TSN: [Dreger] Expects Laine to get 11M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wasn't Dreger the guy that said Matthews wouldn't sign "for a penny less than McDavid"?

Laine's definitely not an 11M player yet, 9-10 AAV without a doubt though.

So we’ve all heard now:

Laine 11
AM 12
Marner 10
Nylander 8
Big Buff 10 (before he actually signed for much less)

When will people learn to not believe what these media guys say.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I think his even strength play is going to have to improve a lot to even consider that kind of money. Luckily Dreger is out to lunch with everything and anything involving the Jets. They have him on the local TSN station here and he never has a clue what he's talking about and always twists the conversation to talk about the Leafs somehow. Did Dreger say why he thinks that is the number? What comps is he using? That's a lot of money for a RFA winger. Essentially I believe he's using Corey Perry's contract with a projected 82.5 million cap but Perry's contract was all UFA years and Laine is coming off his ELC. Kucherov just signed for $9.5 coming off a 100 point season but again that contract is all UFA years.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I dunno if he;'ll actually get it, but it's not that outrageous a "want", really.

How many guys in the league have scored 44 goals in a year? I know Ovechkin makes less, but he signed his deal some years ago, when things were cheaper.

That kind of scoring puts bums in seats & means MAJOR MONEY.

In the last 10 seasons 9 players other than Laine...

Ovechkin x6
Stamkos x3
Crosby x2
Malkin,Perry, Kane, Parise, Marleau, Carter, Laine

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
That's a lot o cash! I could see it, although I think it'll be less. I've been wrong before though.

I guess you missed Bob's cast at the end of June... saying 12M & 10M for the 2 TOR players due next year

as for OP, yes I full y expect a salary in that range

I really think (okay, let's be honest, I really hope) those are unrealistic figures. I could maybe see them go as high as the Tavares contract for Matthews (even that is a stretch given results to date), but higher?

Marner's a great player but a $10M player? Yikes...not yet, anyway.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I wasn't saying he was a UFA, I was saying that's what he would get if he was one.

What's your contract estimate?
seeing what type of kid laine is and how the jets pat their rfa's I would be surprised if its over 9aav. if he puts up 50 this year which he more then likely will do 10aav wont be out of the question.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
That's a lot o cash! I could see it, although I think it'll be less. I've been wrong before though.

I really think (okay, let's be honest, I really hope) those are unrealistic figures. I could maybe see them go as high as the Tavares contract for Matthews (even that is a stretch given results to date), but higher?

Marner's a great player but a $10M player? Yikes...not yet, anyway.

I agree. I don't think there's a huge gap between Marner and Laine, but there is one, and goalscorers always get more. Elite goalscoring is one of the hardest things to find.

Laine settles around 9.5 million
Marner 7.5

That's my guess.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
seeing what type of kid laine is and how the jets pat their rfa's I would be surprised if its over 9aav. if he puts up 50 this year which he more then likely will do 10aav wont be out of the question.

I think we overate that aspect on here. I don't think people that we perceive as having better character actually take less. They shouldn't they are only hurting the union.

Reactions: Lovedemfanboys

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I think his even strength play is going to have to improve a lot to even consider that kind of money. Luckily Dreger is out to lunch with everything and anything involving the Jets. They have him on the local TSN station here and he never has a clue what he's talking about and always twists the conversation to talk about the Leafs somehow. Did Dreger say why he thinks that is the number? What comps is he using? That's a lot of money for a RFA winger. Essentially I believe he's using Corey Perry's contract with a projected 82.5 million cap but Perry's contract was all UFA years and Laine is coming off his ELC. Kucherov just signed for $9.5 coming off a 100 point season but again that contract is all UFA years.

5v5 past 2 seasons:

Laine
43g 74pts +27
P/60 2.13 P1/60 1.7
2082 mins

vs

Jack Eichel
27g 61pts
P/60 1.90 P1/60 1.50
1926mins
10 000 000$

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Well enjoy the season boys cause there’s a lockout coming soon
no matter what they pay the players its always going to be a 50-50 split with the owners. nothing has changed with the salaries going up.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Hopefully he does. As a fan of Edmonton I hope they run out of cap space, that Jets team is stacked already and a big obstacle in our way when we fire Chia and get a competent GM to win Mcdavid a cup.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Lol... Laine is not a 11 mill player

As of now I couldn't justify paying more than 8 or so. Turns the puck over a lot, absolutely useless on the breakout, not anywhere close to being an elite passer. His impact on a shift to shift basis isn't anywhere close to the players who are making that kind of money.

He needs to improve a lot this season in order to earn that kind of money. I'm a Jets and Laine fan saying this.

If you're a Jets fan, you'd know Laine's passing skills are superbly underrated. Maybe not elite, but the next best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad