Confirmed with Link: Drew Doughty signs 8-year, 11 million AAV extension

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
This should be one of the first promising signs of Doughty maturing as a player and leader. He could have easily dragged this out for a year and become the highest paid player in the league. He could have been traded/in a year signed with any team in the league. He could have stoked a bidding war in his favor

But instead he sat down and punched out a deal that works for everyone in record time. He recognized that being a leader doesn't always mean just on the ice, but in decorum as well. He took a nice deal when he's worth more for the team, and I like that.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
This should be one of the first promising signs of Doughty maturing as a player and leader. He could have easily dragged this out for a year and become the highest paid player in the league. He could have been traded/in a year signed with any team in the league. He could have stoked a bidding war in his favor

But instead he sat down and punched out a deal that works for everyone in record time. He recognized that being a leader doesn't always mean just on the ice, but in decorum as well. He took a nice deal when he's worth more for the team, and I like that.
this is a really good point, there's a lot of teams in this league that would've gladly given him 12+, likely in states where he would've paid less in taxes and become richer for it. interesting he negotiated it himself, he must have known all this but still made a totally fair deal

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
also wtf do you do after you sign a contract guaranteeing yourself 88 million dollars? go buy a steak dinner? obviously its not his first but there's still gotta be some ridiculous emotional high.. feel like i wouldn't even be able to sleep, i'd be buzzing all night

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
also wtf do you do after you sign a contract guaranteeing yourself 88 million dollars? go buy a steak dinner? obviously its not his first but there's still gotta be some ridiculous emotional high.. feel like i wouldn't even be able to sleep, i'd be buzzing all night

Even when I close a deal only making 10k I go have a phenomenal dinner and an all-night bender. Not sure I'd survive 88 million. Someone get that guy a security detail

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
You do what you have to. If this team loses Drew, they lose all hope of truly competing and you might as well go into rebuild mode.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015

Based on past history, looks like he charters a jet to vegas. :D

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Where is this "just under 11 mil" talk coming from? Haven't seen it anywhere.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Playing with the GM tool on cap friendly, and even if the cap were to go up to like ~$81M (don't want to be too optimistic when making projections), someone is almost certain to have to go, maybe coming off a good season (30+ Goals) and going into the final year of his deal, Toffoli would be the odd man out.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Odd man out is probably a defenseman. We have Clague, Moverare, Fantenberg, and LaDue all ready now or in a season or so. And that is aside from Strand, Reddekop, Falkovsky, etc. No idea of the latter group's scouting reports. Not to mention the potential wild card/land mine in Voynov. There is no room for them unless someone on defense is moved.

If Toffoli goes, he would still need to be replaced. I don't think Vilardi would be ready for 2nd line that soon. About the time he could be ready is when Kovalchuk's contract expires.

I think the odd man out is Phaneuf. He's older, on a $5.25 million AAV, slower, and not as versatile as Muzzin/Martinez. Not worth that AAV.

I think what happens is Voynov's rights may get moved possibly with Phaneuf.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
LOL NBC sports, who broadcasts the Sharks I believe, just sent out a Tweet saying, "Who would you rather have the next 8 years?" with pictures of Doughty and Couture.

giphy.gif

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Odd man out is probably a defenseman. We have Clague, Moverare, Fantenberg, and LaDue all ready now or in a season or so. And that is aside from Strand, Reddekop, Falkovsky, etc. No idea of the latter group's scouting reports. Not to mention the potential wild card/land mine in Voynov. There is no room for them unless someone on defense is moved.

If Toffoli goes, he would still need to be replaced. I don't think Vilardi would be ready for 2nd line that soon. About the time he could be ready is when Kovalchuk's contract expires.

I think the odd man out is Phaneuf. He's older, on a $5.25 million AAV, slower, and not as versatile as Muzzin/Martinez. Not worth that AAV.

I think what happens is Voynov's rights may get moved possibly with Phaneuf.

Now that Doughty is locked in, all of these things will be decided at the latest possible date. They have to also sign Kempe and Iafallo(and hopefully they produce enough this year to command big raises), so Toffoli might be the guy to go. We have no idea about Vilardi. The only thing we know is that he'll be given every chance to start the season with them. Perfect world, Phaneuf would be the odd man out, since he's the oldest and the slowest, but to be the odd man out in a hard cap world, you have to be able to be moved. Phaneuf was moved, but it was for Gaborik. Otherwise, he's still in Ottawa(or somewhere else for an equally bad contract).

Voynov's right with Phaneuf? How cheap is Voynov going to be? He could stay in the KHL if it's too cheap. Is the baggage that comes with Voynov enough for a team to take Phaneuf too? I don't see how that's a trade combo. They're not getting out from under Phaneuf without suffering. Too many years left on his contract. He might be a cap dump in June 2020. Before then, it's not getting better.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
They are likely buying out Phanuef next summer or in 2020, as they won't want to have to protect him in the expansion that summer. However, they don't get enough relief just from buying him out (~$2.25M in 19-20 if they do it next summer, basically none if they do it going into 20-21), so a forward (likely Toffoli or Pearson) would have to go anyway.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Voynov and Phaneuf is more wishful thinking on my part. I understand he'll either be bought out or traded. Phaneuf may agree to a trade if he's told he'll be bought out either way - either the kings or the team he is traded to will buy him out.

We've seen several examples of teams trading and immediately buying out players this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad