Rumor: Dreger on Team 1260 in Edmonton (Connolly)

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
if the Oilers are scouting us you'd have to think it's for a dman

my guess is Franson, they've always seemed to be interested in him.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
which forward moves?

Connolly.

I'm fine keeping Connolly around for a late season call-up in case of injury. Teams are desperate for depth. A player you may have regularly had for a 4th or 5th you now need to pony up more for. It's a seller's market for sure.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The Oilers actually need a 2nd line centre, but I'm not sure why they would think that Connolly would be the answer.

As for Horcoff, I wouldn't even remotely touch that contract. Another 2 years at 5.5 for a player whose best years are clearly behind him. If you think that Komisarek's contract is bad, then you won't like this one either.

I would welcome Nick Schultz any day of the week. He's just a steady defenceman that plays his role and the reason that you don't hear about him is because he doesn't put up the points.

I think that if they are getting Connolly, then its going to be a guy like Hordichuk that comes in. Someone that is on the lower end of the pay scale and is a free agent at the end of the year.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Connolly.

I'm fine keeping Connolly around for a late season call-up in case of injury. Teams are desperate for depth. A player you may have regularly had for a 4th or 5th you now need to pony up more for. It's a seller's market for sure.

last time i noticed ,connolly was not playing for the leafs.:nod:

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
if the Oilers are scouting us you'd have to think it's for a dman

my guess is Franson, they've always seemed to be interested in him.

franson is not moving , hes top 5 defence in the league, as of now.
for a 1st maybe:)

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
franson is not moving , hes top 5 defence in the league, as of now.
for a 1st maybe:)

At this point, no way. Edmonton might push into a playoff spot with the addition of Franson, and considering he's hot right now we just don't know where he'll land - top-4 mainstay or bottom pairing with some PP time?

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Since when does pacing for 50 pts equal 5 plus mil on a long term deal ? So 50 pt pace gets you 5 plus but ppg gets you only 6 plus , great logic .

So your justification for tossing around inflated contracts is the cap will probably go up ? Sad part is it doesn't matter what contract he was given because you'd be on here defending it regardless .

Maybe you should look around the league at what 50 point players are getting before crying about it on here. Lupul got paid accordingly. Look around at all the players(forwards) that usually get around a PPG, they make 6mil+. Lupul got a 1mil raise from his previous contract, how is it inflated?

Honestly all you ever do on here is ***** and moan, why bother coming here?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
We're talking 7M total salary for the remainder of Horcoff's contract (2 more seasons)..... It's a bad contract but it's almost done and the salary is minimal at this point. It's more economical for the Oiler's to buyout Horcoff themselves than "sell" a first rounder to the Leafs. Damien Cox suggested this years ago and the Oiler's ended up paying Souray 5M to eat chocolate in Hershey.

FYI, arena politics != lack of financial backing.

This scenario is a pipe dream.

Sorry I didn't realize that there's only 7M left to be paid in a buy-out scenario.

It's still a situation I think can be exploited. It's true all teams has amnesty buy-outs, but it's tough for most teams to just swallow 25M to just buy-out a player.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Connolly for Khabibulin+a pick or player/prospect. When summer rolls around you use the amnesty to buy him out of his last year. We get a useful backup and pick/player and get rid of a useless player buried in the minors. Time to use the financial advantage this organization has.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah that rumor makes no sense whatsoever. Leafs can just let Connolly's contract expire, why add a burdensome contract in exchange for that?

Could see some moves on defence when Gardiner and Gunnarsson are ready to step back into the lineup.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Maybe you should look around the league at what 50 point players are getting before crying about it on here. Lupul got paid accordingly. Look around at all the players(forwards) that usually get around a PPG, they make 6mil+. Lupul got a 1mil raise from his previous contract, how is it inflated?

In my best Elvis voice. "Thank you very much". :D

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
theyve been scouting us the last 3 games, so it must be someone in the lineup

i say mccarthur

A forward who isn't a center doesn't make sense to me. Leafs have little in that regard they would be willing to part with. D men seem to be in larger supply here.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

Whoa buddy, you should settle down. Someone asked the question how Edmonton could ever pay a guy like Horcoff that much money. It's not outlandish to suggest Lupul will fall back into his usual 40-50 point pace. It's a very real possibility.

Other players getting around $5-5.5m?

1. Loui Eriksson @ $4.25m until 2016
2. John Tavares @ $5.5m until 2018
3. Bobbie Ryan @ $5.1m untli 2015
4 Ryan Kesler @ $5.0m until 2016

All are younger except Kesler. All have scored more points in consecutive seasons. Didn't include the "cap circumventing" group of wingers in that price range. Or the guys like Evander Kane or Jaime Benn, who are both incredibly young and trending up. Also purposely left out the overpaid bums in that price range like Gionta and obviously Horcoff. In other words, suggesting $5 million is the going rate for 50 point players is pretty dumb.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
theyve been scouting us the last 3 games, so it must be someone in the lineup

i say mccarthur

CMac definitely should be available but the Oilers already got more then enough wingers who play best in a transition game.

My guess is Liles.

Liles fits best in a quick transition system. Carlyle wants to run more of a smash mouth cycle type system. Edmonton is more of a transitional team that would suit Liles better. Whitney (LD) was recently benched and according to Oilers fans look like he can barely skate.

With Dion moving to the left side we`ve got to may LD to fit into the lineup for now and the future.

Dion, Gunnar, Liles, Gardiner plus Rielly, Ranger and Finn. They`re is only so many minutes to go around.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
What if it was Ryan Whitney? He's been a scratch for like 3 of the past 5.

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
Whoa buddy, you should settle down. Someone asked the question how Edmonton could ever pay a guy like Horcoff that much money. It's not outlandish to suggest Lupul will fall back into his usual 40-50 point pace. It's a very real possibility.

All are younger except Kesler. All have scored more points in consecutive seasons. Didn't include the "cap circumventing" group of wingers in that price range. Or the guys like Evander Kane or Jaime Benn, who are both incredibly young and trending up. Also purposely left out the overpaid bums in that price range like Gionta and obviously Horcoff. In other words, suggesting $5 million is the going rate for 50 point players is pretty dumb.

All of those players you listed were RFA deals. People need to understand it is a huge huge difference.

Subban got what on an RFA deal... 2 years 4 mil? He gets 5 years 25 million easy as a pending UFA.

Once again... Kane and Benn signed RFA deals as well. Your theory here is completely flawed.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

1. He said Lupul got his contract because of 1 season and that it was inflated, clearly it's not.

2. Everyone you listed except Kesler were signed to RFA deals not UFA, pretty big difference.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
How did this become a Lupul vs Horcoff thread anyways lol

Horcoff is just awful, Lupul isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad