TSN Radio Dreger: Jonathan Bernier could play himself onto 2014 Olympic team.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Darren Dreger was just on TSN 1050 and said that some very big and powerful NHL people believe that Jonathan Bernier could play himself into that #3 spot on team Canada at the Olympics. It looks like the current possibility as a third goaltender for Canada is Mike Smith. Dreger believes that a lot of people around the NHL see Bernier as a realistic option for the Canadian team if he plays the way they expect him to.

Options in net for Canada:

Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Mike Smith
Marc-Andre Fleury
Corey Crawford
Cam Ward
Braden Holtby

ForSpareParts*

"Powerful"

Lol

Doesn't he need an invitation? Wasn't he not on the original invite list?

Am I dreaming this?

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Reimer already outplayed most of those guys.

But then, three of them are cup winners and Luongo won the gold, so that's kind of important too?

Holtby is in a pretty similar position in his career...

Smith and Price, probably too late though...

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
We have two great young Goal Tenders and I think either one, or both, should be able to become a candidate, to play for Canada.

We are in a good position to make some noise this year and our Goal Tending, will be front and center, in the play-offs.

gustavsson50

Jul 19, 2010
Brampton
My favourite Anti Leafs comments

"Reimer only looks good because of the defense"

Followed by

"Torontos defense only looks good because of Reimer"

Fully agree^^^. I cant believe leafs fans. Bernier have alot of upside but guys he still gotta prove it. Reimer have proved himself as a number 1 goaltender for now so dont take credit away from him for his outstanding performance last season.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Darren Dreger was just on TSN 1050 and said that some very big and powerful NHL people believe that Jonathan Bernier could play himself into that #3 spot on team Canada at the Olympics. It looks like the current possibility as a third goaltender for Canada is Mike Smith. Dreger believes that a lot of people around the NHL see Bernier as a realistic option for the Canadian team if he plays the way they expect him to.

Options in net for Canada:

Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Mike Smith
Marc-Andre Fleury
Corey Crawford
Cam Ward
Braden Holtby

Reimer and many others could play their way on the team as well. Not really sure where Dreger is going with this. The goalies listed above and Reimer have all proven more than Bernier (possible exceltion to Holtby).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'd be shocked if Bernier made the team. If they want a young guy to take the 3rd spot, Holtby would be the obvious choice IMO.

In terms of the young goalies with (relatively) small sample sizes, he's consistently played at a higher level than the others (Reimer/Dubnyk/Bernier/etc as the other options).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd be shocked if Bernier made the team. If they want a young guy to take the 3rd spot, Holtby would be the obvious choice IMO.

In terms of the young goalies with (relatively) small sample sizes, he's consistently played at a higher level than the others (Reimer/Dubnyk/Bernier/etc as the other options).

The 3rd goalie on Team Canada is not expected to play and so it can be a young player that gains from the experience of being around the team. The concept behind a young goalie is grooming him for 2018 Olympics.

Bernier has been a part of the program of excellence as a member of Canada throughout his career representing his country proudly at U-18, WJC and World Championships & Spengler Cup in the past tournaments with winning results. The Olympics would be the next big international tournament on that path representing his Country. A player that comes up through the program always have the eye of selection committees.

So its really not that big a stretch or surprise that he could get some consideration for 2014 based on his past resume.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not really that outlandish. Bernier has an International history and it would make sense to bring a young 3rd Goalie in preparation for 2018.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I agree with the posters who posted that Bernier has always been on Team Canada's radar and Canada will likely go with a young goalie as their number 3 unless they have no confidence in the top two they select.

If the same report was about Riemer....people on here would be wildly projecting him into the starters role....but because it is Bernier these same people think it is some kind of slight against Riemer.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
If it happens then that means Bernier will have been nothing short of stellar for the Leafs, which would be the far better news than JB warming the bench in Sochi.

SteveV*

No offence to Reimer lovers, but the fact his name isn't even mentioned in the mix tells us all we need to about relying on blanket stats to make an argument. Hockey people don't seem to see him as a top flight guy-once again save percentage isn't the only story- which also explains why Nonis STILL went after Bernier even with Reimer's "stats".

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
No offence to Reimer lovers, but the fact his name isn't even mentioned in the mix tells us all we need to about relying on blanket stats to make an argument. Hockey people don't seem to see him as a top flight guy-once again save percentage isn't the only story- which also explains why Nonis STILL went after Bernier even with Reimer's "stats".

Why is "stats" in quotes lol

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Would be neat to see; that's for sure. But it's not likely to happen IMO.

But I am starting to get annoyed by the people that hate on Bernier because their feelings are hurt for Reimer. The team is better with our new goaltending tandem and that's what matters the most.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I agree with the posters who posted that Bernier has always been on Team Canada's radar and Canada will likely go with a young goalie as their number 3 unless they have no confidence in the top two they select.

If the same report was about Riemer....people on here would be wildly projecting him into the starters role....but because it is Bernier these same people think it is some kind of slight against Riemer.

Would be neat to see; that's for sure. But it's not likely to happen IMO.

But I am starting to get annoyed by the people that hate on Bernier because their feelings are hurt for Reimer. The team is better with our new goaltending tandem and that's what matters the most.

Consider the source then consider the agenda. Quite possible it isn't Bernier people are responding negatively to.....

EDDIE20*

My favourite Anti Leafs comments

"Reimer only looks good because of the defense"

Followed by

"Torontos defense only looks good because of Reimer"

Yep. It's amazing how the haters twist this one around to fit the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad