Confirmed with Link: Draisaitl re-signs 8y 8.5M AAV

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
So happy we got him for 8 years. Here is a wallpaper I did for deviantart.
Draisaitl_Art1.jpg

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Toews was overpayed last year. But he is the Tom Brady of the NHL. He may never translate into his contract as points are concerned..but his dynamic into the 2way game is well deserved

People are sh**ing on Toews after 1 bad year. It's laughable. A 60 point Toews in his prime is well worth the $. The guy controls the game so far beyond points

ok, what? Brady is THE greatest QB of alltime, and arguably the greatest football player of alltime. there isn't a single active hockey player that is comparable to him.

you want to compare Brady to a hockey player, start with someone like Mario Lemieux.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Expensive? Yes. But, if Drai can drive his own line at a 70 point pace we are laughing.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
ok, what? Brady is THE greatest QB of alltime, and arguably the greatest football player of alltime. there isn't a single active hockey player that is comparable to him.

you want to compare Brady to a hockey player, start with someone like Mario Lemieux.

Yeah what? Comparing Brady to Towes isnt even close.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bingo. Draisaitl will be the Oilers #2C going forward.

the coach doesn't make the depth chart based on the salary structure. The only way the GM can change this is by forcing the coach's hand with a trade. As long as RNH is on the team and there isn't another viable alternate 2C, it will always be possible that Drai plays on McDavid's wing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If you stop someone scoring its as good as a point.

Those are the intangibles that pay.

Again, he's not doing it alone, and he's not overwhelmingly special at it, he's just better then average.

It's a situation where Toews is more myth and legend then actual player.

He's not one of the best 100 players of all time, he's not that close actually and he's the most overpaid player in the entire history of the league.

He makes $10.5M a year to be a 50-60 point center who can play defense? So like a not dirty, less offensive Ryan Kesler.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Again, he's not doing it alone, and he's not overwhelmingly special at it, he's just better then average.

It's a situation where Toews is more myth and legend then actual player.

He's not one of the best 100 players of all time, he's not that close actually and he's the most overpaid player in the entire history of the league.

He makes $10.5M a year to be a 50-60 point center who can play defense? So like a not dirty, less offensive Ryan Kesler.

Its a funny thing team sports.

Im pretty sure when you look down the bench and see Toews doing up his skates every player in that room feels like they can win.

And they have.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Its a funny thing team sports.

Im pretty sure when you look down the bench and see Toews doing up his skates every player in that room feels like they can win.

And they have.

So you're convinced they've won because of Toews. I'm convinced the team has won and Toews was there.

He contributed, but so did 30 other players to varying degrees. He's a very good player, but if you need him to be a Legend, go nuts. He's just not that player and extremely overrated and overpaid.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
the coach doesn't make the depth chart based on the salary structure. The only way the GM can change this is by forcing the coach's hand with a trade. As long as RNH is on the team and there isn't another viable alternate 2C, it will always be possible that Drai plays on McDavid's wing.

Drai will likely play on McDavid's wing at times in moments when the team is struggling and needs an offensive kickstart but I fully believe that they intend on starting Drai at #2C and place RNH in a more offensive role alongside a line driver where his responsibility will be lessened because lets be honest, RNH hasn't shown that he's capable of driving his own line.

I personally love the idea of a Lucic-Draisaitl-RNH line. It would be the first time in forever that the Oilers would have a legit scoring 2nd line. I see them starting Strome at #3C.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Drai will likely play on McDavid's wing at times in moments when the team is struggling and needs an offensive kickstart but I fully believe that they intend on starting Drai at #2C and place RNH in a more offensive role alongside a line driver where his responsibility will be lessened because lets be honest, RNH hasn't shown that he's capable of driving his own line.

I personally love the idea of a Lucic-Draisaitl-RNH line. It would be the first time in forever that the Oilers would have a legit scoring 2nd line. I see them starting Strome at #3C.

I would be extremely happy with a lineup like this. Who would you have 1st line RW? Caggiula?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would be extremely happy with a lineup like this. Who would you have 1st line RW? Caggiula?

Yeah, I like Cagguila in that spot but I'm a bigger fan of him than most. I thought he clicked quite well with McDavid last season, has a good nose for the net and the speed to keep up. The coaches love this guy so I think he'll get a shot at some point in the top 6.

I'm sure we'll see many different lineups with so many versatile players.
I think the main pairs outside of occasional in game adjustments will be Maroon-McDavid, Lucic-Draisaitl, Letestu-Kassian and maybe Jokinen-Puljujarvi depending on Pulju's preseason play. RNH, Strome, Cagguila and Slepyshev will shuffle around. Really like the depth of this group even with some question marks and youth on RW.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, I like Cagguila in that spot but I'm a bigger fan of him than most. I thought he clicked quite well with McDavid last season, has a good nose for the net and the speed to keep up. The coaches love this guy so I think he'll get a shot at some point in the top 6.

I'm sure we'll see many different lineups with so many versatile players.
I think the main pairs outside of occasional in game adjustments will be Maroon-McDavid, Lucic-Draisaitl, Letestu-Kassian and maybe Jokinen-Puljujarvi depending on Pulju's preseason play. RNH, Strome, Cagguila and Slepyshev will shuffle around. Really like the depth of this group even with some question marks and youth on RW.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Caggiula is the kind of guy who can start there, but still be moved around the line-up without too much worry if the need for a change is there.

So maybe something like:

Maroon - McDavid - Caggiula
Lucic - Draisaitl - Nuge
Jokinen - Strome - Puljujarvi
Slepyshev - Letestu - Kassian
others, lol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So you're convinced they've won because of Toews. I'm convinced the team has won and Toews was there.

He contributed, but so did 30 other players to varying degrees. He's a very good player, but if you need him to be a Legend, go nuts. He's just not that player and extremely overrated and overpaid.

Did you think Messier was over rated too?

I don't think Toews is as good as the Moose was but I think they are the same type of player bringing many of those similar intangibles you seem to have no use for. I'd be curious to read your thoughts on that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Did you think Messier was over rated too?

I don't think Toews is as good as the Moose was but I think they are the same type of player bringing many of those similar intangibles you seem to have no use for. I'd be curious to read your thoughts on that.

Do you think Messier and Toews are remotely comparable? Messier isn't overrated, because he did both the leading and the scoring. ALOT of scoring.

Edit: Like seriously, Messier is probably (atleast) one of the top-50 players ever. Why do so many of you keep comparing Toews to players in a class where he does not belong? Why not compare him to Jean Béliveau next or Ron Francis. I mean just use Howe as the measuring stick, because it's basically the same BS.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If we're being honest, Toews is basically the current NHL's Kirk Muller, he just has more hype behind him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Muller

and Draisaitl is a lesser version of Jason Arnott.

Comparing Draisaitl to a potential HOFer like Toews is laughable at this point. Without a couple good games vs ANA Draisaitl is hardly a 7M player. Drai is good but maybe we should curb it down for a bit.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
and Draisaitl is a lesser version of Jason Arnott.

Comparing Draisaitl to a potential HOFer like Toews is laughable at this point. Without a couple good games vs ANA Draisaitl is hardly a 7M player. Drai is good but maybe we should curb it down for a bit.

I guess he is then? I mean the markets are different, Leon is an elite (or appears to be) player in the league, so he's expensive.

Toews, is a medium scoring defensive center who gets $10.5M and gets credit for winning his team Stanley Cups, I hope Leon ends up with that problem.

Again, it's like we always talk about Henri Richard being one of the top-5 players in league history because he won himself 10 Stanley Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad