Proposal: Draisaitl

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Peak production in today's NHL is actually 24, not 26.

I actually hope you're trolling at this point, but Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Bergeron, Getzlaf, Carter, Kesler, and even Claude Giroux had long stretches of elite play between 26-30. Most became better all around players as they sacrificed offense.

Is Draisaitl at 10M and a 1st for Giroux not a massive win in 2-3 years?

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Except it's all fantasy. The return you think you'll get for Giroux is exaggerated, but you really have to trade him before doing the offer sheet - which will inevitably be matched.

So you end up with no Giroux and no Draisaitl. Thankfully Hexy will be smarter than this.

Don't need Draisatl, we just got Patrick.

Sell high on Giroux while his value is still holding.... there's plenty of teams who would give a 1st round pick + very good prospect for Giroux. ('m looking at you Chayka.. Hexy go get Clayton Keller please!!)

I dont think Giroux was ever a huge locker room captain anyway, he's more of an on-the-ice leader IMO. Speaking of his on-the-ice performance, he hasnt been nearly as noticeable these days and its only getting worse. I'd 100% make a trade for the right return.

We can still put a competitive team on the ice without him. #youthmovement

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Except it's all fantasy. The return you think you'll get for Giroux is exaggerated, but you really have to trade him before doing the offer sheet - which will inevitably be matched.

So you end up with no Giroux and no Draisaitl. Thankfully Hexy will be smarter than this.

Yeah that's a totally different scenario than I put out there. I offered low end deals and high end deals for Giroux, what did I exaggerate?

Sure, it's fantasy and unlikely to happen,but offer sheets have happened before with this team and this is a message board where people talk about trade ideas.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Have you ever heard of an example? In that deal with Montreal, which I have acknowledged three times is less than they'd get in actual trade, they are getting two first round picks back and already hold the Blues 1st. Their net loss is 1 first round pick.

Not to mention they could even be drafting higher with Montreal's picks than if they held onto their own.

Since you can't see it yourself, imagine if it was Pacioretty and 2 1sts like someone else said.

To Minnesota for Brodin/Scandella+Kunin/Kaprizov+

To Nashville for Fiala+Fabbro+1st+Cap Dump.

First off:
If you are truly interested in a constructive conversation you shouldnt use a suggestive question in the first sentence of your response. That wont make your argumentation anymore valid. Work on your communication habit if you want to be taken serious.

Back to topic: You left out that the Flyers hold next years 1st of the blues because they traded schenn (a 50-60 point roster player) for two 1st and an overpaid 4th line center. Its not like the blues gifted us that 1st rounder next year. Their "net loss" wouldnt just be a 1st round pick in your hypothetical setting.

So, again, why should the Flyers help the Habs with trading them Giroux below his trade value as how you proposed in the op? And it doesnt matter what kind of other assets the Flyers hold or what kind of players they could/would aquire in an hypothetical setting.

Why do you even bring up max pac now? I did response to your proposal in the OP.

Last edited:

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Nope, can't be done. We can only trade big name players on June 23rd. I guess we will have to wait until next year...

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I actually hope you're trolling at this point, but Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Bergeron, Getzlaf, Carter, Kesler, and even Claude Giroux had long stretches of elite play between 26-30. Most became better all around players as they sacrificed offense.

Without looking into it he might be right and you're thinking the wrong way about it. Using a few particular players who's peak is over 24 doesn't mean anything given the handfuls of PEBs, Matt Reads, and etc. of players who come and go.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I'm aware that a players prime lasts more than 1 season.

The median age for statistical production peak is 24 years old. Just pointing out that Draisaitl might not be at his peak in 5 years (at 26), like you suggested. Maybe he will be? I don't know.

Christ. Why are you so defensive?

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Without looking into it he might be right and you're thinking the wrong way about it. Using a few particular players who's peak is over 24 doesn't mean anything given the handfuls of PEBs, Matt Reads, and etc. of players who come and go.

Okay so then how is replacing Giroux, who will be 34 and making 8.275 5 seasons from now, for Draisaitl who will be 26 and making 10M per not a beneficial swap?

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I'm aware that a players prime lasts more than 1 season.

The median age for statistical production peak is 24 years old. Just pointing out that Draisaitl might not be at his peak in 5 years (at 26), like you suggested. Maybe he will be? I don't know.

Christ. Why are you so defensive?

You are responding to what I said with questions/statements that aren't really relevant. All I was inferring is that Draisaitl will be a better player than Giroux in 5 years. I may have misunderstood your implication but I thought you were saying Draisaitl's offensive production will likely be less at 26 than at 24. I just don't understand why that comes into play when you're swapping him for a player that's 8 years older. You and several others questioned the trade to Montreal, which in the context of what I originally posted wasn't really important. Maybe I should have just said "and we trade Giroux", but I was just giving a scenario to make the proposal clearer.

If you think trading Giroux and essentially a 2020 1st for LD would be smart, it's no different than any other trade proposal we discuss on here. It's just something that doesn't happen often.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Okay so then how is replacing Giroux, who will be 34 and making 8.275 5 seasons from now, for Draisaitl who will be 26 and making 10M per not a beneficial swap?

I'm confused. At what point did I mention it wasn't? The only point I made was about the statistical average not Draisaitl vs Giroux.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Edm will match any realistic offer sheet for Drai. Anything more than realistic we should avoid :laugh:

But, man... Draisaitl and Patrick as our top two centers for the next 10 years would be amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad