Drew Remenda (Poll)

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
he is the most negative cynic regarding the oilers i've seen.... that's supposed to be my job.

but seriously, definitely overly critical of the oilers, displays equal amounts knowledge about the nuances of hockey and face palm worthy stupidity.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I am so sick of this guy. Literally the most idiotic announcer I've ever heard. He treats other teams like they're godly and never praises Oiler players for good plays.

His "you just can't show that body language" when Yakupov got robbed on a goal was too much.

It's so much worst that we have to pick between him or Jack freaking Michaels! :help::help::help:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's a fine color commentator. Don't know why some of you get so upset at him speaking the truth about the Oilers issues or complimenting the opposition.
Sure he may go overboard at times, especially with the Yak and Nurse criticisms, but I find him to be pretty spot on with his Oiler criticisms. I mean, they are bad at a lot of aspects of hockey, what did you guys expect really? He compliments the Oilers when they make good plays but the hatred for him on this board seems to be blind to that.

He's not perfect by any means but I'm honestly a bit surprised at all the negative reactions here. He's a very knowledgable color guy who happens to speak with his emotions on his sleeve. I like it as opposed to somebody robotic like Debrusk.
You all act like he's Jack freaking Michaels who is poison to the ears with his screeching and who'd rather talk about what he had for dinner last night than the game itself.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I think he's a putz.
commentates the game like the viewers didn't know hockey..would be perfect for an expansion teams colour guy.

and the other thing that drives me nuts?, every single game, sometimes 3 or more times during a game..
*player comes down the wing, and shoots on net, goalie gives out a rebound*
Remenda :"that's not a shot, That is not a shot, but a pass...wow, what a play, and what a pass!!"

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
I voted ditch him but he's been much better lately calling out the refs for some absolutely atrocious calls.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I actually like him. There were a couple of times, when the Oilers were really sucking, where you could just hear the hate boiling in him. I like that he's not a "company man."

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I am so sick of this guy. Literally the most idiotic announcer I've ever heard. He treats other teams like they're godly and never praises Oiler players for good plays.

His "you just can't show that body language" when Yakupov got robbed on a goal was too much.

It's so much worst that we have to pick between him or Jack freaking Michaels! :help::help::help:

Ever tried listening to Tyson Nash, John Garrett, Mickey Redmond, or Kelly Hrudey for more than a period?

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Remenda can get the job done but I voted to ditch him just due to the fact that there has to be better available. I refuse to believe remenda is the best person for this job

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Maybe we were spoiled with Ferraro. That's what I hope for from a color commentator.

Ferraro gave you a couple "Huh? Cool" moments every game when he was breaking things down.

Now we have Remenda explaining what icing is and telling us how players get tired when they're stuck out on a long shift.

Fairy McGodfather

Liquored & Cynical
Feb 5, 2016
Rural Saskatchewan
Meat clacking.

He just seems like the kind of guy who thinks everything he says is the best thing he has heard, just sits there giving himself eargasms.

Keep him, it's so ridiculous, it's hilarious.

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
Drew Remenda color analyst well he is such a fanboy of California teams. he is highly inconsistent in his comments. If they are fishing for pucks he says they need to take body and if they take the body they are supposed to be fishing. I am glad he stopped explaining rules and advantage of a longer stick. My disdain is complete I can completely tune him out. So does he add to the experience of watching the game no... so from that perspective I think he is a fail. Gene is the key to the whole thing he is the king

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
He's a fine color commentator. Don't know why some of you get so upset at him speaking the truth about the Oilers issues or complimenting the opposition.
Sure he may go overboard at times, especially with the Yak and Nurse criticisms, but I find him to be pretty spot on with his Oiler criticisms. I mean, they are bad at a lot of aspects of hockey, what did you guys expect really? He compliments the Oilers when they make good plays but the hatred for him on this board seems to be blind to that.

He's not perfect by any means but I'm honestly a bit surprised at all the negative reactions here. He's a very knowledgable color guy who happens to speak with his emotions on his sleeve. I like it as opposed to somebody robotic like Debrusk.
You all act like he's Jack freaking Michaels who is poison to the ears with his screeching and who'd rather talk about what he had for dinner last night than the game itself.

I don't know if maybe it comes down to the type of viewer; positive vs. negative, as an oversimplification?

I much prefer the positive side, personally. Which is not to say I need smoke blown up my arse all game, but I really don't need to hear over, and over, and over again how bad the players and the team are. I see the mistakes, I know what our place in the standings is. Remenda freaking out with... "Eberle can't do that! Look! Look at what he did! He missed his man! Right there!!" or Spector having one of his hissy fits... "The Oilers FOLD!! AGAIN! This team has no guts!!! Good teams DON'T do that!!!"...those things are hardly an expert analysis. Not insightful in any way whatsoever, and it's certainly not having the guts to 'call it like it is'...very simply, in my mind, it's *****ing for the sake of *****ing. Some guys love it though, it seems. Not sure if it's filling a need to vent or what the reason is.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Forget Remenda, let's get rid of Quinn first. By far the worst play by play guy on local broadcasts in the NHL IMO.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Forget Remenda, let's get rid of Quinn first. By far the worst play by play guy on local broadcasts in the NHL IMO.

He used to be better than he is now.

I think the rise of the advance stat community has ruined him. He doesn't quite understand what everyone is talking about, so he just regurgitates obscure, and frequently irrelevant stats all game in an attempt to remain relevant. That, and he's become utterly obsessed with faceoffs, especially when players "get low" when they take the draw.

The media did seem to be disappointed the fans weren't after Yak's head at the last game. Strange.

They probably are. The media in this town has held a monopoly on being able to manipulate the opinions of casual fans for the organization for decades. The fact that a player requested a trade, the media piled on, and people still like him shows that your mid range fan is reading the internet and formulating his/her own opinion, rather than taking what they hear on the radio or in the newspaper as gospel.

About time

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011
I want a broadcaster that doesn't feel biased when criticizing the team. Whenever he criticizes the Oilers it makes it feel like an away broadcast. People will say that we should want to have a color guy that isn't afraid to criticize the team and I agree but the way Remenda goes about it takes away from the broadcast for me. He comes across as a huge know it all when some of his criticisms make it seem like he doesn't know very much, like a few weeks ago freaking out at Fayne for shooting the puck down the boards on a PK and accidentally hitting the ref. That play is the correct play in that situation and even if it wasn't he went on what felt like a five-minute rant about how idiotic Fayne is for accidentally hitting the ref with the puck.

When Remenda criticizes players he focuses in on one them all game and just chips away at them over and over again. He's done it with multiple players this season including Yak, Nurse, Hall and Fayne and when other players make the same plays in the same situation he doesn't say anything.

I don't think he was even that bad last season but this season for me, at least, he's been unbearable. I don't care if the color guy is any good, I just want him to not take away from the game experience.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The media did seem to be disappointed the fans weren't after Yak's head at the last game. Strange.

Well before the game they really thought the fans would be booing him, yet it didn't happen. The whole story is just BS how it's being spun. Yes he asked for a trade, but it's really about the kid wanting to play more than anything.

As a side note, I sure love Kassian on Gregs show. At least we are getting real player insight, not the whole Brownlee and friends pretending how players feel in these situations. Even Struds was good and put Brownlee in his place a few times.

For those of you that missed it Kassian, flat out said with Spezza the players really didn't care. All that they wanted was the player not to quit. In Ottawa no one really knew either, but as time went on more and more people within coaching and the players found out. He said guys want out all the time, but it's not until they quit trying that players get upset with them. Kinda mentioned Schultz, but wasn't sure what to make of that.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah Quinn is absolutely terrible too but I think people just accept him because he's been the guy no matter what now for the past 10 years.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Not a huge fan. With that said, I don't mind him, but I understand why many people can find him annoying. lol. This team is very bad and they deserve to be criticized. I cannot stand those homer PBP/Color guys. If he tells it like it is, I honestly don't mind it. Some fans take their pitchforks out every time an analyst says something bad about their team.

We were spoiled with Ferraro. and while many disliked Louie, it sounds like most people miss him and would rather have him back over Drew. That's fine with me, as I never hated Louie like most did. Our fanbase has been quite negative in recent years, so I just think people are hating as a form of venting their frustrations.

One thing that annoys me is his player bias. For example, last game vs Anaheim, Yakupov hung his head down after a missed scoring opportunity and Drew ripped him for that. One period later, Maroon almost vomited for missing his scoring chance, and Drew found that entertaining and never criticized him for that. lol. If he gets rid of that part of his dialogue, I won't hate on the dude.

Gambl0r83*

I watch the other teams feed on gamecenter, 9/10 games, solely because I can't stand this goof

Constantly praising the other team, trash talking his 'own' team, and terrible vocabulary for a sports commentator. No enthusiasm whatsoever, this guy needs to go yesterday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad