Drew Remenda (Poll)

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I remember 2 things he seemed very sure about that turned out to be dead wrong

1. Near the end of last year, Bob asked him about McLellans situation in San Jose and his job security.
Remenda said that if McLellan doesn't coach the Sharks the next season, it'll be because they fired him. He stressed that in no way would Todd ever 'mutually agree' to leave the organization. He went out of his way to reiterate that fact. He bragged about how well he knew McLellan and that he would never do anything like that.
A few weeks later he mutually terminated his employment with the Sharks.
2. Last week Bob asked him of the Sharks would seek retribution for the Nurse hit. Remend said a few different times 'no, it's not their style.'
The next day the Sharks call up Haley, who then goes after Nurse.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't even care about his biases. I just find him to be a terrible color guy.

He just never adds anything even a little interesting. He just explains the most basic parts of hockey and talks like he's telling some age old secret when doing it.

That might work in a market like San Jose, but not here.

I honestly think 90% of the posters on here could provide more "insight" than he does.

I don't like how him and Quinn are together. Quinn gets cut off by him and sometimes you can tell he's pissed off at Remeda's timing.

I preferred Louie.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Can't stand the guy for reasons already mentioned.
The ooohs and aahhs and all of the giggling is down right annoying. Can't handle the constant negativity, either...he and Spector are both just so tiring with the constant team bashing.

I could put up with his personality a little better if he were able to offer up any kind of useful insight into the game, but he really doesn't. Instead, it's stuff like...
"You know, the hockey stick is SUCH an important tool for a defenseman"...really..?

DeBrusk was great, as was Ferraro.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
DeBrusk is awesome.

It seems like he's actually taking it upon himself to get the Oilers POV on Sportsnet.

Something which never ever happens.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He can be too critical at times, but he gives an honest assessment. I'd much rather that than the hacks that the Flames, for example, have.

I prefer Louie in his current role. This way he can call out Shannon

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
DeBrusk is awesome.

It seems like he's actually taking it upon himself to get the Oilers POV on Sportsnet.

Something which never ever happens.

I think DeBrusk is an actual "call it like it is" guy. He never shied away from calling our players out for doing something stupid or dishonest. He always brings out both teams perspective on things in a fair way when it's needed. And I don't feel he ever really played favourites, aside from maybe giving extra thumbs up to tougher players because he was one.

He probably makes a lot more money though doing the panels, and a lot less travel.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think DeBrusk is an actual "call it like it is" guy. He never shied away from calling our players out for doing something stupid or dishonest. He always brings out both teams perspective on things in a fair way when it's needed.

He probably makes a lot more money though doing the panels, and a lot less travel.

I don't know. Last week they were saying something about him flying all over the place. Something about leaving during one game or right after to get to the next city. I don't know what else he really does other than Oiler games though.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Remenda spends too much time in conversation with Quinn, rather than using said time commenting about the play. It also seems difficult for him to project his knowledge beyond personal experience and comes across as a know-it-all.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't know. Last week they were saying something about him flying all over the place. Something about leaving during one game or right after to get to the next city. I don't know what else he really does other than Oiler games though.

I just kinda assumed that you travel less if you're spending more time in those rooms with the panel desks :) Maybe not?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I like his honest option, but his insight is severly lacking. I like color guys that can break down systems and stuff like that

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
People are asking for DeBrusk yet a ton of people complained when he was here as well. It's just a never ending cycle of hate. I personally like Remenda and have since he was in San Jose all those years. He tells it like it is and I like that he has no problem putting a player under a microscope and giving constructive criticism. I prefer that over complete biased homers like Jack Edwards in Boston or that Staggie guy in Pittsburgh. I get that we all have opinions and I respect it, but it seems like some people can never be satisfied.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I always thought Ferraro was the best. I found Louie was always too positive, I never heard him call anyone out.

The one thing I'm getting with Remenda is that it appears he is talking all the time to the coaching staff and getting told what their problems are with the team. So when he's saying "The guys have to get this in deeper, it's been told to them" or something along the lines of the powerplay, I have been getting the impression this is directly from TMac, which I appreciate.

Now if it's not, (as a poster a few above is implying) then yeah, he's pretty meh. I like to know though what the coach has been telling the players (system) and when they are not executing to that system.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Actually I find him very irritating. On Saturday the only feed I got out here was the Punjabi version of HNIC and I was shocked that I enjoyed it more than the usual SNet feed.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
While he has his flaws, he remains among the better group of color commenters in the league. Watching Center Ice makes me appreciate what we have for the Oilers broadcasts. Unless you want a big homer singing praises all game like Hrudey.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Remenda is fine in my book. I much prefer him to Debrusk, whose color commentary was closer to describing plays like he was speaking to a radio audience that couldn't see the game, rather than attempting to provide some insight.

He has his issues of course. He tends to take whatever Mclellan says as gospel(a lot of his anti-Yakupov bias is coming from that direction), he tends to sound like a disgruntled oiler fan when things aren't going well, and uses too many exclamations of wonder. Still, he's closer on the spectrum to Ferraro than he is compared to the many homer announcers around the league, and he's no where near the party line pusher that Debrusk was. A team like this needs some criticism when they are skating to another bottom 2 finish, it's more jarring to hear praise for a team that struggles to be competitive on a nightly basis than it is negative comments exposing their poor play.

Last edited:

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I think DeBrusk is an actual "call it like it is" guy. He never shied away from calling our players out for doing something stupid or dishonest. He always brings out both teams perspective on things in a fair way when it's needed. And I don't feel he ever really played favourites, aside from maybe giving extra thumbs up to tougher players because he was one.

Debrusk was an Oilers "yes man"...Stauffer light. Team could play like crap and he would attempt to pump hot air up their butt.

Remenda picks his targets that he dislikes much like he did with Yak the last game. Not good.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Remenda is fine in my book. I much prefer him to Debrusk, whose color commentary was closer to describing plays like he was speaking to a radio audience that couldn't see the game, rather than attempting to provide some insight.

He has his issues of course. He tends to take whatever Mclellan says as gospel(a lot of his anti-Yakupov bias is coming from that direction), he tends to sound like a disgruntled oiler fan when things aren't going well, and uses too many exclamations of wonder. Still, he's closer on the spectrum to Ferraro than he is compared to the many homer announcers around the league, and he's no where near the party line pusher that Debrusk was. A team like this needs some criticism when they are skating to another bottom 2 finish, it's more jarring to hear praise for a team that struggles to be competitive on a nightly basis than it is negative comments exposing their poor play.

missed your response...I agree.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow '

ditch him wow.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Ditch him. He rarely offers any valuable insight. While I actually respect and like it when he is NOT a homer, he sometimes goes overboard. He regurgitates a lot of the eastern media talking points, which are often inaccurate.

But if we're gonna be replacing him with a yes man, then I'd rather have Remenda.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers haven't had a good colour guy since Ferraro was the regional colour guy for the Oilers.

Debrusk and Remenda both suck, just for opposite reasons. Neither are good at providing thoughtful analysis in game or in between plays. Debrusk was a yes man, and Remenda thinks he's doing colour for an audience that doesn't understand hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad