Confirmed with Link: Drew Doughty signs 8-year, 11 million AAV extension

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think it’ll be 8 years at 12.5. Making Doughty the first King to get a 100 million dollar contract.
I think the cap hit will be between $11M and $11.75M.
I could definitely see it being as high as 12.5M/100M. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Somewhere between 11M-12.5M is my guess. Hoping for something below 11M.

Can't expect a guy to take an $8-16m discount.
For sure can't expect it, but I am hoping for it.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Revenues increase, the cap ceiling goes up, ergo salaries go up. That magic number of $10M is going to be surpassed. Look at the counterparts in other sports. NHL players are well behind the salary scale of NFL, NBA, and MLB. Then again, those leagues do generate far greater revenue than the NHL.

And a guy like Drew in the open market can get more than $11M per year. You look at a team like Toronto and Edmonton, they'd would give him a ridiculous offer to sign on board. Imagine the Ducks going all out to sign Drew, or the Stars. These are teams who lack a defenseman of Drew's caliber, and they know he's the type of player who makes the four other skaters on the ice better.

Fortunately, the team doesn't have many holes that need to be filled with costly additions. By 2020, they'll have to address some significant UFAs with Toffoli, Lewis, Clifford, Muzzin and Forbort all having their contracts expire. The following year, Kovalchuk, Pearson, Phaneuf and Martinez will be UFAs. So that's a two-three year window for the team to compete, and by that time, some of the kids in the pipeline should have graduated to the NHL.

This feels like a good view of the situation to me. Roll with what you have now, and let the numbers take care of themselves down the road.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Revenues increase, the cap ceiling goes up, ergo salaries go up. That magic number of $10M is going to be surpassed. Look at the counterparts in other sports. NHL players are well behind the salary scale of NFL, NBA, and MLB. Then again, those leagues do generate far greater revenue than the NHL.

And a guy like Drew in the open market can get more than $11M per year. You look at a team like Toronto and Edmonton, they'd would give him a ridiculous offer to sign on board. Imagine the Ducks going all out to sign Drew, or the Stars. These are teams who lack a defenseman of Drew's caliber, and they know he's the type of player who makes the four other skaters on the ice better.

Fortunately, the team doesn't have many holes that need to be filled with costly additions. By 2020, they'll have to address some significant UFAs with Toffoli, Lewis, Clifford, Muzzin and Forbort all having their contracts expire. The following year, Kovalchuk, Pearson, Phaneuf and Martinez will be UFAs. So that's a two-three year window for the team to compete, and by that time, some of the kids in the pipeline should have graduated to the NHL.
How much was Gretzky making as a King?How much would he be worth today as a UFA?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
surprised to hear "shy of" 11M, seemed like the logical amount

doesn't really sting so badly seeing how much the cap went up, hope he stays healthy

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
How much was Gretzky making as a King?How much would he be worth today as a UFA?

Max contract is $15.9m. If prime Gretzky was a UFA right now he'd be making 15.9. Several teams have that much cap space and you don't care if it'll make it harder to sign an RFA or 2 in the next couple years because none of them are Gretzky.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Less than I expected. Was expecting $12 million a year. It'll be interesting to see what Karlsson signs for. Sounding like it'll be in Vegas. No state tax there either.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Once they front-load and work out the signing bonuses, he'll be perfectly happy
oh definitely. hard to complain.

really pleased to see the veteran presence locked up on this team, we've got 3 years under contract of kopi, carter, kovalchuk, brown, doughty, phaneuf, and quick and we're still technically under cap. might have to be a bit lean '19-20 depending on cap movement/trades but sounds like some young players will be ready at the same time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad