Rumor: Dreger on Team 1260 in Edmonton (Connolly)

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I can understand he will deny a worse contract but i don't know who JP Barry have as players but you need to take in consideration that if they screw up Connolly, not sure Barry will negociate a future player with the Leafs.

With all players up and down + waiver claim played for Toronto before Connolly, it's clear that Carlyle don't want him anymore so at least give the guy a chance to play somewhere else.

Connolly cleared NHL waivers, so that means every team passed on him (mainly his contract). The reason a team like Edmonton would have taken him in a trade is to dump one of their toxic contracts. Unfortunately, players are valued not only by their talent/age/potential, but by their cap hit. Eg. Luongo may be the best goalie in the world, but combine this with his advanced age and 10 year contract, his value is minimal at best. Bottomline, Connolly has been treated properly by the Leafs.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
You can say it's stupid, but they had eerily similar numbers until their breakout seasons that earned them ridiculous paydays.

If Lupul was being paid based off of last season alone then he would've gotten much more than 5.2mil. I still don't get why some people find that so hard to understand.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I can understand he will deny a worse contract but i don't know who JP Barry have as players but you need to take in consideration that if they screw up Connolly, not sure Barry will negociate a future player with the Leafs.

With all players up and down + waiver claim played for Toronto before Connolly, it's clear that Carlyle don't want him anymore so at least give the guy a chance to play somewhere else.

It's not up to the agent where the player goes.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
How Horcoff ever got 5.5 m is beyond me. Guy is a brick layer. Stone hands.

I'm a brick layer bud, and you need better hands then his to lay bricks. Bricks are easy too, stone is all about finesse, creativity and passion. All attributes that Horcoff does not have. Not to mention that brick layer are hard working and show up ready to work everyday with a lunch pale looking forward to getting dirty.....Horcoff not so much

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Connolly and Komisarek for Horcoff and Whitney

Connolly for Horcoff = nope
Komi for Whitney= nope don't want a soft often injuryed dman at this point

I would rather buy out Komi and let Connolly walk and use the cap space and roster spots on bringing up our own prospects Exactly like we are doing now. I hope the philosophy used by the team this year is not a fluke, and that this continues.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If Lupul was being paid based off of last season alone then he would've gotten much more than 5.2mil. I still don't get why some people find that so hard to understand.

5.2 over 5 years for a 29 year old who's had one excellent season is excessive .

Some people defend every ****ing signing like we're not operating under a cap . Maybe you can explain how we're going to continue to hand out these deals and then have cap space to resign Kadri/Frattin/Reims/Gards who's contracts expire this year or next .

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
5.2 over 5 years for a 29 year old who's had one excellent season is excessive .

Some people defend every ****ing signing like we're not operating under a cap . Maybe you can explain how we're going to continue to hand out these deals and then have cap space to resign Kadri/Frattin/Reims/Gards who's contracts expire this year or next .

He's paid like the 50 point player that he's always been on pace to produce. You don't pay PPG players 5.2mil, they get 6 and above.

You're also acting like the cap isn't going to go up again.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Funny that mess would advocate bring in a vet like Horcoff after being so adamantly against the Connolly signing and constantly whining about Liles.

I wonder why that is.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He's paid like the 50 point player that he's always been on pace to produce. You don't pay PPG players 5.2mil, they get 6 and above.

You're also acting like the cap isn't going to go up again.

Since when does pacing for 50 pts equal 5 plus mil on a long term deal ? So 50 pt pace gets you 5 plus but ppg gets you only 6 plus , great logic .

So your justification for tossing around inflated contracts is the cap will probably go up ? Sad part is it doesn't matter what contract he was given because you'd be on here defending it regardless .

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
A team like the Oilers might want to buy-out Horcoff but not have the financial backing to do so (especially with the new arena etc).

I think the Leafs should entertaining "selling" their amnesty buy-out.

So for example: Connolly for Horcoff + EDM 1st round pick.

They get out of an awful contract, we gain an asset.

12345*

Connolly for a 2nd or big third line prospect would be all I consider.

He is still valuable to our AHL team, which has been pillaged by TML lol. They still need to be competitive. We lost so many centers from the AHL team including Aucoin and Kadri. Can't afford to lose Connolly, not without getting something we want.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
A team like the Oilers might want to buy-out Horcoff but not have the financial backing to do so (especially with the new arena etc).

Intriguing idea. Using MLSE financial muscle to gain assets; I likey. Nonis: Go look for the best deal like this example out there....

Jooked

Feb 9, 2010

We're talking 7M total salary for the remainder of Horcoff's contract (2 more seasons)..... It's a bad contract but it's almost done and the salary is minimal at this point. It's more economical for the Oiler's to buyout Horcoff themselves than "sell" a first rounder to the Leafs. Damien Cox suggested this years ago and the Oiler's ended up paying Souray 5M to eat chocolate in Hershey.

FYI, arena politics != lack of financial backing.

This scenario is a pipe dream.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Connolly for a 2nd or big third line prospect would be all I consider.

He is still valuable to our AHL team, which has been pillaged by TML lol. They still need to be competitive. We lost so many centers from the AHL team including Aucoin and Kadri. Can't afford to lose Connolly, not without getting something we want.

At this point, Connolly is just an emergency call-up. I'm sure he is available to anyone willing to take on the rest of his salary. If Nonis can get any kind of draft pick in return, that would just be a bonus.

12345*

You guys talk about MLSE money as though its monopoly money. While the Leafs organization has free reign to spend to the cap and have in place the supplementary personnel, do you honestly believe MLSE is going to let you just buy out players to the tune of 10s of millions of dollars. There is freedom, but its still a business with shareholders - and they are looking to maximize profits, not burn them away.

EDDIE20*

we might need Horcoff's leadership if we make the playoffs. We could always trade for him and then buy him out in the off season.

I would do

Conolly + Extra Contract on the leafs (Steckel)

for

Horcoff + Arcobello

Horcoff has leadership? Really?

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
You guys talk about MLSE money as though its monopoly money. While the Leafs organization has free reign to spend to the cap and have in place the supplementary personnel, do you honestly believe MLSE is going to let you just buy out players to the tune of 10s of millions of dollars. There is freedom, but its still a business with shareholders - and they are looking to maximize profits, not burn them away.

I get what you are saying. But the premise here is about strictly a business deal. If it makes no sense, you don't do it. However there is an equation that might make sense to the board of MLSE. It would depend on where the draft pick is (or potentially is) and the dollars involved. Would you think $7M too much to pay for a top 10 draft pick as an example? The real trick is to find a trading partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad