TSN: Dreger speaks about Liljegrin on "First Up" this morning

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hot take alert.

Dreger this morning was asked who on the Marlies might take a step next season and play for the leafs

"Toronto would have preferred to use Liljegren in the Jake Muzzin trade."

I don't know. Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for the guy.

Is he still a little young and raw or is he better than Dreger is implying?

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lay this one to rest. There was a previous thread and I told you guys Eric one of LA's AHL scouts told me they did not want Lily. This is very very old news. Dreger bringing up stuff that is yesterdays news. And Lilly will be fine all he needs is a year or two of more development on the smaller ice.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hot take alert.

Dreger this morning was asked who on the Marlies might take a step next season and play for the leafs

"Toronto would have preferred to use Liljegrin in the Jake Muzzin trade."

We can all speculate.

Toronto still gave up good assets for Muzzin.

Someone had to go the other way, it doesn't mean they don't think highly of the players involved, and perhaps Grundstrom was considered important because of the lack of that type of player in the system.

Perhaps they wanted to give up fewer assets ... besides Dubas and Blake who really knows.

It isn't a slight against anyone.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Hot take alert.

How about you spell Liljegren's name right?

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Depends what he is replacing. Wouldn't surprise me if the Leafs would have rather kept the 1st AND Grundstrom or even Grundstrom and downgrading the pick if it meant moving Lily

Reactions: Buds17

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I did not listen to the interview, but I assume this could be constructed as the Leafs would have offered Liljegren straight up, or a whole different package, as the one they eventually got Muzzin for.

I can see that.

Reactions: Menzinger

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We can all speculate.

Toronto still gave up good assets for Muzzin.

Someone had to go the other way, it doesn't mean they don't think highly of the players involved, and perhaps Grundstrom was considered important because of the lack of that type of player in the system.

Perhaps they wanted to give up fewer assets ... besides Dubas and Blake who really knows.

It isn't a slight against anyone.

I agree. I am happy with Muzzin. I think he has the potential to be a big part of next season's success (perhaps the leafs win a playoff series).

It's ok though. I sort of posted this topic because I was shocked to hear that about Lil. Sometimes drafted players don't work out. Kadri was a let down, Schenn clearly wasn't worth trading up for, Biggs, etc. It happens. Some of the people posting in this thread are contributing to the criticism of Lil. Some of the defensiveness in this thread speaks loudly too.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Hot take alert.

Doesn't make sense to me unless they were looking to make a blockbuster trade for a real good RHD as well. Could Dubas have rated Durzi higher? I doubt it.

Reactions: kb

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I will always take the chance on D (especially RHD) over the winger.
I didn't like losing Grundy, but D is much more valuable. There are very few wingers anywhere you can't replace.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Grundstrom has already appeared in the NHL with LA. Maybe he was deemed NHL ready sooner (he is a year older). Maybe he addresses more of a need. It was probably tough for Dubas to trade him away as I believe he would have soon fit in well here. However, the Leafs weren't a tomorrow team like LA was by that point this season.

Liljegren is still Leaf property until/unless he no longer is. This doesn't necessarily indicate they were adamant on moving him.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Did he say who they would've preferred to keep had they included Liljegren? Perhaps, they wanted to trade him instead of the 1st + Durzi or Grundstrom + the 1st for instance. Either way, that doesn't sound good for Liljegren. It also would have made very little sense for Toronto. Their RHD depth is bare and he's the crown jewel. He's looked very solid in the playoffs. If he dominates next year as predicted that will look like a very short sighted proposal on Dubas part.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I would not have been a happy man to see that cross the ticker.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
From what I can see Toronto should not consider moving him or Sandin. They both look fantastic this Marlie playoff run. I think Dreger is just looking for attention as he rarely gets any anymore in Leaf land as an “insider”.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I listened to this. I didn't get the impression that Dreger knows anything about the Marlies other than that Keefe is coveted as a future coach. It was clear he was rambling to come up with something to answer the question.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if the options were:

Liljegren

OR

Grunstrom + Durzi+ 1st.

I would have been okay with either, but I'm happy we still have Liljegren in our organization. Kid is going to be a solid NHLer IMO.

I find it funy that people think 20 year old Durzi had a more impressive season than 19 year old Liljegren.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if the options were:

Liljegren

OR

Grunstrom + Durzi+ 1st.

I would have been okay with either, but I'm happy we still have Liljegren in our organization. Kid is going to be a solid NHLer IMO.

I find it funy that people think 20 year old Durzi had a more impressive season than 19 year old Liljegren.

I can agree with the value premise of your argument but the very notion that the leafs would move their top RHD prospect first when the depth level there is so poor is a bit crazy to me.

Reactions: kb and MyBudJT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->