Drew Remenda (Poll)

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I paid $240+ for CI this season (ha ha, jokes on me). I still didn't get approx ten games because they were on city or Sportsnet one or some other pos station I don't subscribe to.

$240 isn't enough to pay for a season of last place hockey on the TV apparently. They would have me pay more.

Instead I will pay less. I'm thinking zero dollars. I will watch when they are on HNIC or SNETP. The Rogers deal is bad for consumers. They are making it more difficult to access the product. I have no idea how that is supposed to be good for business.

The previous TSN/CBC deal handled local blackouts the same way as Rogers with the exception of RDS Habs.

Regional games broadcast on SNETW are not available outside of AB-SK-NWT. It gets a big confusing bc there are also national games on SNETW.

Really best workaround is get yourself NHL.TV (formerly NHL GCL) and get a Roku or Appletv and something like unblockus. You do get to choose your broadcast team. PM and I can help explain.

Back on topic - I don't mind Drew. He is willing to rip the Oilers from time to time when it is deserved. Louie was unwilling to do this previously. Although, he is more critical during the intermission panel segments now. PS. I hate Gene schtick.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Don't mind him, but would much rather have DeBrusk back.

I've found DeBrusk's work on the SN panel this year to be excellent.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think I even understand the blackout part..probably because it's never affected me.
What's the reasoning behind it?

The blackout is so you can only watch the game on local broadcasts. Meaning you'd need a cable subscription and sportsnet package to watch any games (I watch the ONIC games stil). Which is bs because Rogers GC and Rogers SN.
On centerice and gamecenter they blackout these games for two days before you can watch it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Whole lot of meh for me. Makes some solid comments, but like others have said, don't really like the oohs, aahhhs, and wows that happen intermittently. Not sure if "Chip and chase" Louie would be that much better. But I can handle listening to them, and refuse to listen to the radio clown show at any time, so there's that.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
The previous TSN/CBC deal handled local blackouts the same way as Rogers with the exception of RDS Habs.

Regional games broadcast on SNETW are not available outside of AB-SK-NWT. It gets a big confusing bc there are also national games on SNETW.

Really best workaround is get yourself NHL.TV (formerly NHL GCL) and get a Roku or Appletv and something like unblockus. You do get to choose your broadcast team. PM and I can help explain.

Back on topic - I don't mind Drew. He is willing to rip the Oilers from time to time when it is deserved. Louie was unwilling to do this previously. Although, he is more critical during the intermission panel segments now. PS. I hate Gene schtick.
Unblock us doesn't work for me and my apple tv :(

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just so you know NBA, MLB, and NHL all handle blackouts the same way. It has nothing to do with attendance.

Basically you are saying these leagues should give up national broadcast rights and have no blackouts for regional games basically making all games national games since they would be available to everyone.

So throw away the $5.2B that sucky Rogers paid to the NHL for national games? C'mon. That is just poor business

Rendering regional advertising and sponsorship meaningless by allowing the other team's games broadcast in the market also is poor business.

How is that what I stated?

There should still be rightsholding but those rights should come with more televised games in that rightsholders market. Adjustments can be made to how the rightsholding is interpreted. Right now under the current TSN/Rogers share for instance theres a ton of games now unviewable due to strictly blackouts. I have 5 TSN channels I barely ever see when theres a hockey game on. Doesn't matter if the games are before, during, or after a Rogers broadcast. That's not protecting broadcast rights, its just thick.

I should ask my subscriber why I even pay for TSN. Other than CFL I never watch ANY of their channels. Theres 7mths of the year I don't even tune into those stations. Yet I'm an ardent NHL fan that would watch their channel for NHL games if only that was allowed. That's how ridiculous the current arrangement is. Its basically Rogers/TSN locked in a death battle and the fans, and ultimately the broadcasters suffering.

The real enemy is online feeds. Whether paid or peer broadcast. That should be considered the competitor and the networks should work out a bit more cooperation to prevent people from either finding other means to watch games or walking away from ALL the products in frustration. As many people are doing with cable period.

If you think the current broadcast policies make sense you haven't paid attention to Cable subscriptions plummeting. its not complicated. I pay for the cable channels, I want content. Not arbitrary black screens.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
How is that what I stated?

There should still be rightsholding but those rights should come with more televised games in that rightsholders market. Adjustments can be made to how the rightsholding is interpreted. Right now under the current TSN/Rogers share for instance theres a ton of games now unviewable due to strictly blackouts. I have 5 TSN channels I barely ever see when theres a hockey game on. Doesn't matter if the games are before, during, or after a Rogers broadcast. That's not protecting broadcast rights, its just thick.

If you think the current broadcast policies make sense you haven't paid attention to Cable subscriptions plummeting. its not complicated. I pay for the cable channels, I want content. Not arbitrary black screens.

It is protecting the national rights package. Otherwise games regional games (all TSN games for example) would be available nationally. Something TSN did not pay a dime for. TSN paid for regional rights only.

The funny thing about your arguments is that live sports is credited for helping to keep more people from dumping cable and satellite.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It is protecting the national rights package. Otherwise games regional games (all TSN games for example) would be available nationally. Something TSN did not pay a dime for. TSN paid for regional rights only.

The funny thing about your arguments is that live sports is credited for helping to keep more people from dumping cable and satellite.

Theres credence to both arguments.

Also the bolded is odd. Would love to see stats for that.

The bottom line is people are dumping cable and satellite for other entertainment options and often online options. Ultimately I'm correct. The Cable networks are doing battle with each other while their kingdom crumbles around them.

jmo but NHL rights in Canada should apply just to games involving Canadian teams. if TSN is showing say Washington vs LA I should be able to watch it and not have it blacked out just because Rogers is showing Calgary vs Vancouver. (This actually occurred)\

Similarly, if any Eastern Canadian club is playing say Washington almost anybody would rather watch that then Calgary vs Winnipeg.

Finally, within the networks, for instance Rogers, the whole power and advantage Rogers has is for it to be maximizing share by carrying ALL of its games nationally. Why the hell not? No reason not to. They have multiple channels. I should be getting ALL the games Rogers have rights to.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I do notice people at school repeating Remenda's comments when discussing players with them.. I don't have a lot of tolerance for stupid though so the discussions end quickly.

Off topic.. I have this memory of Eberle talking to the media burned into my brain. During Eakins last days
Eberle crying out to the media: "the coaching isn't the problem" and his eyes are puffy and sad like he had been crying for a while beforehand.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Theres credence to both arguments.

Also the bolded is odd. Would love to see stats for that.

The bottom line is people are dumping cable and satellite for other entertainment options and often online options. Ultimately I'm correct. The Cable networks are doing battle with each other while their kingdom crumbles around them.

jmo but NHL rights in Canada should apply just to games involving Canadian teams. if TSN is showing say Washington vs LA I should be able to watch it and not have it blacked out just because Rogers is showing Calgary vs Vancouver. (This actually occurred)\

Similarly, if any Eastern Canadian club is playing say Washington almost anybody would rather watch that then Calgary vs Winnipeg.

Finally, within the networks, for instance Rogers, the whole power and advantage Rogers has is for it to be maximizing share by carrying ALL of its games nationally. Why the hell not? No reason not to. They have multiple channels. I should be getting ALL the games Rogers have rights to.

Ultimately, you are correct with cable/satellite subs. Live sports are PVR proof so advertisers like them. So live sports must help support things until things like streaming options become more available.

When did the bold occurred? That is not how the regional rights work whatsoever.

You are getting EXACTLY what Rogers paid rights to show.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...s-puzzle-canadian-tv-viewers/article22035360/

"In simple terms, the NHL does not allow the broad distribution of one team’s games in another team’s market area. The idea is to maximize the price for each team’s regional broadcast rights, which are sold in packages separate from the 12-year, $5.2-billion national deal that Rogers struck with the NHL. For example, the league believes that if it allowed every Toronto Maple Leafs game to be shown in Vancouver it would drive down the price of the Canucks’ regional broadcast package.

However, many games are designated as national broadcasts – 350 this season on the Rogers networks and the CBC – and they can be seen across the country, generally on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The regional games are shown on the networks that bought them from the individual teams. In Canada, the regional English rights for the Montreal Canadiens, Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames and some of the Leafs games are held by Rogers in addition to the national package. Rogers says it added 10 Canucks, Oilers, Flames and Habs games to the national broadcasts this season because it owns their regional rights as well.

TSN, owned by Rogers rival BCE Inc., has the rights to 26 Leafs games in addition to the Ottawa Senators and the Winnipeg Jets."

This might help explain things.

AND MORE HERE. As noted, the blackout procedures are not new -- they has been around since 1998.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/frequently-asked-questions/

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Ultimately, you are correct with cable/satellite subs. Live sports are PVR proof so advertisers like them. So live sports must help support things until things like streaming options become more available.

When did the bold occurred? That is not how the regional rights work whatsoever.

What do you mean live sports are PVR proof? I record every game and watch them later. All of them.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What do you mean live sports are PVR proof? I record every game and watch them later. All of them.

Yeah, wondered about that as well. Hockey is perfect to PVR. Takes me just over an hour to watch a game instead of 3. Win win.

tbh I don't even care if I know the score. I tend to enjoy the game more and focus on the good plays if I already know the result. I watch hockey for quality of play and not just result so PVR games always works for me. Plus with the odd games you get to decide not to watch games the team refuses to show up in.

For playoffs though I tend to like live broadcasts for my favorite clubs but ALL those games are broadcast.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Its actually very rare that I get to see ANY game on TSN. The tiers I have on Shaw they are almost always blacked out. I don't know why I even have them. Can't remember the last time I was actually able to watch a game on TSN. Any NHL game. If Rogers is showing ANY game that night I don't get the TSN games.
Always blacked out.
I have 5 TSN channel tiers and none of them show me NHL hockey.

I've even stopped laughing about it. I thought it was absurd at first, now its just more an aggravation. I should just eliminate those channels. But then CFL season occurs. CFL is the only reason I don't phone Shaw to get rid of TSN.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Its actually very rare that I get to see ANY game on TSN. The tiers I have on Shaw they are almost always blacked out. I don't know why I even have them. Can't remember the last time I was actually able to watch a game on TSN. Any NHL game. If Rogers is showing ANY game that night I don't get the TSN games.
Always blacked out.
I have 5 TSN channel tiers and none of them show me NHL hockey.

I've even stopped laughing about it. I thought it was absurd at first, now its just more an aggravation. I should just eliminate those channels. But then CFL season occurs. CFL is the only reason I don't phone Shaw to get rid of TSN.

TSN only has rights to show regional Jets, regional Leafs, and regional Sens games. They have no rights to show any NHL games in Alberta on any channels at any time. It has nothing to do with whether games are on any other channel or not. IE, TSN didn't pay to have the rights to air any NHL games in Alberta. They don't have rights to show any us v us games either which is why I asked when that happened. It is impossible for them to have had an all American game on their schedule last season or this season. They simply don't have the rights.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
TSN only has rights to show regional Jets, regional Leafs, and regional Sens games. They have no rights to show any NHL games in Alberta on any channels at any time. It has nothing to do with whether games are on any other channel or not. IE, TSN didn't pay to have the rights to air any NHL games in Alberta. They don't have rights to show any us v us games either which is why I asked when that happened. It is impossible for them to have had an all American game on their schedule last season or this season. They simply don't have the rights.

It could be that Rogers was carrying the Washington-Kings game (the last one played) in Ontario. Memory isn't what it used to be but the game was available, but not nationally. Had to watch a WC game featuring I believe it was Calgary instead.

Now that raises another level of concern that the broadcaster should be more fluid in assessing games of the week and that sort of thing. Instead of committing a year in advance to a pre programmed schedule. The marquee games should be shown, and in markets where rights are maintained.

Also, this is Edmonton. Does Rogers seems to think that Edmontonians want to watch Flames games? I'd rather watch anything but. I'd rather watch a reality program on dental surgery.

Finally, why is it that a subscriber in Edmonton, on Shaw, has 5 tiers of TSN occupying space on channel listings when I hardly ever get these channels and/or all 5 are always playing the same thing, not even timeshifted. I'm thinking maybe I have the same channel listings that somebody in say Waterloo Ontario would but that's asinine given the differential broadcast rights. tbh I'd rather not know which games subscribers in the east are getting. Whether that be a listing of TSN or Rogers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad