Proposal: Draisaitl

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
TRADE VALUE HERE IS IRRELEVANT FOR THE FLYERS, but it's something I'd expect most Montreal fans to except. I know Giroux could return more, but because it's almost July 1st and it's the time of the year to imagine:
---------------------
Trade Giroux to Montreal for a 2018 1st, 2019 1st, and Tomas Plekanec.

Sign Draisaitl to a 7 year/70M contract.

---------------------

If all Hextall does is resign Simmonds and fill expiring contracts with prospects in the system, this is what the organizational depth could look like in 2019-2020:

Lindblom-Draisaitl-Voracek
Konecny-Patrick-Simmonds
Rubtsov(2016 1st)-Couturier-Allison(2016 2nd)
Frost(2017 1st)-Laughton-Weise
Ratcliffe(2017 2nd)-Vorobyov(2015 4th)-Laberge(2016 2nd)

Provorov-Sanheim
Morin-Myers
Ghost-Gudas
Hagg-MacDonald

Hart
Sandstrom
Lyon
Stolarz
---------------------------------

They would lose four first round picks to Edmonton, but that is offset by the acquisitions of the Blue's 1st round pick in 2018 or 2019 and Montreal's 1st round picks in 2018 and 2019. Draisaitl is 1.725M more expensive than Giroux, but I don't think it's any doubt who the better and more productive player will be over the next 5-7 years. That entire roster will be 26 or younger at the start of the 2019-2020 season except for Voracek(30), Simmonds(31), Gudas(29), Weise, and MacDonald. Weise and MacDonald's contracts up would be expiring after the season.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
ca22ee79315ba50866e0e927957b9061.jpg

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Ignoring how utterly absurd this is, I do think offersheeting Draisaitl 10m for seven years is something some teams should be considering. I don't think we're the team to do it... but I would love Draisaitl on the Flyers. Been massively high on him since before he was drafted.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'm not sure it matters what we'd offer sheet Drai. I'd think Edmonton would match.

They're actually not in a terrific position. Tying up 23.25mm on two centers would tie the hands of any team. They'd have a year to figure things out before McDavid's contract kicks in, but they'd have to make some decisions. RNH is likely gone regardless.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think Chiarelli would just match & deal with it later. Obviously you make the odds of him ****ing up that situation even higher than it already is. But Chiarelli is definitely shoot first ask questions later type of guy.

Most GM's aren't that agressive though anyway. They treat their job like they're golfing at the country club with each other.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
NHL GMs are too nicey nice to do that offer sheet. Look at Kucherov last year. Yzerman had zero pressure and signed him to a sweetheart ridiculously underpaid bridge deal, all while the situation was begging for an offer sheet. Despite it being perfectly in the rules, they are too afraid to sour relationships and look petty among their peers or have it come back to bite them with their own players. It's why they practically never happen, and certainly not offer sheets of that magnitude. For all intents and purposes, offer sheeting seems to be dead.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
What happens when they match?

Patrick and Couturier as the only two guaranteed NHL centers on the roster sounds like a bad idea. I'm not sure if it's really worth the risk. Obviously upgrading from Giroux to Draisaitl is a no brainer, but the risk of having neither of them on your team isn't really worth it. Giroux is a flawed player with some questions to answer going forward, but having Giroux, Patrick, and Couturier up the middle is still going to create difficult match ups if Patrick lives up to the hype. Trying to find a center as good as Giroux to fill that hole would be tough if the Oilers match.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ignoring how utterly absurd this is, I do think offersheeting Draisaitl 10m for seven years is something some teams should be considering. I don't think we're the team to do it... but I would love Draisaitl on the Flyers. Been massively high on him since before he was drafted.

Me too, bigtime. He is one of only three players (Drai, Pulju, Pastrnak) around the league that I actively covet, and two of them are from an organization I loathe with every fiber of my being.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If they pay Mcdavid 13.5 million per year they will need to keep Draisaitl under 10 million to keep a competitive team. They would be the highest paid duo in the NHL.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
What happens when they match?

Patrick and Couturier as the only two guaranteed NHL centers on the roster sounds like a bad idea. I'm not sure if it's really worth the risk. Obviously upgrading from Giroux to Draisaitl is a no brainer, but the risk of having neither of them on your team isn't really worth it. Giroux is a flawed player with some questions to answer going forward, but having Giroux, Patrick, and Couturier up the middle is still going to create difficult match ups if Patrick lives up to the hype. Trying to find a center as good as Giroux to fill that hole would be tough if the Oilers match.

Didn't think it was necessary for me to say that you hold onto Giroux if you don't get Draisaitl. You don't trade Giroux unless Edmonton accepts the picks.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

It's definitely unlikely, what's "absurd" about it though?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Didn't think it was necessary for me to say that you hold onto Giroux if you don't get Draisaitl. You don't trade Giroux unless Edmonton accepts the picks.

Don't you need the cap room available in order to offer sheet someone?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It would defintely be a big problem when we're trying to sign Provorov, Sanheim and Patrick.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Don't you need the cap room available in order to offer sheet someone?

Pretty sure you can go over the cap by 10%, or at least you used to be able to. Either way, they have over 10M in space right now and with one other move, they could make enough room to fill out the roster.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why is Giroux fetching a return from Montreal that is barely more than the return for Schenn?

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Pretty sure you can go over the cap by 10%, or at least you used to be able to. Either way, they have over 10M in space right now and with one other move, they could make enough room to fill out the roster.
It is an intriguing idea and tough to pull off with the current salaries. Something definitely to consider. Other teams I hope offer him an offer sheet even though the Oilers will probably match. Say if the Oilers are the next multiple cup team you want to cause them as much salary cap pain as possible to avoid this especially if you are a team out west. Does this cause friction between gm's. Yes, but it is in the rules.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
TRADE VALUE HERE IS IRRELEVANT FOR THE FLYERS, but it's something I'd expect most Montreal fans to except. I know Giroux could return more, but because it's almost July 1st and it's the time of the year to imagine:
---------------------
Trade Giroux to Montreal for a 2018 1st, 2019 1st, and Tomas Plekanec.

Sign Draisaitl to a 7 year/70M contract.

---------------------

If all Hextall does is resign Simmonds and fill expiring contracts with prospects in the system, this is what the organizational depth could look like in 2019-2020:

Lindblom-Draisaitl-Voracek
Konecny-Patrick-Simmonds
Rubtsov(2016 1st)-Couturier-Allison(2016 2nd)
Frost(2017 1st)-Laughton-Weise
Ratcliffe(2017 2nd)-Vorobyov(2015 4th)-Laberge(2016 2nd)

Provorov-Sanheim
Morin-Myers
Ghost-Gudas
Hagg-MacDonald

Hart
Sandstrom
Lyon
Stolarz
---------------------------------

They would lose four first round picks to Edmonton, but that is offset by the acquisitions of the Blue's 1st round pick in 2018 or 2019 and Montreal's 1st round picks in 2018 and 2019. Draisaitl is 1.725M more expensive than Giroux, but I don't think it's any doubt who the better and more productive player will be over the next 5-7 years. That entire roster will be 26 or younger at the start of the 2019-2020 season except for Voracek(30), Simmonds(31), Gudas(29), Weise, and MacDonald. Weise and MacDonald's contracts up would be expiring after the season.

Even if the Flyers would get draisaitl via offersheet, why should the Flyers sell low on Giroux? Just to get the Habs out of that mess they got themselves into? I dont think so.

Last edited:

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Why is Giroux fetching a return from Montreal that is barely more than the return for Schenn?

Maybe read the first sentence of the post that's in capital letters. No **** he could return more, it even makes it look better in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad