Prospect Info: DRW Development Camp - July 6-10, 2016

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, I think you're right. NCAA hockey is much stronger overall than it's ever been. Talent is higher than it has been at most areas, including the coaching.

Is part of this the growth of USA hockey in general?

Yes it is. USA hockey is the biggest future booming market. That's why looking historical stats is nonsense at this point.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fine, I'll bite on your drive by admonishment of how you think posts should be presented...because I'm a big fan of that. The slippery-slope soliloquy at the end was a bit much, I say. Rather unwarranted as I am not given to such comments in my posting history.
*Ahem*

I did not elaborate because frankly, there was too much subject material to cover. I'll touch on the finer points:
-The notion NCHC is not compteitive outside NoDak and DU... not so much, Miami has been a perrenial playoff team until last year, Omaha (a team said to be not competitive in a seperate thread) made the Frozen Four two years ago, Duluth won a title 5 years ago, the conference generally sends a representative to the FF yearly and will have the most, or 2nd most teams represented in the playoffs. I am counting team's time in the former WCHA as well (now there was a conference!)

-Wisconsin is not an elite program? Two horrid years, for sure. They were a #1 tournament seed 3 years ago. They had 2 1st round picks this year. They are top 5 of NCAA programs for players in the NHL. Smells elite to me.

-Fears of Cholowski being in a dead end program (most pertinent point in this thread)...since Motzko took over I'd say every draftee has performed to, or above, expectations. There has NEVER been a first rounder recruited by SCSU, ergo, no precedent to judge the program. I'm not aware of any NHL teams bending recruits arms to bail St. Cloud and play CHL.

That's all the high road I have in me.

Completely agree with all of this post.

College sports are a lot more cyclical. I blame a part of this on the understanding that until the recent MSU downturn the coaching situation at both the big local schools was elite and they were rolling along for years. College soccer, Lacrosse and hockey have incredible turns in fortune.

You hire the right coach and invest a little and it pays off. People rise and fall on this, Providence is a great example of this they aggressively hired a promising guy and put more funds behind them and they are a power. It happens quickly. What Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, BC, ND (North Dakota), BU or U of M all have in common is when they hit rough patches they can bounce back quicker. Think of it like Alabama, Oklahoma or Miami football. It doesn't take much to get out of bad periods, the recruits come back quickly.

But there are tons of guys developing in college. Cholo needs opportunity and honestly as a D-man who we need to bulk up and get better defensively if your argument is man I wish he had more talent, well his defensive assignments will be elevated earlier and checking lines from those big programs. Lord knows he isn't going to do that on the BU team, get ready for that Fabbro fans.

My guess is Cholo is up the depth chart in a hurry. Not because that is easy on a top 10 team, but they have gotten their industrially. It won't take long to grasp the talent base there in terms of an upgrade. But also it is easier to defer to just a couple guys, at the super traditional powers you have a lot of balancing acts and egos. Also my guess is he likely got some calls late in the year, we all know recruiting is dirty in every college sport. I like that he stuck by his commitment to SCSU. They are a team that earns every step and have built up into a very good place.

Really the only complaint is I imagine their workout facilities lag woefully behind but I am sure Rabid Huskey will tell us.

Which by the way is probably one of the best benefits of this. :laugh:

Having an SCSU guy is worth taking a late rounder on in the future, because it means having him stop by and keep us posted all the time on the players progress in the prospect threads.

Cholo should develop fine there. It didn't kill Ghost to link up with Union when they were on the upswing.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Fine, I'll bite on your drive by admonishment of how you think posts should be presented...because I'm a big fan of that. The slippery-slope soliloquy at the end was a bit much, I say. Rather unwarranted as I am not given to such comments in my posting history.
*Ahem*

I did not elaborate because frankly, there was too much subject material to cover. I'll touch on the finer points:
-The notion NCHC is not compteitive outside NoDak and DU... not so much, Miami has been a perrenial playoff team until last year, Omaha (a team said to be not competitive in a seperate thread) made the Frozen Four two years ago, Duluth won a title 5 years ago, the conference generally sends a representative to the FF yearly and will have the most, or 2nd most teams represented in the playoffs. I am counting team's time in the former WCHA as well (now there was a conference!)

-Wisconsin is not an elite program? Two horrid years, for sure. They were a #1 tournament seed 3 years ago. They had 2 1st round picks this year. They are top 5 of NCAA programs for players in the NHL. Smells elite to me.

-Fears of Cholowski being in a dead end program (most pertinent point in this thread)...since Motzko took over I'd say every draftee has performed to, or above, expectations. There has NEVER been a first rounder recruited by SCSU, ergo, no precedent to judge the program. I'm not aware of any NHL teams bending recruits arms to bail St. Cloud and play CHL.

That's all the high road I have in me.

Sorry, I think I did a poor job conveying the right tone. I challenged you specifically because as you mentioned your post history indicates you'd be the perfect candidate to drive the discussion.

It was compliment, seriously. And you absolutely delivered. Again, that's bad on me, reading it again I'm seeing I don't love my post. Thanks for responding so well.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
And not saying he should go to Prince George or anything but they aren't terrible or anything. 5 total drafted guys on the roster. The WHL is a good league for defenseman and produces plenty of very good ones. Some good D have come out of PG like Big Buff, Hamhuis, and Chara.

Actually 7 NHL drafted guys on the team now and 3 more were NHL development camp invites. 10 players - nearly half the roster at NHL development camps this summer. Also as many as three projected NHL draft picks for 2017 on the team. Not to mention they just hired NHL defenseman and Stanley Cup Champion Richard Matvichuk as their head coach for the upcoming season. Probably a pretty good place for a good D-man to develop this season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What is Villi listed at these days compared to his draft weight/height? I can see some maturing in his face compared to when he was drafted when he looked like a 12 year old.

Hronek I expect to put on weight simply by aging as well

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
What is Villi listed at these days compared to his draft weight/height? I can see some maturing in his face compared to when he was drafted when he looked like a 12 year old.

Hronek I expect to put on weight simply by aging as well

pretty sure he grew an inch and put on some weight according to reports

hes now almost 5'5" 110lbs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad