Confirmed with Link: Draisaitl re-signs 8y 8.5M AAV

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I guess he is then? I mean the markets are different, Leon is an elite (or appears to be) player in the league, so he's expensive.

Toews, is a medium scoring defensive center who gets $10.5M and gets credit for winning his team Stanley Cups, I hope Leon ends up with that problem.

Again, it's like we always talk about Henri Richard being one of the top-5 players in league history because he won himself 10 Stanley Cups.

Toews has 622 points in 717 games. That's 71 points per 82 games played.

71 points last year would have been 9th in scoring among all NHL centers.
His pace from just the last year would have given him 66 points over 82 games and tied him for 12th.

I think that's a bit better than medium scoring.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Toews has 622 points in 717 games. That's 71 points per 82 games played.

71 points last year would have been 9th in scoring among all NHL centers.
His pace from just the last year would have given him 66 points over 82 games and tied him for 12th.

I think that's a bit better than medium scoring.

I guess, medium high end. But it's not $10.5M a year worthy or elite/legend status worthy.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
So you're convinced they've won because of Toews. I'm convinced the team has won and Toews was there.

He contributed, but so did 30 other players to varying degrees. He's a very good player, but if you need him to be a Legend, go nuts. He's just not that player and extremely overrated and overpaid.

Theres no way to devolve the additions that the players make to the team success.

That is unless you warrant that the Black Hawks dont know anything about hockey and that they have no ability to adequately compensate their various players....

But if I were to do that I guess Id be arguing against myself, and that never happens.

So I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Both won Stanley Cups, have very comparable production (considering eras), Toews might be slightly better defensively.

I mean if wasn't for the mythos of Toews, the comparison would be easier to see for some.

Really, I saw Toews play on the same team Canada as Crosby, and pretty much out play him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What amazes me is the HF groupthink that Draisaitl was some kind of passenger on McDavid's line and rode his coat tails all season - largely Flames and Habs fan driven, but there are a few Oiler fans sprinkled in...

McDavid GF% without Drai: 62%
McDavid GF% with Drai: 64%
McDavid CF% without Drai: 52%
McDavid CF% with Drai: 53%

Leon Draisaitl made the best player on the planet BETTER, and this is viewed as a negative somehow?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
What amazes me is the HF groupthink that Draisaitl was some kind of passenger on McDavid's line and rode his coat tails all season - largely Flames and Habs fan driven, but there are a few Oiler fans sprinkled in...

Leon Draisaitl made the best player on the planet BETTER, and this is viewed as a negative somehow?

For 8.5 million per year, he better be a magic man.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

not only that, but what the stats don't show is that many players would be hot with McDavid but then cool off, and McDavid would even start being ineffective (relatively). Drai is the only linemate McDavid had that stuck for a long, extended period with consistent production, and McDavid rarely slumped while he played with Draisaitl. This even applies to Maroon btw, who would have some slumps himself, but was still the LWer that fit best with McDavid.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
not only that, but what the stats don't show is that many players would be hot with McDavid but then cool off, and McDavid would even start being ineffective (relatively). Drai is the only linemate McDavid had that stuck for a long, extended period with consistent production, and McDavid rarely slumped while he played with Draisaitl. This even applies to Maroon btw, who would have some slumps himself, but was still the LWer that fit best with McDavid.

This is why it doesn't matter to me if McDavid and Draisatl spend a lot of time playing together. They were so dominant. I don't care how Mclellan uses them as long as the team is winning. I suspect part of the reason Chiarelli was so keen on the long term deal at the price he paid as opposed to a bridge deal was because he didn't want an upcoming contract negotiation to be a distraction for how Mclellan used Draisatl.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
This is why it doesn't matter to me if McDavid and Draisatl spend a lot of time playing together. They were so dominant. I don't care how Mclellan uses them as long as the team is winning. I suspect part of the reason Chiarelli was so keen on the long term deal at the price he paid as opposed to a bridge deal was because he didn't want an upcoming contract negotiation to be a distraction for how Mclellan used Draisatl.

I bet you that even if the team wins the President's trophy and goes deep into the playoffs there will be posters heckling Drai's contract if all this happens with him on McDavid's wing...

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

That's a pretty slim statistical difference there. When you need to go to one or two decimal places to judge the 'real' impact it might be tough to gauge how much better Draisaitl really made McDavid.

Goes to the point that Draisaitl wasn't a passenger with McDavid, but making him BETTER? Need a little more support than that.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

How does that show that a Drai made McDavid better? That's a small difference. That's a poor argument.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
How does that show that a Drai made McDavid better? That's a small difference. That's a poor argument.

Really? It's an argument that Both Draisaitl isn't dependant on McDavid to product and that he actually is good enough to improve McDavid's effectiveness.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

A small difference but an increase nonetheless.

If my argument is poor, what's yours? Or would you just prefer to critique fact from the sidelines?

oilinger

Jul 11, 2016
I bet you that even if the team wins the President's trophy and goes deep into the playoffs there will be posters heckling Drai's contract if all this happens with him on McDavid's wing...

The posters who feel that way should heckle McLellan, not Drai.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
A small difference but an increase nonetheless.

If my argument is poor, what's yours? Or would you just prefer to critique fact from the sidelines?

why is this argument. McDavid will drive the line no matter who he plays with. So will Draisaitl. They have chemistry, so of course two great players will produce playing together. But the Oilers are probably better off playing them on separate lines. Draisaitl with Lucic and whoever. And McDavid with Maroon and whoever. Maybe Puljujaarvi or Strome.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
At this point trying to assess just how much Draisaitl's number may have been inflated by McDavid is a bit of an academic exercise. The time to do this was before the deal was signed. As of today he is an Oiler for the next 8 years in all likelihood and his salary is set in stone.

Personally, I think that by the middle of his deal he is earning this amount or very close to it. My concern is not that he is not a great young player but only about the impact his deal will have on the team's ability to field the best possible lineup in the next two years following this. This is why I am trying to be as optimistic as possible about a rising cap. If we could get to $85M by the 2019-2020 season then I think the team can ride out the storm. Right now I would put odds of this happening at 50% or better barring any major downturn in the $CDN.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Really? It's an argument that Both Draisaitl isn't dependant on McDavid to product and that he actually is good enough to improve McDavid's effectiveness.

Doesn't it really prove that the Draisaitl replacements were not as effective as Drai when beside McDavid? I am not bagging on Leon, just the argument that him being better than Jesse and Ebs supports he is uplifting Connor. Their RW scoring was not deep. His worth will become clearer in the next couple of years because he didn't get $8.5M to repeat this season. Also lets see what some of his peer group sign for and how they improve over the same stretch. He was eighth in league scoring this year. What s a top 5 guy worth these days?

Also maybe Connor told the Oilers to give the money he left on the table to Leon:)

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Seems like a MacTavish contract, shelling out massive dollars for a young player coming off a good season. Let's hope we don't end up despising this contract like we did with Nuge and Hall contracts.

I think Drai is much better than Nuge and Hall, but that remains to be proven on the ice.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Seems like a MacTavish contract, shelling out massive dollars for a young player coming off a good season. Let's hope we don't end up despising this contract like we did with Nuge and Hall contracts.

I think Drai is much better than Nuge and Hall, but that remains to be proven on the ice.

In what world was the Hall contract despised? It was considered solid then, and highway robbery now.

I think that is also a good benchmark to look at. 6m for Hall is a great deal. Draisaitl is bigger, better, more versatile (Can play C in the West), and can play with Connor.

The thing with Nuge is that he peaked in his rookie season. We've seen 3 years of Draisaitl now, and he just keeps getting better. I think the kid has too much drive to make us fully regret this contract. Overpaid by a mill? Maybe. But this isn't a disaster.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I think you mean the Nuge and Ebs contracts. Hall was fine for 6 mil. In my opinion, the jury's still out on Nuge, but many people don't agree.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

In what way is this like a "MacTavish" contract? Of the six million dollar men, only Nuge was his. Tambellini signed Hall and Eberle. Mactavish signed guys like Fayne, Ference, Poulliot, Gagner and Nikitin and just missed out on Clarkson. All of which looked bad the day of the signings. Are you actually suggesting that Draisatl, at 21 years old and coming off a 77 point season, belongs in this group?:help:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In what way is this like a "MacTavish" contract? Of the six million dollar men, only Nuge was his. Tambellini signed Hall and Eberle. Mactavish signed guys like Fayne, Ference, Poulliot, Gagner and Nikitin and just missed out on Clarkson. All of which looked bad the day of the signings. Are you actually suggesting that Draisatl, at 21 years old and coming off a 77 point season, belongs in this group?:help:

Moreover, none of the three contracts were bad gambles. Hall has been worth his contract from its duration. Despite what people think neither Eberle or Nuge are really all that much over paid.

In 4 of the five years since he signed his deal Eberle has scored 20 or more goals. The only year he failed to do that was the lockout year where he had 16 goals in 48 games. That is a 27 goal pace. He got his money to score goals. Over that period he is 22nd in ES goals scored and not a single player with more ES goals than him makes less than $5M and only Carter and Benn make less than $5.5M.

Nuge's salary value is harder to pin down until we know what he will be going forwrad. If he is a 40 point center he is about $1.25-1.5 over paid. If he is a 50 point center who was a UFA today no chance you get him for less that $5.5M.

The other thing about there deals is that the drop in the $CDN really hurt the value of the deals. Had the dollar stayed where it was back then we would likely have a cap today that would be close to $85M. At that level both deals would be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad