News Article: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I love Marner but for 4 first rounders, I'd take that in a heart beat. Four high end players that would probably be in the NHL within 2 years of their draft. It would go a long way in giving relief for our cap problems.

Lets say Marner walks this year, we get four first rounders and then we have the option to play in the UFA market. Dregger reported yesterday that the 2015 Panarin sweepstakes came down to Chicago, Toronto and Montreal. Lets assume that is true for a second, this team is MUCH more attractive today than it was 3 years ago. One would have to think Panarin would give us an honest look again.

Say we sign Panarin for the money Mitch is asking for, I've seen reports that Panarin will ask for, Tavares like money and term... Panarin is a LW, we are horribly under skilled at the LW position. So we improve our LW, we get 4 high end first rounders, we get no drop in production, we get cap relief... ummm ...

Per Game
PlayerGAPTSS
Mitch Marner0.290.630.922.44
Artemi Panarin0.370.6312.59
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Do we lose a lot in terms of production if we lose Marner and get Panarin + 4 first rounders? Nope, it would actually be a wash, probably a gain because of the four first rounders.

Again I love Mitch's game but the possibility of gaining 4 first rounders for almost nothing is really intriguing to me.

Reactions: 4thline and GBLeaf

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Marner wants 10+ go ahead and sign the offer sheet, I'll take the 4 1st round picks.

It is likely that any team that can offer him that kind of money is in the bottom half of the league.

Not to mention they need to have the cap space to do it. many teams are up against the cap wall and they have to have their 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 first rounders. We've seen what can happen when you dump your first rounders for a high scoring winger (Kessel), it's a huge risk for a team to lose their next 4 first rounders

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I love Marner but for 4 first rounders, I'd take that in a heart beat. Four high end players that would probably be in the NHL within 2 years of their draft. It would go a long way in giving relief for our cap problems.

Lets say Marner walks this year, we get four first rounders and then we have the option to play in the UFA market. Dregger reported yesterday that the 2015 Panarin sweepstakes came down to Chicago, Toronto and Montreal. Lets assume that is true for a second, this team is MUCH more attractive today than it was 3 years ago. One would have to think Panarin would give us an honest look again.

Say we sign Panarin for the money Mitch is asking for, I've seen reports that Panarin will ask for, Tavares like money and term... Panarin is a LW, we are horribly under skilled at the LW position. So we improve our LW, we get 4 high end first rounders, we get no drop in production, we get cap relief... ummm ...

Per Game
PlayerGAPTSS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Do we lose a lot in terms of production if we lose Marner and get Panarin + 4 first rounders? Nope, it would actually be a wash, probably a gain because of the four first rounders.

Again I love Mitch's game but the possibility of gaining 4 first rounders for almost nothing is really intriguing to me.

Bang on.

The heartache of losing a hometown hero would suck. But if we won the Paranin sweepstakes, it'd be 1 contract for possibly his best years, and 4 1st round picks on top of that?

Hello dynasty.

Reactions: PromisedLand

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
DySa6CuUUAA2Z3s

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner produced with Bozak and JVR so that has nothing to do with it. It just shows that he can produce way more with better players.

Realistically who can afford to send him an offer sheet of 10+ mil? New Jersey? Carolina? (Gotta give Aho a big raise)

A lot of these teams with the cap space got their own RFAs they gotta give big raises too. I think the one team that could possibly do it is the New York Islanders and they might do it. Wouldn't you if you were them? Get fired from here and lose your franchise player to us in one summer.

I just wanna know why other RFAs like Laine, Aho, Rantanen and etc don't get mentioned when it comes to teams threatening with offer sheets. Probably Dreger just spewing some nonsense because he's bored and had nothing to talk about. Winnipeg will be screwed if someone offer sheets Laine and I don't know why they never really bring this up. They have Laine, Connor and Trouba as RFAs next season and not that much cap space to work with. Seems like they wanna get rid of Trouba possibly but those other 2 are gonna get pretty big raises.

I hear them talking about OS to others all the time. Although Laine might be playing himself into a low AAV bridge.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Bang on.

The heartache of losing a hometown hero would suck. But if we won the Paranin sweepstakes, it'd be 1 contract for possibly his best years, and 4 1st round picks on top of that?

Hello dynasty.

Just to be the devils advocate, imagine for a second its Boston that signs him to a big contract and they win the next 3 Stanley Cups. How are we now feeling about letting him go?

Reactions: EN4CER

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Typical Dreger crap.. He throws out this kind of nonsense all the time to pretend he is relevant... The agents use him like a lap dog to get this kind of crap out there so their clients value grows...

Break a trade or two and earn the title "Insider " -what a joke

He’s lying? Not one person (team) told him they would prepare an OS if Marner became available?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You know what I love Mitch on the leafs but all this offersheet talk is starting to tick me off.

If for some reason a reasonable deal cannot be done with Mitch; I’ll gladly accept the 4 first rounders and cap room

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Per Game
PlayerGAPTSS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I also forgot to mention that Matthews is reportedly looking for a 5 year deal, that would bring him into UFA status or really close to (I think), to have 8 first rounders (our 4 plus the evil teams 4) in the next four years, would go a long way towards mitigating any possible / potential Matthews UFA loss in 5 years.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
yep, offersheets will suddenly become a thing again coincidentally at the exact time the leafs have good RFA.

and it's only the leafs. nobody is oversheeting Point or Ranatanen.

definitely 100% believable stuff from dreger.

Seriously f*** dreger. Point and Rantanen arguably have more impact on their team than Mitch on Leafs but yea only Mitch is up for offersheets f***ing JOKE

f*** you dreger you pos

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
yep, offersheets will suddenly become a thing again coincidentally at the exact time the leafs have good RFA.

and it's only the leafs. nobody is oversheeting Point or Ranatanen.

definitely 100% believable stuff from dreger.

I hear them talking about OS to teams with tight caps. Granted I only listen to the Fan590, TSN 1050.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
This is clearly tampering. Leafs should start tampering too.

Use our money to destroy those small market teams.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
More concern bait from the over saturated sports media desperate for your attention. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Did Dreger talk to Marner’s father? Even though money is the number one factor, but would Matthews sign in Toronto if he was confident Marner was bailing?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Reactions: PromisedLand

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You know what I love Mitch on the leafs but all this offersheet talk is starting to tick me off.

If for some reason a reasonable deal cannot be done with Mitch; I’ll gladly accept the 4 first rounders and cap room

Why not keep Mitch and let Matthews out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad