TSN: Dreger speaks about Liljegrin on "First Up" this morning

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I did not listen to the interview, but I assume this could be constructed as the Leafs would have offered Liljegren straight up, or a whole different package, as the one they eventually got Muzzin for.

I can see that.

That is my take as well ... Liljegren instead of one of the other assets exchanged..

Any speculation is possible like Lil instead for the 1st round pick and offering a lower pick or Lil instead of both Grundstrom and Durzi etc.

Dubas might have tried Lil (former 1st) + 2nd for Muzz and it ended up differently.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I heard it and i thought it was just another ridiculous, unfounded hot-take sour grapes remark from Dreger.

It was in response to a question about whether the Leafs future looked brighter than a few weeks ago due to how well the Marlies were doing. Dreger also mentioned he hadn't been watching them but didn't see anyone coming up to crack the lineup next year and helping.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Liljegren has been great... I'm sure Dubas isn't unhappy with his choice.

Dubas has said on record that they were extremely happy with his development and if not for his injury he'd have been a possible call up consideration

The talking heads have been putting Liljegren down and making stories about supposed lack of belief inside the organization for a good year now.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No point in speculating on trade options as nobody knows. The only thing we know is Kings AHL scouts were all over Marlie games for well over a month. So my thinking is there were ongoing discussions over a prolonged period of time before trade was announced. Lilly was injured so it is entirely possible because they did not really see him they would not want him. But again no point in speculating. If you really want to know ask either GM. The other thing I know is that Muzzy's wife wanted him closer to home and her family as her baby was coming. They have a nice home in Woodstock. LA is way too far away. And lastly there is a very good chance Muzzy stays rest of his career with Leafs and it won't be all about the $$$ with this guy.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I heard it and i thought it was just another ridiculous, unfounded hot-take sour grapes remark from Dreger.

It was in response to a question about whether the Leafs future looked brighter than a few weeks ago due to how well the Marlies were doing. Dreger also mentioned he hadn't been watching them but didn't see anyone coming up to crack the lineup next year and helping.
Dreger is a dumb *ss. If you rely on a guy like this then god help you. A complete hockey no mind.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Depends what he is replacing. Wouldn't surprise me if the Leafs would have rather kept the 1st AND Grundstrom or even Grundstrom and downgrading the pick if it meant moving Lily

Leafs are bringing over Korshkov and now Mikheyev who are big bodies like Grundstrom. Korshkov was a given but if the Leafs has an idea that they had a good chance at Mikheyev back in March, I can see them feeling that they can afford to trade Grundstrom. Even if that weren’t the case, I don’t think the organization would’ve been keen on trading our best RD prospect, especially when that’s the position we’re most thin at.

Reactions: teddygmr

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Yeah ok there Dregs. Stick to discussing what you actually know, whatever that is.

Reactions: kb and teddygmr

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
I can't stand Dreger, anything he says is suspect. Last week him and Gord Miller were exchanging verbal diarrhea on Leafs Lunch and I caught myself wishing Andi was back!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If Liljegren was Canadian he'd still be playing junior. Playing in the AHL as a teenager has tanked his stock due to people's ignorance of how uncommon that is. People are trying to compare him to a guy like Dermott who was 2 years older in his AHL seasons.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If Liljegren was Canadian he'd still be playing junior. Playing in the AHL as a teenager has tanked his stock due to people's ignorance of how uncommon that is.
Very true, I also don't think his high pre-draft ranking or offensive defenseman billing helps his perception at all.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
If they rather would've given Liljegren then why didn't they? We were told they negotiated this deal for quite a period of time. Almost a month or two I believe.

I feel the Kings wanted Sandin/Lil but Dubas said no consistently and then Blake who really wanted something for Muzzin pulled the trigger on Durzi & Grundström (a little sweetener on top of Durzi).

Hope we can re-sign Muzz to a decent deal. Need him badly.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I've only watched a handful of Marlies games in my life, and none when Stralman played but Liljegren's play and everything that is said about him is eerily similar to that of Stralman when he started out. Both were drafted as Offensive D-men and both struggle(d) to produce. Liljegren more so but a Stralman type of player is exactly what this team needs.

Reactions: Matthews34 and JEI

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Dreger is cousins with all time leaf great Dave “swing for the fences” Nonis.

Time and time again he’s tried to defend nonis in the media claiming that “his finger prints aren’t all over this organization”

He’s anti leaf because everyone sh*ts on his cousin lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Logic seems to indicate the Leafs would have preferred keeping Liljegren and offer up a quantity package instead. Which is what they did. Liljegren is younger than Makar and has been developing in the AHL for 2 years. Why would they have preferred the package? The first rounder will be missed but there’s so much wing depth beyond Grundstrom, and Durzi ain’t Liljegren.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Liljegren has been great in the playoffs, he's been super impressive! Really happy the Leafs managed to keep him. It'll be fun to watch him play the rest of the playoffs on the top pairing and contend for a spot out of camp next season. Most likely he'll be back with the Marlies next season but he isn't far off being a Leaf. Crazy to think he's already won a Calder cup and playing top pairing minutes on the Marlies this playoff and he only just turned 20. He's been developing at such a good pace.

My biggest criticism of him was his skating stride but it's looking much better, especially following an ankle sprain. Still room for improvement there though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Liljegren has been great in the playoffs, he's been super impressive! Really happy the Leafs managed to keep him. It'll be fun to watch him play the rest of the playoffs on the top pairing and contend for a spot out of camp next season. Most likely he'll be back with the Marlies next season but he isn't far off being a Leaf. Crazy to think he's already won a Calder cup and playing top pairing minutes on the Marlies this playoff and he only just turned 20. He's been developing at such a good pace.

My biggest criticism of him was his skating stride but it's looking much better, especially following an ankle sprain. Still room for improvement there though.

Kind of weird how he went from having elite skating in his pre draft to being an awkward skater post draft. Always wondered about that discrepancy in scouting reports.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Kind of weird how he went from having elite skating in his pre draft to being an awkward skater post draft. Always wondered about that discrepancy in scouting reports.

I mean, it’s just my opinion. He has some really good aspects of his skating (like his lateral movement) but his “pitch fork” style skating at times is more sideways momentum then what is ideal but he’s really improved it. He has real good edges though. Keefe is a huge fan and I think drafting him is really gonna pay off sooner rather than later. We’re really lucky to have him and Sandin (as well as other intriguing D-man as well) in the pipeline looking like legit strong prospects.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I listened to this. I didn't get the impression that Dreger knows anything about the Marlies other than that Keefe is coveted as a future coach. It was clear he was rambling to come up with something to answer the question.

Dreger had a lot of "ahhhhs" this morning.
Landesberg tried to lead him to the hot take, and he wouldn't bite
Not that I think Dreger was right.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I would love he or Coburn as a steadying influence. I just probably wouldn't like their term.
I would love Stralman to come in and mentor Liljegren next year. I see similar players in the two of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad