Post-Game Talk: Drai needs to learn how to change.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Going to look at this game from vgk eyes. They are pissed that they outplayed us for most of the game, threw almost 50 shots at our goalie and barely came out with a victory. And gave us a point. If bear doesn't tap that one in to Fleury's pad/chest, vgk lose the game.

Yes it's a shame that we gave them 2 points but considering how poorly we played for such a long stretch of the game, I'm happy we at least got 1 point. The back 30 looked like they started to clue in on how to play hockey again too, so there's that.

Leaving on vacation so I'm reaching for positives before I leave. I'm thinking the Oil clinch a spot before I get back... Hopefully.

Enjoy March y'all and I hope the team picks it up going fwd after that embarrassment.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You are saying he costed the team 1 point as he was throwing the puck in our net...thats not what has happened.
Everybody here would agree that there were maybe a chance of 20% winning the extra point if Drai weren't included in an OT win...to say he has cost us a point as a fact is just not very smart und also not true...I still see the risk he took as okay...Bear had two chances to get him the puck for a 80% guaranteed goal with him and RNH on the rush.

This is the thing that doesn't even get consideration, that Drai going down the ice on a 2 on 1 is a likely goal for us. Which I joked about before is how Drai likes to end his shifts.

3 on 3 is a russian roulette crapshoot mostly. Whole lot of random.

If the Oilers did the same on home ice as other teams and just played 3 back all the time every OT and clicked off the 5 minutes playing for a shootout everybody would be screaming "Release the Kraken, you got McDrai!"

You can't win.

Ever Bear simply advances that puck with the two chances he had we probably win. Didn't happen, too bad.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I keep thinking that last night's OT might be one of the few times where you would have rather had Nurse on the ice instead of Bear, just because of his skating. That's the rub I guess.

Reactions: RegDunlop

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
You are saying he costed the team 1 point as he was throwing the puck in our net...thats not what has happened.
Everybody here would agree that there were maybe a chance of 20% winning the extra point if Drai weren't included in an OT win...to say he has cost us a point as a fact is just not very smart und also not true...I still see the risk he took as okay...Bear had two chances to get him the puck for a 80% guaranteed goal with him and RNH on the rush.

I think the vast... vast... majority of this board would agree the goal Vegas scored was primarily Drai's fault.

He had a TWO MINUTE shift in overtime, and THEN decided not to let his goalie cover the puck... and then skated off screen and left Bear out to dry. Vegas scored almost immediately.

Once that goal was scored the game was over... hence, no chance at getting an extra point.

Not really sure what else you're getting at?

Yes, Drai should be starting overtime and his presence gives them a better chance to win, no one is saying otherwise. Last night he cost them a chance at the extra point.

Reactions: bucks_oil

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
He was out so long I almost posted that mid-shift, on mobile... but figured I'd just watch it happen and save the typing.

Drai's play to ruin Kosko's shutout in the Colombus game was one of the laziest/brain dead plays I've seen in a long time.
I love him. I think most fans do as well to varying degrees but that part of his game kills me. I remember reading in an article about how much he wants to impact the game which is admirable but he needs to learn to trust. If I was a teammate, it would piss me off a lot and I likely wouldn’t feel I could say much about it because I’d probably have 2 points and minus two Athanasiou’s.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
How is the extra point important right now? The Oilers are finishing 2nd place in division. That's what I think is the major probability. Not first, not 3rd, not wild card and certainly are not missing playoffs (well as certain as such things get we're a 96% lock.)

ps I'm old. From a time where 1pts occurred, and I still wish it were that way so take my comments with that grain of salt. I hate extra time except if its play continuance, full players on ice, just like playoffs OT, then I love it..

Living in the past?

Be careful what you wish for. If we were doing the old OT format (no points for losses, and no opportunity for the extra point via SO... game ends in a tie), then we would have 11 less points and Vancouver would have 8 less. So our "non-bubble" team would be sitting tied with Vancouver TODAY with Vancouver having two games at hand.

... so these points definitely mattered to us this season. At present they are the margin of success and would be the margin of error if we manage to miss the playoffs. (I don't believe that we will, but it can still be too close for comfort)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Living in the past?

Be careful what you wish for. If we were doing the old OT format (no points for losses, and no opportunity for the extra point via SO... game ends in a tie), then we would have 11 less points and Vancouver would have 8 less. So our "non-bubble" team would be sitting tied with Vancouver TODAY with Vancouver having two games at hand.

... so these points definitely mattered to us this season. At present they are the margin of success and would be the margin of error if we manage to miss the playoffs. (I don't believe that we will, but it can still be too close for comfort)

When I say old I mean games ending in ties, with each team getting 1pt only, and that's it. Oh, and Defenceman being called "rovers" no wait, it wasn't that long ago.. ;)

my system is better. We would have not lost any ground on Vegas, and the OT would never have occurred, heh

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The way I look at it, we have 3 must win games to finish the season. Tomorrow against Winnipeg to widen the gap between them. End of the month against Vegas if 1st place is still on the line and the last game of the season against Calgary to send a message before the playoffs start.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The way I look at it, we have 3 must win games to finish the season. Tomorrow against Winnipeg to widen the gap between them. End of the month against Vegas if 1st place is still on the line and the last game of the season against Calgary to send a message before the playoffs start.
It is certainly a must win, but Winnipeg is largely irrelevant to Edmonton's playoff hope right now, because only Vancouver can push the Oilers out of the playoffs as things stand right now.

Reactions: McFuhryous

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Going to look at this game from vgk eyes. They are pissed that they outplayed us for most of the game, threw almost 50 shots at our goalie and barely came out with a victory. And gave us a point. If bear doesn't tap that one in to Fleury's pad/chest, vgk lose the game.

Yes it's a shame that we gave them 2 points but considering how poorly we played for such a long stretch of the game, I'm happy we at least got 1 point. The back 30 looked like they started to clue in on how to play hockey again too, so there's that.

Leaving on vacation so I'm reaching for positives before I leave. I'm thinking the Oil clinch a spot before I get back... Hopefully.

Enjoy March y'all and I hope the team picks it up going fwd after that embarrassment.

don't be bringin back the coronavirus on your way back... ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mikko should have just said "nothing specific to say" and left.

Imagine being a hero for 62mins of play across hours, being watched intently 18K in attendance and Millions at home watching every move. Then have to put out careful answers to dumb questions. I thought they weren't doing the media thing anymore, thought we were getting a reprieve..

Reactions: NedPlimpton

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Yes maybe Drai shouldn't have been out that long in overtime, but when the whole team, only gets 4 shot's in the first half of the game, Kostco stands on his head, to even get us to overtime...This is not where the blame should lie..

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Kinda OT, but I had no clue where else to put it:

What is wrong with these guys? It’s like a double down fest of stupid over there.

Reactions: TB12

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Kinda OT, but I had no clue where else to put it:

What is wrong with these guys? It’s like a double down fest of stupid over there.

They should just assign the Stanley Cup to the stat darling team, 'Zona and Carolina would have the dynasties that are owed to them :sarcasm:

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
It’s hilarious how so many people were freaking out about this team having “no chance to make playoffs” in the off-season and during a few lulls throughout this year.

And now the narrative has shifted to “if they play like this they’ll be out in 3 games in the first round” (first 3 will be so bad they’ll just forfeit the last game).

like, it must be exhausting worrying THAT much about a hockey team that doesn’t employ you.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
It’s hilarious how so many people were freaking out about this team having “no chance to make playoffs” in the off-season and during a few lulls throughout this year.

And now the narrative has shifted to “if they play like this they’ll be out in 3 games in the first round” (first 3 will be so bad they’ll just forfeit the last game).

like, it must be exhausting worrying THAT much about a hockey team that doesn’t employ you.
Imagine being emotionally invested in a sports franchise. What would that make you, some kind of fanatic?

Thankfully there's people like us who only visit the forums to let others know having emotions towards sports is stupid!

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Imagine being emotionally invested in a sports franchise. What would that make you, some kind of fanatic?

Thankfully there's people like us who only visit the forums to let others know having emotions towards sports is stupid!
Someones triggered. I, too, am invested in the Oilers. Obviously. I don’t cry the sky is falling as often as some do on here. Not sure why you feel so personally attacked by my comment.

we’ve gone from people thinking NO chance they make the dance. To looking like a great certainty they do make it. Which will hopefully silence the “if Oilers miss playoffs again, Connor will want out”crowd. I’m enjoying that, even if I get frustrated at the way they play sometimes. Doesn’t mean I’m going to start worrying about how that’ll affect the playoffs. You cheer or be negative the way you want. Doesn’t mean I’m not going to laugh at those freaking out about every minor thing.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Someones triggered. I, too, am invested in the Oilers. Obviously. I don’t cry the sky is falling as often as some do on here. Not sure why you feel so personally attacked by my comment.

we’ve gone from people thinking NO chance they make the dance. To looking like a great certainty they do make it. Which will hopefully silence the “if Oilers miss playoffs again, Connor will want out”crowd. I’m enjoying that, even if I get frustrated at the way they play sometimes. Doesn’t mean I’m going to start worrying about how that’ll affect the playoffs. You cheer or be negative the way you want. Doesn’t mean I’m not going to laugh at those freaking out about every minor thing.
So because you choose to look at it from a positive perspective regardless of what negative signs are present, you're somehow entitled to a laugh at the expense of the people who see the negative trends and don't dismiss them?

Some fans are pessimistic, some fans are optimistic, and some are in between. It's one thing to rag on the conspiracy theorists who pretend the team is out to get them, but it's another to pretend you're a better fan than the person who's worried that the team has been playing awful lately and it might impact their playoff performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad