Draisaitl Vs Gaudreau

Who is the better player

• Gaudreau

• Draisaitl

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Drai is a 55-60 point VERY good second liner, solid 1st liner without McJesus. JG is the answer

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree, and that’s why I’m so confused with TM. I don’t think you even need to see him at centre to see he possesses the qualities. He does everything well.

I’d use them like Crosby and Malkin - PP, desperate times, maybe some OT. I think the team is better when you’ve got two elite centres anchoring their own line.

The real solution to this would be Chiarelli trading for a top 6 winger.
Pretty much bang on. There's not enough skill on the wings to support a 1-2-3 down the middle of McD-Leon-RNH. I like RNH, but he's not a guy who you can just throw anyone with and see him succeed. He's doing his best this season with a struggling Lucic and a revolving door of underperforming 3rd liners, but long-term you're just not going to get results out of him on the 3rd line with a bunch of offensively challenged wingers.

I think you could honestly keep Leon at wing and move him to RNH's wing, but then you still need to find someone to play McDavid's wing if you want him producing to the level he's capable of.

Long-term you'd hope Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Benson can be those guys to help add some skill on the wings, but in the short-term, barring a trade, there just isn't enough talent on the wing to support the 3C's approach.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Drai is a 55-60 point VERY good second liner, solid 1st liner without McJesus. JG is the answer
Well thats impossible to know because the last time Draisaitl played away from McDavid he put up 51 in 72 (58P pace) at 20 years old, and at 21 years old he put up 31 points in 37 (68P pace) games before being put on McDavid's wing. If you want to discount that 21 y/o sample because he played on the PP with McDavid, then you'd better discount every player in the league who plays on the PP with another skilled player.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Only offensive piece?

LOL
Yeah that was certainly a stretch considering he's playing with an ~30G-60P centre, and has 3 D on his team who have surpassed 40P in the last 3 years, and who currently have 22 points between the 3 of them (Edmonton's entire D group only has 15 points this season).

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
funny coming from Giroux's biggest fan

he was near ppg centering Taylor Hall in his 2nd year

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Pretty much bang on. There's not enough skill on the wings to support a 1-2-3 down the middle of McD-Leon-RNH. I like RNH, but he's not a guy who you can just throw anyone with and see him succeed. He's doing his best this season with a struggling Lucic and a revolving door of underperforming 3rd liners, but long-term you're just not going to get results out of him on the 3rd line with a bunch of offensively challenged wingers.

I think you could honestly keep Leon at wing and move him to RNH's wing, but then you still need to find someone to play McDavid's wing if you want him producing to the level he's capable of.

Long-term you'd hope Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Benson can be those guys to help add some skill on the wings, but in the short-term, barring a trade, there just isn't enough talent on the wing to support the 3C's approach.
Yeah, it’s a tough call on some nights when you only need 2 or 3 to win.

I’d like to see Chiarelli make a move. Pittsburgh, Chicago, even the Islanders with Parenteau and Moulson, have shown how to play ‘moneyball’ and find value options to compliment their elite players.. He swung and missed with Ryan Strome. Swing again.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
At. This. Moment.

How is this even a question folks. One guy is the only offensive piece on a +.500 team. The other is a passenger to one of the 3-5 best players in the game.
Can I quote this post in the next Monahan poll?

Really close for me. I like Drais size and his heavy style of play better. But JG does do more with less so I choose him for now but just barely.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Based off of their play against Anaheim (which is when I get to watch them the most), Drai by a mile. But other than that I think I might give a very slight edge to Gaudreau.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Draisaitl is hideously overrated and clearly can't be trusted at centre, so there goes his "versatility". It's Gaudreau.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I wouldn't say that, Giroux has declined quite a bit. Yes, he's having a good year but I would only give him the slight edge on Draisaitl for now.
Well im thinking of prime Giroux havent really seen his play this year so i cant judge this year alone.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Only offensive piece?

LOL

Let me know when anyone outside of him or the 3M line does anything to drive play at forward. FFS the guys involved in over 50% of Calgary’s total offence, how are people still so dense?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Anyone calling Draisaitl a passenger is out to lunch. McDavid benefits just as much, if more, by being paired with Draisaitl.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Draisaitl is hideously overrated and clearly can't be trusted at centre, so there goes his "versatility". It's Gaudreau.

How do you explain his extended games with Hall

Gaudreau is overrated as evident in the top 10 winger thread and that other 1

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010

Yeah nice try... He definitely can be trusted at centre. The reason why he's been moved to wing is because the Oilers just don't have enough RW depth and need someone to play on McDavid's wing. He is clearly versatile as he's been able to play C with Hall in the past and play RW with McDavid. He's got size and skill, has worked on his speed, and can take faceoffs too.

The only thing being overrated is how much playing with McDavid has inflated his points. He's clearly proven he can be a driver (see: playoffs last year).

Gaudreau has admittedly proven more at this point so he wins this poll right now, but it's close IMO and Draisaitl could win a similar poll in another year or two. I'd personally rather have a Draisaitl type player on my team in the long run compared to Gaudreau (given that the team I cheer for already has McDavid... I can see why a team starting from scratch would prefer an offensive star like Gaudreau to build around).

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Oilers have the most pitiful wing depth I've seen from a proclaimed "contender". Check out their lineup for proof or the Alberta vs Ontario poll

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Better yet. Take Draisaitl off McDavid's wing. Now find a 1st line RW for McDavid and a 2nd line RW for Draisaitl

Goodluck

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
lol but wait, aren't both playing wing now?
Yes, but not because they can’t play C..

Many have mentioned the reason for Draisaitl. Giroux has been killed with injuries. His gritty style on a small frame has taken its toll.. Moving him to the wing puts a lot less hard miles on the body and hopefully it keeps him in the lineup.

It’s a smart move by the Flyers, but not because G can’t play anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad