TSN Radio Dreger: Jonathan Bernier could play himself onto 2014 Olympic team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
With all due respect, I'm shocked by such a comment. Not because I don't like Bernier or anything but because Crawford, Ward, Price, Reimer, Holtby, etc.. are all relatively young and more experienced.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I guess it's a good thing that I don't even remember who we traded to get Bernier.

I still think the job is Reimer's to lose. And by job I mean for the Leafs.

The Leafs went out and traded a solid player for a goalie they signed for more money than our current starter only for that goalie to ride the pine. Solid logic. I'd argue the Maple Leafs expect Bernier to steal the starting spot.

Funny how Frattin's value dropped like a rock according to you as well; The kid had shown flashes with Kadri but certain Leafs fans will pretend like they don't know who he is anymore.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The Leafs went out and traded a solid player for a goalie they signed for more money than our current starter only for that goalie to ride the pine. Solid logic. I'd argue the Maple Leafs expect Bernier to steal the starting spot.

Funny how Frattin's value dropped like a rock according to you as well; The kid had shown flashes with Kadri but certain Leafs fans will pretend like they don't know who he is anymore.

Really, steal the job or out play him for the starting job.

His contract was up, he was not going to play here for free. His stats supports the amount that he signed for and we gave him a two year term.
If Riemers contract was up this year he would have ask and received a very similar amount but likely higher and got it.

I'm fine with what we gave up to get Bernier and I would be willing to bet that we could get more back if we decided to trade him. Carlyle proved that he does not care about the players salary, his concern is to play the better player.

Who that is will be determined by their play and not their contract.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Well, that basically gives Bernier a few short months to first win the starter's job in Toronto and then earn his way onto Team Canada. Seems extremely unlikely, but he's still a better option than Fleury at least.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
"Powerful"

Lol

Doesn't he need an invitation? Wasn't he not on the original invite list?

Am I dreaming this?

He wasn't on the original invites list but I think it's been said that even if players weren't invited to camp, impressive regular season performances can win someone a spot. I think that the forwards and defense are most likely coming from that crop of invitees. If there's one position that someone can steal a spot, it could be the goalie position (though I don't think that's going to happen). Coaches like to go with the hot hand and if a goalie puts together a really solid first start with some great numbers and great performances, he could play his way onto the team.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Have you ever been happy with a move we have made?

Both players in the trade were redundant on our, but only 1 has the ability to win a game single handedly. And this comes from someone who liked Frattin a lot.

Try looking on the bright side of things, life will be easier.

wulfio*

Sums up the offseason on this board, good job guys.

PLAY THA KIDZZZZ!

Seriously i'm all for drafting and developing but there are just some ridiculous fans who get mad no matter what move is made. Seems like any signing or trade there are complaints and people who just want to promote within even if there's nothing there.

If we made no moves and only drafted our team of active players would look like this(a thread I created on the main board)

Tlusty-Kadri-Kulemin
Steen-Bozak-Frattin
Stalberg-Antropov-Boyes
Ponikarovsky-Komarov-Hayes

Gunnarsson-Schenn
Colaicovo-White
Kaberle-Stralman
Holzer

Rask
Reimer

Yes it doesn't include picks we traded away but that's not to say we'd select the same players used with those picks anyways.

Not too impressive is it?

That is a specious argument. The idea of drafting to build a team only works if you draft well. Detroit is a testament to building from within.

Clearly our scouting staff is lacking compared to a team like the red wings.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
That is a specious argument. The idea of drafting to build a team only works if you draft well. Detroit is a testament to building from within.

Clearly our scouting staff is lacking compared to a team like the red wings.

Exactly over the last 10-15 years we haven't been all that special at drafting. Which is why I welcome new additions like Clarkson, Bolland and Bernier.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Sums up the offseason on this board, good job guys.

PLAY THA KIDZZZZ!

Seriously i'm all for drafting and developing but there are just some ridiculous fans who get mad no matter what move is made. Seems like any signing or trade there are complaints and people who just want to promote within even if there's nothing there.

If we made no moves and only drafted our team of active players would look like this(a thread I created on the main board)

Tlusty-Kadri-Kulemin
Steen-Bozak-Frattin
Stalberg-Antropov-Boyes
Ponikarovsky-Komarov-Hayes

Gunnarsson-Schenn
Colaicovo-White
Kaberle-Stralman
Holzer

Rask
Reimer

Yes it doesn't include picks we traded away but that's not to say we'd select the same players used with those picks anyways.

Not too impressive is it?

While I agree with the point you're making, you can't really not include the picks we traded but then also not include the players we got for them. (Basically Kessel needs to be on the list)

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
While I agree with the point you're making, you can't really not include the picks we traded but then also not include the players we got for them. (Basically Kessel needs to be on the list)

I understand although I was just demonstrating how lacklustre our drafting has been(although it is looking better the last couple of years) and why every signing/trade shouldn't be seen so negative by so many posters on this board.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Bernier is costing us $3.4 million this year. He better stand on his effin head. Especially since we may have to trade Franson because of cap issues.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Don't really care about Team Canada right now. Reimer should have gotten an invite but it seems like he's invisible.

Bernier is unproven but he'll get a chance to prove himself.

Our defense is so DAMN good that it allows 32+ shots and still manages to "protect" it's goaltender.

Some idiots on these boards think that goalies like Pavelec and Varlamov are better than Reimer :laugh:.

Are you kidding me? Reimer is a really good ****ing goalie. Pavelec is terrible.

mikebel111*

I liked frattin but people overrated him so much over here.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Bernier is costing us $3.4 million this year. He better stand on his effin head. Especially since we may have to trade Franson because of cap issues.

No he isn't.

And Franson isn't being signed because we don't have enough cap space. He's still unsigned because he wants too much money.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
If the same report was about Riemer....people on here would be wildly projecting him into the starters role....but because it is Bernier these same people think it is some kind of slight against Riemer.

First of all, that's absurd. Second of all, spell the kid's name right.

It's obvious to anyone that's been paying attention that you're a huge Bernier fan.

Anyways...Dreger is getting Leaf Nation into a tizzy...the ultimate troll. I think either of our goalies have the potential to play themselves on to Team Canada's radar.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
My favourite Anti Leafs comments

"Reimer only looks good because of the defense"

Followed by

"Torontos defense only looks good because of Reimer"

"they're only good because their forwards score so much.....but Bozak, Kadri, Lupul, Clarkson are all overrated and suck anyways."

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The 3rd goalie on Team Canada is not expected to play and so it can be a young player that gains from the experience of being around the team. The concept behind a young goalie is grooming him for 2018 Olympics.

Bernier has been a part of the program of excellence as a member of Canada throughout his career representing his country proudly at U-18, WJC and World Championships & Spengler Cup in the past tournaments with winning results. The Olympics would be the next big international tournament on that path representing his Country. A player that comes up through the program always have the eye of selection committees.

So its really not that big a stretch or surprise that he could get some consideration for 2014 based on his past resume.

you sure he represented them "proudly" and not just "half-assedly"?

Reimer also represented Team Canada at the world Championships. Not sure if he did it "proudly" or not, though.

That same 2011 World Champs, btw:

J.Reimer: 4gms, 4-0-0, .920sv%
J.Bernier: 3gms, 2-1-0, .917sv%

Bernier never played at the Spengler, don't think.

And I don't know about "winning results". He was responsible for the only loss on that world champs game - in an elimination game, after having a 3rd period lead, no less.

He backed up Steve Mason at the '08 WJC, and while Mason was undefeated, Bernier was only 1-1, and responsible for the team's only loss. He lost out to Leland Irving in trying for the backup spot on the '07 team.

He also went 3-3 for the U-18 Team Canada in '06.

Last edited:

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Yes, yes he is

You're quoting his salary for the season after this upcoming one because it makes it seem worse than it is. If you're going to try and make the connection between what Bernier costs us and not resigning Franson because of cap issues, why wouldn't you use his cap hit?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You're quoting his salary for the season after this upcoming one because it makes it seem worse than it is. If you're going to try and make the connection between what Bernier costs us and not resigning Franson because of cap issues, why wouldn't you use his cap hit?

He's adding the $500k we retained in Frattin and Scrivens' contracts to Bernier's $2.9M contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad