Drew Remenda (Poll)

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I watch the other teams feed on gamecenter, 9/10 games, solely because I can't stand this goof

Constantly praising the other team, trash talking his 'own' team, and terrible vocabulary for a sports commentator. No enthusiasm whatsoever, this guy needs to go yesterday
I cancelled gamecenter because they blocked my way around the blackout. Not too happy about that

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think I even understand the blackout part..probably because it's never affected me.
What's the reasoning behind it?

Obviously that the Canadian carriers have rightsholdings in the Canadian jurisdiction which they of course pay for. Thus the blackouts.

Any circumvention of that limits their ratings, advertising revenue, market share.

I don't agree with it but that's the reason.

Jun 9, 2011
Drew has been much more balanced lately and he is has even seen things from an Oiler fan point of view a few times!

As much as I don't want him harping on our guys constantly and defending anything negative towards us, calls, plays etc, I couldn't handle what the Flames broadcast crew is like. I watched just a few seconds, only to hear the Flames announcer say something like "we'll get right back to the goal from Anaheim, but first lets show you a great play Bennet made at the other end of the ice" .. then he proceeds to give details about Bennet, then and skims over the goal against. I've never heard that type of homerism before.. wow.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Obviously that the Canadian carriers have rightsholdings in the Canadian jurisdiction which they of course pay for. Thus the blackouts.

Any circumvention of that limits their ratings, advertising revenue, market share.

I don't agree with it but that's the reason.

Thanks for that but I guess I don't really understand even the concept.

For instance, why would Oiler's games outside their marketing area (Alberta/Sask) be blacked out? Wouldn't it make more sense to build up an even greater audience/following by promoting these teams across a more broad range thus increasing revenue from merchandise, etc?

And if it's so you have to subscribe to Game Center or something, and they still blackout some games? I don't know. Guess I just don't understand it.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread...carry on.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thanks for that but I guess I don't really understand even the concept.

For instance, why would Oiler's games outside their marketing area (Alberta/Sask) be blacked out? Wouldn't it make more sense to build up an even greater audience/following by promoting these teams across a more broad range thus increasing revenue from merchandise, etc?

And if it's so you have to subscribe to Game Center or something, and they still blackout some games? I don't know. Guess I just don't understand it.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread...carry on.

I'm with you. I think it makes more sense for games to be widely available and increases market share for the NHL brand if more games are covered and watched.

But in any time frame theres different schools of thought on how rights are best served.

The CFL was previously in the dark ages and used to blackout as well. The league correctly realized this was simply limiting exposure to their product and was counter productive. Since removing the blackouts decades ago the CFL has had vastly improved ratings and marketshare resulting in TV contracts better than they ever dreamed about.

The NHL, on this side of the border is making the same mistakes the CFL learned from decades ago.

Its not entirely OT either. Probably most of us prefer watching opposition broadcasts which is sad commentary on the poor product that Remenda and Quinn are putting out. I mean how many times do we have to hear Remanda saying SJ Sharks instead of Oilers or Quinn thinking Talbot, not Brossoit, is in net?

Oct 15, 2008
He does a very good job. People here don't like him cause he isn't a turd polisher like Stauffer. I find his honesty refreshing. The team is in last place again people. Not a lot to be positive about.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He does a very good job. People here don't like him cause he isn't a turd polisher like Stauffer. I find his honesty refreshing. The team is in last place again people. Not a lot to be positive about.

I think the constant fawning over the opposition, especially the Sharks, gets a tad irritating.

I guess Remenda is the best from the lot of worsts.

Garrett - old senile fart that gets ******** anytime opposition touches the Canucks
Hrudey - ignorant fart obsessed with Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett...you'd think they are the only players on ice

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Was Ferraro a 'turd polisher' ? He criticized the Oil as well. The difference was he knew what he was talking about.

I don't like Remenda for a couple of reasons.

He makes too many mistakes..whether it's a player's name/position, whatever..over and over..it seems every game. Becomes very tiring.

He's wrong on numerous calls..whether it's slashing, whether calls were offside/icing/tripping..whatever. I don't think I've seen or heard someone in that position make so many simple mistakes from watching a game.

AND he goes on for 10 minutes about something on the ice that a child could pick out and it seems like it's a revelation to him. "That was definitely a penalty. You can't slash that stick there. This guy should know better..blah, blah.. Things like.."He tripped over the blue line..my god, you have to question his skating there. He's 24 for Pete's sake and been in the league 4 years already. We had people in San Jose back in 2014....blah, blah".

Zero to do with 'turd polishing' for me...

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be honest, I usually mute broadcasts about 10 minutes into the first period, and usually fast forward through every intermission, especially if Spector is involved.

Probably not what Sportsnet is going for, but that's as much as I can bear.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
About 50% of the time Quinn misses actual goal calls because he is yammering about something else and thus the excitement or pain of a goal is 100% totally lost.

I have come to 100% detest his breaking down of stats into home and away for everything.

Remenda is a huge problem for a number of reasons.

1) Your just don't bring in a guy who in essence was the enemy for years as your color guy.
2) He has such a large bias in favor of our coaches that it totally colors his comments and will do so forever.
3) Point 2 leads to him picking player favorites and guys he doesn't like much like anyone else I suppose but he is not balanced in his reporting.

The Oilers and the Eskimos have the worst groups of commentators I've seen since I was a fan of each team, neither team gives a rats ass about it.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
To be honest, I usually mute broadcasts about 10 minutes into the first period, and usually fast forward through every intermission, especially if Spector is involved.

Probably not what Sportsnet is going for, but that's as much as I can bear.

I record every game and start an hour behind just so I can forward through the breaks/between periods. With Quinn and Remenda, I sometimes even have to mute it.
And I never listen to Spector..another reason to FF through all that.

Oct 15, 2008
Was Ferraro a 'turd polisher' ? He criticized the Oil as well. The difference was he knew what he was talking about.

I don't like Remenda for a couple of reasons.

He makes too many mistakes..whether it's a player's name/position, whatever..over and over..it seems every game. Becomes very tiring.

He's wrong on numerous calls..whether it's slashing, whether calls were offside/icing/tripping..whatever. I don't think I've seen or heard someone in that position make so many simple mistakes from watching a game.

AND he goes on for 10 minutes about something on the ice that a child could pick out and it seems like it's a revelation to him. "That was definitely a penalty. You can't slash that stick there. This guy should know better..blah, blah.. Things like.."He tripped over the blue line..my god, you have to question his skating there. He's 24 for Pete's sake and been in the league 4 years already. We had people in San Jose back in 2014....blah, blah".

Zero to do with 'turd polishing' for me...

I had no problem with Ferraro. He doesn't think much of the Oilers btw. Nor should he.

THEY ARE IN LAST PLACE!

AGAIN!

I see you whining in various threads about how Remenda is being negative about Oiler players or the team in general. Guess what? He's absolutely right. They deserve all the criticism they get.

Quite frankly he is going easy on them.

You don't like him. That's fine. But at least have the stones to admit why. Stop making up nonsense about him constantly making mistakes etc. That's baloney. He is very good at what he does. You don't like him because he is hard on some of the players. Just admit that. Don't go making up stuff to try and justify your bias.

Oct 15, 2008
I think the constant fawning over the opposition, especially the Sharks, gets a tad irritating.

I guess Remenda is the best from the lot of worsts.

Garrett - old senile fart that gets ******** anytime opposition touches the Canucks
Hrudey - ignorant fart obsessed with Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett...you'd think they are the only players on ice

Well he isn't wrong. He may talk more about the Sharks because that is what he knows best. Im happy to get any insight due to his close relationship with them. Beats the alternative.

You hit the nail on the head here. We could have to endure Garrett or Hrudey or heaven forbid, Stauffer one day.

Things could be much worse.

The team is in the toilet again and people are pissed at the colour guy. For being too hard on the players.

You can't make this stuff up people.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I had no problem with Ferraro. He doesn't think much of the Oilers btw. Nor should he.

THEY ARE IN LAST PLACE!

AGAIN!

I see you whining in various threads about how Remenda is being negative about Oiler players or the team in general. Guess what? He's absolutely right. They deserve all the criticism they get.

You don't like him. That's fine. But at least have the stones to admit why. Stop making up nonsense about him constantly making mistakes etc. That's baloney. He is very good at what he does. You don't like him because he is hard on some of the players. Just admit that. Don't go making up stuff to try and justify your bias.

I liked Ferraro because he knew what he was talking about, good, bad or indifferent.

It appears you love anyone that craps on the Oil so it's understandable why you'd like Remenda. Not sure why you even watch them play actually.

He's a lousy commentator that knows very little about the game of hockey.

I told you why I don't like the turd. I couldn't care less whether you believe it or not. To each his own biases.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

THEY ARE IN LAST PLACE!

AGAIN!

Its not Nonsense a couple games ago he came up with some BS stat that he usually comes up with. He fumbled his words 3-4 times that after the next shift he said "the boys in the truck are telling me I have enough time for one more shot at this"

Hes an idiot and needs to go.

No ones making stuff up, settle down

Last edited:

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I'm with you. I think it makes more sense for games to be widely available and increases market share for the NHL brand if more games are covered and watched.

But in any time frame theres different schools of thought on how rights are best served.

The CFL was previously in the dark ages and used to blackout as well. The league correctly realized this was simply limiting exposure to their product and was counter productive. Since removing the blackouts decades ago the CFL has had vastly improved ratings and marketshare resulting in TV contracts better than they ever dreamed about.

The NHL, on this side of the border is making the same mistakes the CFL learned from decades ago.

Its not entirely OT either. Probably most of us prefer watching opposition broadcasts which is sad commentary on the poor product that Remenda and Quinn are putting out. I mean how many times do we have to hear Remanda saying SJ Sharks instead of Oilers or Quinn thinking Talbot, not Brossoit, is in net?

Just so you know NBA, MLB, and NHL all handle blackouts the same way. It has nothing to do with attendance.

Basically you are saying these leagues should give up national broadcast rights and have no blackouts for regional games basically making all games national games since they would be available to everyone.

So throw away the $5.2B that sucky Rogers paid to the NHL for national games? C'mon. That is just poor business.

Rendering regional advertising and sponsorship meaningless by allowing the other team's games broadcast in the market also is poor business.

Oct 15, 2008
I liked Ferraro because he knew what he was talking about, good, bad or indifferent.

It appears you love anyone that craps on the Oil so it's understandable why you'd like Remenda. Not sure why you even watch them play actually.

He's a lousy commentator that knows very little about the game of hockey.

I told you why I don't like the turd. I couldn't care less whether you believe it or not. To each his own biases.

You just posted that you PVR the games and start watching late so you can ff through any comments made by Remenda or Spector.

How you know whether they are good, bad or indifferent is a mystery by your own admission. Just be honest with yourself and the rest of us. Or prepare to be mocked.

You decide.

obglim

Sep 17, 2008
Saskatchewan
We got spoiled by Ferraro. He's probably the best there is. DeBrusk wasn't as good as Ferraro but he was better than Remenda. I'm not sure how big of a Quinn fan I am either. And as much as I love Gene, he does make the whole thing a little hokey.

There have to be some better commentators out there. I don't want my memories of McDavid tainted with these third class announcers.

Someone should invent an app that makes whoever is calling the game sound like Bob Cole. Barring that, Cuthbert and Ferraro are probably my modern dream team.

Oct 15, 2008
Just so you know NBA, MLB, and NHL all handle blackouts the same way. It has nothing to do with attendance.

Basically you are saying these leagues should give up national broadcast rights and have no blackouts for regional games basically making all games national games since they would be available to everyone.

So throw away the $5.2B that sucky Rogers paid to the NHL for national games? C'mon. That is just poor business.

Rendering regional advertising and sponsorship meaningless by allowing the other team's games broadcast in the market also is poor business.

I paid $240+ for CI this season (ha ha, jokes on me). I still didn't get approx ten games because they were on city or Sportsnet one or some other pos station I don't subscribe to.

$240 isn't enough to pay for a season of last place hockey on the TV apparently. They would have me pay more.

Instead I will pay less. I'm thinking zero dollars. I will watch when they are on HNIC or SNETP. The Rogers deal is bad for consumers. They are making it more difficult to access the product. I have no idea how that is supposed to be good for business.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
You just posted that you PVR the games and start watching late so you can ff through any comments made by Remenda or Spector.

How you know whether they are good, bad or indifferent is a mystery by your own admission. Just be honest with yourself and the rest of us. Or prepare to be mocked.

You decide.

Well, let's see now...After about the first 60 games, I think I had a pretty good idea whether I wanted to continue to listen to a lousy, know-it-all commentator. If that mystifies you, C'est la vie.
Besides, hard to FF through the commentary now isn't it..seeing as it's ongoing with the play?

But you just continue your tirade if it makes you happy. I'm already tired of Remenda and.....mute.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Well he isn't wrong. He may talk more about the Sharks because that is what he knows best. Im happy to get any insight due to his close relationship with them. Beats the alternative.

You hit the nail on the head here. We could have to endure Garrett or Hrudey or heaven forbid, Stauffer one day.

Things could be much worse.

The team is in the toilet again and people are pissed at the colour guy. For being too hard on the players.

You can't make this stuff up people.

The thing with Remenda though is I've noticed he's talked way way more about the opposition than the team he is covering. I could deal with him *****ing about so and so on the Oilers but wow, at least stick mostly to the team you're covering-even if it means negative comments.

Oct 15, 2008
Well, let's see now...After about the first 60 games, I think I had a pretty good idea whether I wanted to continue to listen to a lousy, know-it-all commentator. If that mystifies you, C'est la vie.
Besides, hard to FF through the commentary now isn't it..seeing as it's ongoing with the play?

But you just continue your tirade if it makes you happy. I'm already tired of Remenda and.....mute.

So you ff the commentary, but watch the last place team in real time, savouring every GA, as the losses pile up like an out of control tire fire. That you are fine with. But daggummit that colour guy better shut his yap!

Mkay!

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

THEY ARE IN LAST PLACE!

AGAIN!

He's right, Remenda makes mistakes all the time. It's due to the problem he has with diarrhea of the mouth, spitting out whatever nonsense comes into his head. Goes hand in hand with his "wows", his giggles, interrupting Quinn, and his constant blathering about non-hockey subjects while the play is going on.

I'm not sure why, if someone doesn't like him, it must mean that it's because they can't take a hard-on-the-players personality. Ferraro gets a lot of respect because when he criticizes something it's usually justified. He knows what he's talking about and isn't being morose for the sake of it.

Remenda just comes off as this overly negative, goofy, know-nothing champion of the obvious.

"You know, the hockey stick is really SUCH an important tool for a defenseman"...thanks, Drew. Super insightful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad