back up and goes around Sadowy and score a nice breakaway goal. That was great, other than that however ehhhh. Definitely looked like more of a leader than usual however.

Nastasiuk: Obviously a leader out on the ice, talks a lot. Has some definite size but doesn't really use it. Overall a bit of a disappointment didn't really impress me at all.

Smith: We're going to love this kid. He is simply just mean. Mean, mean, mean. He was blowing up guys all over the place, probably had more hits than everyone else combined. Had some skill too, but not a lot of smarts. Probably turned over the puck more than anyone else. I'm definitely impressed though, he's going to be a wrecking ball.

Kirwan: Very big, very fast, plays like a train and his destination his the front of the net. I liked him.

Defensemen:

Hicketts: Still hilariously small but honestly it doesn't even matter. His size doesn't hinder his play, at least not to the point that it's the reason he won't make it to the NHL. Played a very safe game, played hard in the corners. Took on McKee at one point and absolutely dropped Malstrom I believe with just a forearm in the corner. I'm not entirely impressed by him but size isn't a problem.

Saarijarvi: Size is definitely a problem for him however, gets pushed around a lot. First hit of the game was him getting destroyed by Smith. Definitely needs to get stronger and more balanced even if he can't get bigger. Besides that however he's easily the most creative defenseman on the ice and isn't afraid to make plays. I definitely liked him more last year but I'm still a fan, especially if he can get stronger on his skates.

McKee: Big and mean. Flattened Nastasiuk in the corner and had quite a vicious battle with Holeay in front of the net (who looked taller than McKee by the way). Still unsure if he can play hockey however.

Cholowski: I'm in love. He's perfect. But seriously, he looks like a defenseman drafted in the first round. He plays such a perfect game, every pass he makes is right on the tape to the right guy on the ice. He plays smart, his head is never looking down. It's crazy, but when he gets the puck the first thing I look at is his head, okay yeah that sounds weird but that's just how smart of a player he is. The guy plays like a part time forward too, he tries to get into the play a lot which would get him caught a lot if he wasn't such a good skater too. Even with his skating however, he did get caught a few times playing a bit too offensively, that is my only complaint however. He simply plays a perfect game. Got a ton of ice time in the second half which makes you wonder if somebody higher up wanted to see a little bit more of him. I nominate that he is now called ChillOutski, because that is how he plays the game.

Aug 6, 2012
Really excited to hear that about Cholowski. That's the same type of stuff that screams out to me when watching the few videos there are of him. So damn intrigued by this kid.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He seems like a good pick. I still want fabbro

Way better then Stanley though. So thank god

Maybe he's gonna be a legend. And another case like yzerman where Detroit wanted someone different (Stanley)

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Made the 3 hour drive to attend the scrimmage. Here's my brief thoughts:

I mostly tried to focus on the D as that is what the Wings are in dire need of.

Saarijarvi - I liked that most of his shots got through from the point. Offensively he was good. Not too impressed with his D.

Chowloski - This guy is slick as hell. Best player on the ice for me. Every pass was on the tape. No panic. Made the right play almost all the time. Even has a similar skating stride to a certain number 5.

Hronek - Didn't make much of an impression on me.

Hicketts was just okay

None of the other D were worth typing about.

That Bertuzzi goal was hilarious. It seemed in the 2nd half of the game he really started trying.

Smith was very entertaining, throwing big hits.

It's funny, I wasn't too impressed with Sadowy. He flubbed a lot of passes and lost the puck a lot while stickhandling. I come home and see he scored a hat trick. Shows what I know. :shrug

In my defense all his goals were at the other end of the rink and I was up in the mezzanine.

All in all an enjoyable timed that was worth the drive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad