Confirmed with Link: Chicago Wolves AHL Affiliate

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I don't know, but the way that tweet is worded to me says it's an affiliation deal but not Dundan buying a team to do it. Otherwise I don't know that they'd need to work out many details.
Devil's advocate: they've had plenty of time to work out details with Chicago. Both of them have known this is a possibility for next season since Carolina started sending prospects there again.

If somewhere else has come open due to an expiring deal, that would be a situation where I could see details needing to be ironed out. No idea if any affiliation deals are expiring though.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Just need this done already. Need a AHL team ASAP whether that is an agreement or we own it outright.
If the AHL finally requires Chicago to affiliate with someone next year, they don't need it done ASAP.

There are 32 AHL teams and 32 NHL teams. Either Chicago finds someone else, or Chicago comes crawling back to Carolina.

And maybe that's why negotiations are ongoing: I doubt the Wolves get anywhere near as good a deal as they had before.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Tucson the affiliate, Utah to partner with Chicago.

We'll have to wait until league expands to buy a team or re-engage the previously back-outer to see if they have changed their mind.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Tucson the affiliate, Utah to partner with Chicago.

We'll have to wait until league expands to buy a team or re-engage the previously back-outer to see if they have changed their mind.
I'd be surprised, given Murelo still owns the Roadrunners and is trying to move them to Tempe's Mullet arena to replace the Coyotes.

Maybe Dundon makes a more lucrative offer for affiliation to help fund Murelo's attempt to build a new arena in the greater Phoenix area?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Since I am a "not real familiar with everything that goes on" type a guy.. I find it weird the Charlotte Checkers are not with the Canes.
They used to be. Checkers owner tried to get the Canes to pay all the costs while he could keep all the profits. He thought that with the marketing synergies having the affiliate being in-state gave the Canes, he had the Canes over a barrel and he could get whatever he wanted.

Dundon said nope, and affiliated with Chicago instead.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
This is the only article I found (taking a quick look mind you) that explicitly said the Roadrunners will be an affiliate of Utah

The Roadrunners remain under the ownership of Meruelo and will be an affiliate of the new team in Utah.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
why would it be surprising? We arent buying tucson, they would be our affiliate. Smith likely wants a full break of all things Coyotes. Cant see him keeping his prospects there.
Does he want a full break? Or does he think that keeping the Roadrunners there gives some connection back to the previous fan base who he might have TV market rights for next season anyway?

It's negligible either way, but given the history of the Wolves I wouldn't leave a stable affiliate situation for them.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Does he want a full break? Or does he think that keeping the Roadrunners there gives some connection back to the previous fan base who he might have TV market rights for next season anyway?

It's negligible either way, but given the history of the Wolves I wouldn't leave a stable affiliate situation for them.
btw if it is Tucson it's foolhardy to think that their owner would be a good partner/one that will properly fund the team.

Reactions: kickback256

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Given all the rumors of how the former coyotes owner (or should i say current owner of the inactive Coyotes team) does business, can't see any other nhl owner wanting to be affiliated with that AHL team... bad for their rep if that ahl affiliate doesn't pay their bills either... or tries to pull crap in terms of payments between the two parties for operating costs and profits...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad