Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
The Clifford & De La Rose deals look stupid right now, as we could give Hoffman 3-4 and Dunn 2.5 if they weren’t on the books.

yeah I didn’t understand the Clifford deal unless they are getting rid of someone currently on the 4th line.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
The Clifford & De La Rose deals look stupid right now, as we could give Hoffman 3-4 and Dunn 2.5 if they weren’t on the books.

Push comes to shove, one of their contracts can be moved to create some cap space. It's not as if Hoffman was guaranteed to sign with the Blues, so they took some steps to shore up the roster.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

Wrong. The players specifically asked Army for a guy with sandpaper like Clifford. He explained it on the Cam & Strick podcast.

de la Rose is also going to go to the Taxi Squad the second Hoffman, Tarasenko, or Kostin get added to the roster. MacEachern too if two of those guys are added.

The Blues have $5,416,152 in cap space to create this roster:

Hoffman-O’Reilly-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Sanford-Thomas-Tarasenko
Barbashev-Bozak-Sundqvist
Blais, Clifford

Krug-Parayko
Scandella-Faulk
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson

Binner
Husso

Taxi squad:
F- MacEachern, de la Rose, Kostin/Poganski/Walker

D- Mikkola, Santini/Perunovich

G- Gillies

To act like we can’t make room for both is just false.

Last edited:

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
I doubt the Blues expected Hoffman to be available at Christmas when they signed those players. That's just hindsight.

Reactions: Benighted

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
I doubt the Blues expected Hoffman to be available at Christmas when they signed those players. That's just hindsight.

I'll push back ever so slightly and say that the Blues probably expected Tarasenko to go on LTIR, and Steen as well. Steen didn't show much improvement with regards to the injury during the playoffs and beyond, so I think they knew both of those contracts would give them some flexibility. Clifford's and JDLR's deals are minimal and movable if need be, so I'd call it good planning by the Blues and maybe a little foresight too.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Clifford is Steen’s replacement in the 4th line. They knew he was not going to be available. But the roster is deep enough that the 4th line guys are going to be fighting for ice time.

I understand he is steens replacement...just feel like we could fill that from within. I’m not against the Clifford signing....just not for it although I’d rather Clifford than de la rose.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I understand he is steens replacement...just feel like we could fill that from within. I’m not against the Clifford signing....just not for it although I’d rather Clifford than de la rose.
this season will be almost exclusively interdivisional games. increased familiarity, the series style match ups, and frequency of play are likely to increase the rivalries and aggressiveness on the ice. blues won't mind having clifford out there.

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
According to Pierre Lebrun, Habs were in on Hoffman then gave Perry a contract when MH signed with the Blues.

Reactions: Laus723

bluemike

Nov 2, 2005
i realize this . but the problem for stlouis was giving pieterangelo 7 years , its my bet they figured hes too old ands played too many games for him to have 7 top seasons left in him and that the say last 3 he'd be a way lesser player with a huge cap hit . mean while krug a bit younger and essentially with 3 fewer seasons of abuse to his body makes them believe in 7 years he could still be a wise old o zone quarterback very beneficial to the offense . gms have gotten stung too many times giving oldish guys big long term contracts , shorter terms are going to be the new trend

No, actually the Blues DID offer Petro 8 years/$64 mil. The problem was he wanted half his salary paid up front and management refused (rightly so). So Vegas tossed half their team to sign to a ridiculous contract and they'll soon be fishing the puck out of their own net often because of it. Good riddance to the slob.

Reactions: Benighted

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
No, actually the Blues DID offer Petro 8 years/$64 mil. The problem was he wanted half his salary paid up front and management refused (rightly so). So Vegas tossed half their team to sign to a ridiculous contract and they'll soon be fishing the puck out of their own net often because of it. Good riddance to the slob.

The vitriol some Blues “fans” have towards Alex Pietrangelo is mind boggling.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Pietrangelo is a slob for wanting a signing bonus?

Almost the entirety of O'Reilly's contract is signing bonus, does that make him a slob?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad