Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Timmins + 2nd for Drouin ?
I doubt AVS want to trade Kaut and even less Newhook

The Avs are far less likely to trade Timmins than either of these two, and there is no hope in hell they trade Newhook after how they scouted him all year long.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Replace Rosen and Burakovsky with assets that would actually have value to Montreal.

Maybe I’m putting to much weight behind a very good AHL campaign followed by a good preseason in which he definitely should have earned a spot in our top 6, but had the ability to be sent down without waivers and as such was. In my opinion he’s currently a 4/5 dman with definite room to solidify himself as a solid top 4 defensemen. The fact that he fit the LHD coveted be Montreal I thought would at least peak some interest.

I do get the knock on Burakovsky and understand not wanting him even as a sweetener in a trade. My thought process is that Montreal might want a top 9 forward to help replace Drouin.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Replace Rosen and Burakovsky with assets that would actually have value to Montreal.

The problem is drouin doesnt have much value, everyone in the hockey world has seen him get ripped apart in the MTL media seen, hes not going to replace landeskog on the top line because he doesnt bring that style of play to the table, could he play on the second line with kadri, but what's the price for a guy who's ceiling has been 50 pts in 5 to 6 seasons... probably nothing that MTL wants considering they have kaut, newhook, Bowers, kamanev, jost, nichushkin, and burakovsky that can slide into that spot now, and in the future.... it doesnt make sense for the avs which is why I hate having this argument with MTL fans

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe I’m putting to much weight behind a very good AHL campaign followed by a good preseason in which he definitely should have earned a spot in our top 6, but had the ability to be sent down without waivers and as such was. In my opinion he’s currently a 4/5 dman with definite room to solidify himself as a solid top 4 defensemen. The fact that he fit the LHD coveted be Montreal I thought would at least peak some interest.

I do get the knock on Burakovsky and understand not wanting him even as a sweetener in a trade. My thought process is that Montreal might want a top 9 forward to help replace Drouin.

1) I know who Rosen is. I live in Toronto and have seen him live a couple of times. Even if he's all you suggest and more, he doesn't have a lot of value in the trade market. And Montreal doesn't really need D depth that much. Rosen would likely just be with the Rocket.

2) Montreal doesn't need to replace Drouin with a top-9 winger if they trade him. They have extra top-9 caliber wingers and they have prospects in the AHL that aren't far out.

If Montreal really wanted to trade Drouin (and I thinks its more like a "if a deal makes sense" kind of thing), they'd probably go full futures, not a 25 year old D with 8 games of NHL experience or winger they have no use for. But I expect if he's moved it'd be for a similarly aged LH PMD or scoring winger with size.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The problem is drouin doesnt have much value, everyone in the hockey world has seen him get ripped apart in the MTL media seen, hes not going to replace landeskog on the top line because he doesnt bring that style of play to the table, could he play on the second line with kadri, but what's the price for a guy who's ceiling has been 50 pts in 5 to 6 seasons... probably nothing that MTL wants considering they have kaut, newhook, Bowers, kamanev, jost, nichushkin, and burakovsky that can slide into that spot now, and in the future.... it doesnt make sense for the avs which is why I hate having this argument with MTL fans

I didn't make that proposal, An Avs fan did. And here's the thing - Montreal has no reason to trade Drouin.

The media problem is that he was sold (mostly by French Canadian media) as French Canadian star player, which were unreasonable expectations. He still has plenty of use. And like, if Colorado really thinks guys you listed will be more of help now than Drouin, fine (although they probably shouldn't).

Montreal doesn't need or would really want a Rosen, Burakovsky, Nichuskin, Greer, Jost, Kamenev, Browers, Kaut, etc. in a Drouin deal. Odds are they'll never be more useful to Montreal than what Drouin already is. And if teams aren't willing to give Montreal pieces they actually want or address a need, then why would they trade him?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I didn't make that proposal, An Avs fan did. And here's the thing - Montreal has no reason to trade Drouin.

The media problem is that he was sold (mostly by French Canadian media) as French Canadian star player, which were unreasonable expectations. He still has plenty of use. And like, if Colorado really thinks guys you listed will be more of help now than Drouin, fine (although they probably shouldn't).

Montreal doesn't need or would really want a Rosen, Burakovsky, Nichuskin, Greer, Jost, Kamenev, Browers, Kaut, etc. in a Drouin deal. Odds are they'll never be more useful to Montreal than what Drouin already is. And if teams aren't willing to give Montreal pieces they actually want or address a need, then why would they trade him?
Poor guy seriously I live in Quebec and keep seeing media things like Drouin didn't look good in the preseason, Do the Habs needs to trade Drouin ? Well most of the summer it was either Habs prospect pool with Poehling, Suzuki and the rest or negative things on Drouin. And yesterday I saw something like Drouin in war against french journalists. I was like YOU DON'T SAY ! Would feel the same if I felt somehow attacked by those journalists.

Reactions: FedorTyutin

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Poor guy seriously I live in Quebec and keep seeing media things like Drouin didn't look good in the preseason, Do the Habs needs to trade Drouin ? Well most of the summer it was either Habs prospect pool with Poehling, Suzuki and the rest or negative things on Drouin. And yesterday I saw something like Drouin in war against french journalists. I was like YOU DON'T SAY ! Would feel the same if I felt somehow attacked by those journalists.

Especially since it was mostly the same media (together with management) that set Drouin up to fail in the first place.

But the pre-season complaints mean nothing. Most notable Habs have gotten that treatment before.

I have a feeling if someone actually offered a 1st for Drouin he'd be traded already.

Unless Canadiens management felt there was a good chance it would be a top-10 pick, I doubt it.

Reactions: Spilot23

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Shocking that people think a struggling Hab has little to no value...I mean...that never happens on HF. *cough* Patches, Galchenyuk, Shaw, Pleks *cough*

Reactions: Draft

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Sergachev was a top 10 pick wasn't he?

The situation was different back then. Drouin was 21, had only played two seasons’ worth of games in the NHL, had just posted career high scoring numbers, and looked like he was trending upward. In addition many outsiders not informed enough to know better were assigning as much blame to the organization as they were to Drouin for his temper tantrum and refusal to report; those same people also didn’t realize that even that was secondary to the problems posed by his ego and resulting refusal to work on his game (which is why he wasn’t getting the playing time he thought he deserved in the first place.)

So while not very smart, at the time it was at least understandable that a GM might be foolish enough to think that Drouin was merely a highly talented young player who was upset at not getting enough playing time, and that he would thrive with a change of scenery. That is not the case now. Drouin is now 24, has never topped the numbers he put up the season before he was traded to Montreal, and his issues are widely known beyond the Lightning organization and those close to it. Nobody’s trading a high first-rounder or equivalent value for him at this point.

Reactions: Nico Hischier

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gardiner for Drouin?

Basically, I think that Drouin is worth a guy like Zucker, maybe a bit more, but there is no reason to make THAT trade.

I'm guessing that MTL would like a second pairing LHD in return.

EDM is desperate for forward talent, but have no cap room. Perhaps they can send a LHD to MTL? Are they willing to part with one of Klefbom or Nurse?

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
1) I know who Rosen is. I live in Toronto and have seen him live a couple of times. Even if he's all you suggest and more, he doesn't have a lot of value in the trade market. And Montreal doesn't really need D depth that much. Rosen would likely just be with the Rocket.

2) Montreal doesn't need to replace Drouin with a top-9 winger if they trade him. They have extra top-9 caliber wingers and they have prospects in the AHL that aren't far out.

If Montreal really wanted to trade Drouin (and I thinks its more like a "if a deal makes sense" kind of thing), they'd probably go full futures, not a 25 year old D with 8 games of NHL experience or winger they have no use for. But I expect if he's moved it'd be for a similarly aged LH PMD or scoring winger with size.

Thank you for you in-depth breakdown. I find it hard to pinpoint what exactly Montreal is going for and if it’s a futures package I think Colorado could make that work. How much more would be required to our 2020 first (in your opinion) do you believe needs to be added to a potential trade?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Thank you for you in-depth breakdown. I find it hard to pinpoint what exactly Montreal is going for and if it’s a futures package I think Colorado could make that work. How much more would be required to our 2020 first (in your opinion) do you believe needs to be added to a potential trade?

I'll be honest, given Bergevin's other trades of notable names, I think he'd be looking for more of a hockey trade as opposed to a futures trade. I'm also the wrong person to ask what a plus would look like, since I won't even suggest Colorado would move their top prospects and I really don't know much about the guys lower down.

If I had to guess for a futures trade though, the Tatar to Vegas seems like a decent starting point (1st, 2nd and 3rd or current prospect equivalents), with better pick(s) or more pieces going to Montreal due to Drouin's age and pedigree (but not a TON, since its unlikely he's more than what he is now). I don't see much point in trading him for less right now, and I've never been much of a fan.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Shocking that people think a struggling Hab has little to no value...I mean...that never happens on HF. *cough* Patches, Galchenyuk, Shaw, Pleks *cough*

This is true with all teams on HFB......not just the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad