News Article: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Two words.

Shut up.

So sick of all this nonsense. Been forcing myself to listen to US Sports shows because of this s**t

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lets break this down:

12M x 7yrs = 84million in earnings in 7 years

Leafs offer marner for 10Mx6 = 60M in 6 years

then re-up his contract at say 15 to 18 AAV

That means in the next 7 years Marner's earnings could be between

75M to 78M if he signs with the Leafs

84M - 78M = 6M loss in salary for Mitch from his contract signing

Are you telling me that Mitch cannot make up that 6M in commercials and sponsorship in 7 years if he is a Leaf?

Do you think Mitch gets as much additional revenue if he is not a Leaf?

Do you think that GMs around the league are going to increase the RFA market like this and not expect to have other RFAs use that as comparables?

come on man

Seems like a lot of work to make up 7 million dollars.

Not saying he wouldn’t do it, but if he ever gets married and has a child that’s more time away from his family.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
All this tells me is that Marner, Matthews and Nylander before them, are the best players NHL. If all those teams are preparing OS's only for them, (like the media would have us believe) the rest of the RFAs and anyone else who wasnt OS'ed in previous years are obviously inferior to our 3 young superstars.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
hypothetically which teams could offersheet him and who do they have coming up that we could offersheet him back for revenge?

The biggest flaw behind any revenge strategy is the team making the offersheet has to have both the Cap space on their own team to accommodate it and their own draft pick compensation to surrender in case its not matched.

Would a team like Toronto be in a position where both the above would apply, particularly if they matched any OS now?.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I love how so many posters assume only a bottom feeder could sign him.
1) It will be the off season, so you can +10% of the cap and have a lot of time to make moves
2) It's really not hard to free up 10mil if you are adding Marner for "free"

If he even signed an offer sheet I'm changing my name to little boy puke Marner :sarcasm:
.....or is it.....

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
People worry wayyy too much about stuff like this. Ultimately it would be bigger loss to Marner then it would be to the Leafs. Leafs would clear a huge amount of cap space that they could use elsewhere and additionally gain 4 1st picks. Mitch on the other hand if he went elsewhere, in all likelyhood, would be going to a team that at best was average and not contendors. Staying with his hometown team and having a chance to legitimately compete for the cup for the next 5-6 years should be enticing enough for him to accept a reasonable offer to stay with the Leafs.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Pretty much everyone knew it was possible.

and there is also no doubt some teams are considering it, but not one of those teams are actively preparing an offersheet, which is what this idiot is saying.

How it works though is this, once the pre July 1 talk sessions open, the agent is free to listen to what teams have to say and then pass that onto the player, if Marner let's say, has no interest in playing ina place like Arizona, but the owner and GM have already put all this work into preparing the sheet, then what it amounts to is a monumental waste of time. NHL team execs are too busy with the daily sturm and drang of running the team and therefore nobody is wasting any time of "preparing an offer sheet," especially when they have zero idea whether Marner would even play in their city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad