News Article: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwarrior

Aug 28, 2010
Now don't get me wrong, I know that a player has to sign the offer sheet in order for it to be of concern. My thoughts here is this is just fuel for the Marner camp that will drive up Marner's (and other RFAs) price tag.

Here is the quote from Dreger. "I can tell you, with certainty, that teams are 100 percent preparing an offer sheet for Mitch Marner,"

The irony is that I always thought more GMs need to use the offer sheet, (especially us in the dog days) now it looks like we have a few targets on our team.

Sorry if repost,

Source:
Report: Teams preparing offer sheet for Leafs' Marner
Report: Teams preparing offer sheet for Leafs' Marner

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
That would be a bold move for him, I'm not sure he would actually ever sign one. If the Leafs were ever put into a situation where they'd have to let him go he would instantly become the most hated person in Toronto in history. For a couple million more to go play for a team like Detroit just wouldn't be worth it. Imo he would rather play in Toronto for 9-10 million than else where for 12, I could be wrong though.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Not sure which one it was on OD yesterday but one of them said he should be careful because if he signs one, there is the posibility that the Leafs decline the match and take the picks. He could find himself on a team that isn't very good and missing 4, 1st round picks.
If that happened, I'd laugh.

nwarrior

Aug 28, 2010
Not sure which one it was on OD yesterday but one of them said he should be careful because if he signs one, there is the posibility that the Leafs decline the match and take the picks. He could find himself on a team that isn't very good and missing 4, 1st round picks.
If that happened, I'd laugh.
I would hate to see him go, but there is a point where you'd have to let him walk. He has absolutely had an amazing year but I can't help wonder how much of it is due to the Tavares effect.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I would hate to see him go, but there is a point where you'd have to let him walk. He has absolutely had an amazing year but I can't help wonder how much of it is due to the Tavares effect.
I doubt Tavares has much to do with it. He played the last 2/3 or so of the season hot like this as well. He's just a really good player. I think he has Hart potential.

Anyway, let's just see how this summer plays out. I'll believe fearmongers when I see it.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Well worst case would be a team that looks like a legit top contender for the next 4-5 years offersheeting him, suggesting it'd probably be four 1sts in the 20-30 range.

Generally speaking though, teams with the capspace to do a ~12M offersheet are bubble teams or worse. Which should make them hesitate, and which at least gets us better value if we opt not to match.

Regardless, hopefully all this stuff is sorted out before July. Marner seems like he genuinely wants to stay too, I'd be surprised if he signed an offersheet.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Marner produced with Bozak and JVR so that has nothing to do with it. It just shows that he can produce way more with better players.

Realistically who can afford to send him an offer sheet of 10+ mil? New Jersey? Carolina? (Gotta give Aho a big raise)

A lot of these teams with the cap space got their own RFAs they gotta give big raises too. I think the one team that could possibly do it is the New York Islanders and they might do it. Wouldn't you if you were them? Get fired from here and lose your franchise player to us in one summer.

I just wanna know why other RFAs like Laine, Aho, Rantanen and etc don't get mentioned when it comes to teams threatening with offer sheets. Probably Dreger just spewing some nonsense because he's bored and had nothing to talk about. Winnipeg will be screwed if someone offer sheets Laine and I don't know why they never really bring this up. They have Laine, Connor and Trouba as RFAs next season and not that much cap space to work with. Seems like they wanna get rid of Trouba possibly but those other 2 are gonna get pretty big raises.

Reactions: EN4CER

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Marner produced with Bozak and JVR so that has nothing to do with it. It just shows that he can produce way more with better players.

Realistically who can afford to send him an offer sheet of 10+ mil? New Jersey? Carolina? (Gotta give Aho a big raise)

A lot of these teams with the cap space got their own RFAs they gotta give big raises too. I think the one team that could possibly do it is the New York Islanders and they might do it. Wouldn't you if you were them? Get fired from here and lose your franchise player to us in one summer.

I just wanna know why other RFAs like Laine, Aho, Rantanen and etc don't get mentioned when it comes to teams threatening with offer sheets. Probably Dreger just spewing some nonsense because he's bored and had nothing to talk about. Winnipeg will be screwed if someone offer sheets Laine and I don't know why they never really bring this up. They have Laine, Connor and Trouba as RFAs next season and not that much cap space to work with. Seems like they wanna get rid of Trouba possibly but those other 2 are gonna get pretty big raises.

Also, I doubt people would offer sheet a winger to build around for that kinda money.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Someone should ask Dreger when was the last time an offer sheet was successful.

The end.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If some one offers him 11 or 3ven higher, I let him walk and take the picks. Only way I'd be ok with that if we won the cup this year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
As I said in my thread (inspired by this topic on the main board), if we budget fair money (9+ million) and he tries to leverage us for more then let him go, take the picks, and spend that 9 million elsewhere. We'd still be in a great spot

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Typical Dreger crap.. He throws out this kind of nonsense all the time to pretend he is relevant... The agents use him like a lap dog to get this kind of crap out there so their clients value grows...

Break a trade or two and earn the title "Insider " -what a joke

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
All this offer sheet hysteria is just dumb.

It's not the top guys you worry about getting offer sheeted, it's guys like Kappy and Johnsson that become offer sheet targets if it even does happen.

Depends, if we hit July 1 with all of Matthews/Kappy/AJ locked up and a finite budget for Marner another team could try and poach

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
If either one of Matthews or Marner sign an offer sheet with another team take the compensation and let them go.

As good as both of them are if they put pen to paper on an agreement with a team other than the Toronto Maple Leafs, then they simply don't deserve to wear our colours.

It would be a big blow on the off chance it does happen, but there's only so much pride you can swallow. Take the picks, the free $10m+ in cap space and go hard in free agency.

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I mean we could loose him as unlikely as it is. But doesn't that open the door for someone like panarin?
Like at the end of the day, we either keep our star player. Or we loose him get 4 1st round picks, go after other ufas and make some solid trades.

Reactions: stickty111 and ER89

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Someone should ask Dreger when was the last time an offer sheet was successful.

The end.

Define success? In this scenario, if a team can force the Leafs to pay 11+ million while creating animosity, shrinking, perhaps worse, closing their window to win, would be considered success.

Reactions: CDN24

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I do think this is a real possibility moving forward. As you see the old boys club starting to dwindle, these new GM's will not have the same fear of giving out offer sheets. And really they should be doing it. Until the stupid NHL changes their cap system, this could be a reality that teams with no attendance like Carolina and Florida can take advantage of the system. And teams that draft and develop well will be punished so we can keep these dying franchises alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad