Confirmed with Link: Drew Doughty signs 8-year, 11 million AAV extension

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I never blame a player for trying to get as much as they can, but I really wish Drew would take a discount and sign the same deal as Kopitar.

I think it will be 88M.

I fear it will be closer to 100M.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
BF42044A-5E36-4ED1-9401-C9C806D16732.jpeg

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Quick got his contract. Brown got his contract. Kopitar got his contract. It would be odd if Doughty didn't, regardless of what the final number is, or what it does to the cap, or anything else.

I would imagine he's the last guy that gets the retirement/thank you for the Cup contract though. My guess is that Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, and Martinez aren't in the same boat, as much as Martinez will forever be Jazz Hands.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
My guess would 8 x $11-$11.5($88-$92), Drew seems like he will be that #1 Dman on this team until the end of his contract. He's always in shape, never really gets injured and has an all around game similar to Kopiatr that will allow him to age gracefully.... Think Al MacInnis

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I like that they're taking care of this ASAP. The longer you wait the bigger distraction it becomes. If you wait it can also get more expensive. Maybe the cap is 83M+ next offseason.

Reactions: King Trouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I like that they're taking care of this ASAP. The longer you wait the bigger distraction it becomes. If you wait it can also get more expensive. Maybe the cap is 83M+ next offseason.

Yeah. And while there are guys you haggle dollars and cents over, even a million or two in one direction or another, this isn't the guy to skimp on. Someone else can lose a million if you're going to keep a top-3 (at worst) d-man in the league. I can understand people feeling a different way about Kopitar or Quick depending on where they put them on the Center or Goalie spectrum (top-5? top-1o? etc.) but Drew is tough to argue out of his all-time defenseman status.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
10 AAV. I’m fine with more but I think he’d rather win and give the team more cap space to use. Just a hunch.

Jun 30, 2006

I think based on personal experiences, Blake wanted this wrapped up on the first day they can extend Doughty.

I think it’ll be 8 years at 12.5. Making Doughty the first King to get a 100 million dollar contract.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
10 AAV. I’m fine with more but I think he’d rather win and give the team more cap space to use. Just a hunch.

His history provides zero evidence of taking discounts.

He shouldn't take one. It's an 8 year deal. How bad does his cap hit look in year 4 if the cap keeps rising? Why should he work to be the best defenseman in the world and then be underpaid in a high tax state on top of it?

Any "discount" he's going to give is not pulling a Tavares and signing immediately on July 1. At the end of the day, we should be happy he wants to be here and isn't screwing around about it.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
My guess would 8 x $11-$11.5($88-$92), Drew seems like he will be that #1 Dman on this team until the end of his contract. He's always in shape, never really gets injured and has an all around game similar to Kopiatr that will allow him to age gracefully.... Think Al MacInnis

More like Chelios. I’ve always thought that was Doughty’s most accurate comparable, including projected longevity.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Not much rattles Drew, but I think he struggled with his last contract negotiation. Not being around the guys and in camp bothered him, so I think both sides really want to get it done quickly. Best for all involved.

Reactions: King Trouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I never blame a player for trying to get as much as they can, but I really wish Drew would take a discount and sign the same deal as Kopitar.

I think it will be 88M.

I think the cap hit will be between $11M and $11.75M.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
As much as this sucks cap wise, they had no other choice.

It's either lose Doughty, trade everyone, and rebuild.

Or play NHL Jenga with the contracts and hope it doesn't implode.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Quick got his contract. Brown got his contract. Kopitar got his contract. It would be odd if Doughty didn't, regardless of what the final number is, or what it does to the cap, or anything else.

I would imagine he's the last guy that gets the retirement/thank you for the Cup contract though. My guess is that Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, and Martinez aren't in the same boat, as much as Martinez will forever be Jazz Hands.
This should be the end of the retirement contracts. Hope the next CBA gives the Kings some relief.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah. And while there are guys you haggle dollars and cents over, even a million or two in one direction or another, this isn't the guy to skimp on. Someone else can lose a million if you're going to keep a top-3 (at worst) d-man in the league. I can understand people feeling a different way about Kopitar or Quick depending on where they put them on the Center or Goalie spectrum (top-5? top-1o? etc.) but Drew is tough to argue out of his all-time defenseman status.
As I said back when Kopitar signed his deal, the Kings should have gone to Doughty and told him they were going to rebuild around him. I still think that would have been the right move with the best chance of producing another Stanley Cup by the time Doughty's next contract is up.

Not sure Doughty has the temperament to deal with something like that though since he has been quoted as saying he didn't want to be part of "another" rebuild. The guy wasn't even part of the 1st rebuild except at the tail end. Brown, Quick, and Kopitar are the guys who went through the rebuild.

With this current roster and salary structure the Kings are going to need players like Vilardi, Clague, and Anderson-Dolan, and possibly Cal Petersen to be really good, really soon.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

I think it will be 88M.

Can't expect a guy to take an $8-16m discount.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Revenues increase, the cap ceiling goes up, ergo salaries go up. That magic number of $10M is going to be surpassed. Look at the counterparts in other sports. NHL players are well behind the salary scale of NFL, NBA, and MLB. Then again, those leagues do generate far greater revenue than the NHL.

And a guy like Drew in the open market can get more than $11M per year. You look at a team like Toronto and Edmonton, they'd would give him a ridiculous offer to sign on board. Imagine the Ducks going all out to sign Drew, or the Stars. These are teams who lack a defenseman of Drew's caliber, and they know he's the type of player who makes the four other skaters on the ice better.

Fortunately, the team doesn't have many holes that need to be filled with costly additions. By 2020, they'll have to address some significant UFAs with Toffoli, Lewis, Clifford, Muzzin and Forbort all having their contracts expire. The following year, Kovalchuk, Pearson, Phaneuf and Martinez will be UFAs. So that's a two-three year window for the team to compete, and by that time, some of the kids in the pipeline should have graduated to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad