TSN: Dreger speaks about Liljegrin on "First Up" this morning

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I did not listen to the interview, but I assume this could be constructed as the Leafs would have offered Liljegren straight up, or a whole different package, as the one they eventually got Muzzin for.

I can see that.

Good point.

Indirectly would have been Muzzin, 1st and Durzi for Liljegren + ?? if you look at it that way.

Dreger and Friedman are trying to use Lil's involvement in this rumor to downgrade his game instead. I think they're wrong and just looking for a story.

Reactions: kb

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Liljegren had a bad injury and took a while to recover but was otherwise a solid top pairing guy in the AHL as a 19 year old most of the year.

Probably makes the big club next year with Gards gone and especially if Hainsey goes.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I will always take the chance on D (especially RHD) over the winger.
I didn't like losing Grundy, but D is much more valuable. There are very few wingers anywhere you can't replace.

exactly.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
you guys may hate this, take it for what it is, but Elliot freedman has said the same thing, the kings preferred durzi to lily.

i think dreger is a puppet for so many people and brings a bad name to alot of legit journalists, but its not like dreger is the only one to report it.

'5. Los Angeles and Toronto sparred over 2019 first-rounder Rasmus Sandin. The Maple Leafs told anyone who asked they did not want to include him, and held firm. They did, however, remain Muzzin’s most consistent and aggressive pursuer. Montreal and Tampa Bay were in the picture at times, with the Canadiens trying to get him in the aborted Pacioretty deal. I was initially surprised that Timothy Liljegren wasn’t included. But, after looking deeper, teams are down on him right now. He’s not yet 20 — way too soon to give up — but several scouts were not surprised the Kings chose OHL Guelph’s Sean Durzi over Liljegren.'

31 Thoughts: Three key decisions holding up NHL trade deadline dominos - Sportsnet.ca

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
you guys may hate this, take it for what it is, but Elliot freedman has said the same thing, the kings preferred durzi to lily.

i think dreger is a puppet for so many people and brings a bad name to alot of legit journalists, but its not like dreger is the only one to report it.

'5. Los Angeles and Toronto sparred over 2019 first-rounder Rasmus Sandin. The Maple Leafs told anyone who asked they did not want to include him, and held firm. They did, however, remain Muzzin’s most consistent and aggressive pursuer. Montreal and Tampa Bay were in the picture at times, with the Canadiens trying to get him in the aborted Pacioretty deal. I was initially surprised that Timothy Liljegren wasn’t included. But, after looking deeper, teams are down on him right now. He’s not yet 20 — way too soon to give up — but several scouts were not surprised the Kings chose OHL Guelph’s Sean Durzi over Liljegren.'

31 Thoughts: Three key decisions holding up NHL trade deadline dominos - Sportsnet.ca
Friedman and Dreger are not reliable. The way Durzi's season went, and how well Lilly is playing, both of them are wrong.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No point in speculating on trade options as nobody knows. The only thing we know is Kings AHL scouts were all over Marlie games for well over a month. So my thinking is there were ongoing discussions over a prolonged period of time before trade was announced. Lilly was injured so it is entirely possible because they did not really see him they would not want him. But again no point in speculating. If you really want to know ask either GM. The other thing I know is that Muzzy's wife wanted him closer to home and her family as her baby was coming. They have a nice home in Woodstock. LA is way too far away. And lastly there is a very good chance Muzzy stays rest of his career with Leafs and it won't be all about the $$$ with this guy.

This I really like to hear.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I can agree with the value premise of your argument but the very notion that the leafs would move their top RHD prospect first when the depth level there is so poor is a bit crazy to me.
And that's why you scrutinize things you hear with how you see thing. If they line up, great. If not, call bull shit.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If Liljegren was Canadian he'd still be playing junior. Playing in the AHL as a teenager has tanked his stock due to people's ignorance of how uncommon that is. People are trying to compare him to a guy like Dermott who was 2 years older in his AHL seasons.
Wasn't Dermott 19 his first AHL season?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Legit playing like an absolute 2 way stud (at the AHL level) at 19.

Has honestly looked like the best D in the games i saw. Keefe literally goes out of his way to bring him up.

Stud pick.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Good point.

Indirectly would have been Muzzin, 1st and Durzi for Liljegren + ?? if you look at it that way.

Dreger and Friedman are trying to use Lil's involvement in this rumor to downgrade his game instead. I think they're wrong and just looking for a story.
dreger should have watched game 4 against Cleveland
the lad was outstanding

Reactions: Havoc

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The complete opposite was mentioned at the time of the trade which is why they included a more skilled young forward vs a throw in forward.

Not true. Friedman actually said something kinda similar to this shortly after the trade deadline and that teams were a bit a down on Liljegren at the time. Its possible that Friedman is Dregers source for this, but Dreger saying this now isnt the first time somehing similar was mentioned after the trade deadline

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Not true. Friedman actually said something kinda similar to this shortly after the trade deadline and that teams were a bit a down on Liljegren at the time. Its possible that Friedman is Dregers source for this, but Dreger saying this now isnt the first time somehing similar was mentioned after the trade deadline

Keefe went out of his way today to praise Liljegren's development this season. He says he initially struggled in the first part of the season (coinciding with the Muzzin trade time period). So this is when Friedman and Dreger got their info, but ever since then Liljegren has stepped up to a whole new level and I'm sure the Leafs are glad they didn't do that trade.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/keefe-liljegren-has-taken-a-large-step-defensively-1.1302758

Starts at 8:00 mark.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He was a late birthday, turned 20 in December. I called it two in terms of hockey seasons. Score it how you like.
I guess the way to look at it, one year in OHL then AHL after draft so a year behind. Not trying to diminish Lil but it's not like Dermott was some old man.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Keefe went out of his way today to praise Liljegren's development this season. He says he initially struggled in the first part of the season (coinciding with the Muzzin trade time period). So this is when Friedman and Dreger got their info, but ever since then Liljegren has stepped up to a whole new level and I'm sure the Leafs are glad they didn't do that trade.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/keefe-liljegren-has-taken-a-large-step-defensively-1.1302758

Starts at 8:00 mark.
Really like what Keefe said agreed with it all. It’s definitely worth a listen if you haven’t already.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

The kings drafting has not been great at all. Not liking Lilly is no surprise. We have a very good prospect on our hands. His value is going up game by game.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad