Post-Game Talk: Drai needs to learn how to change.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
The way I look at it, we have 3 must win games to finish the season. Tomorrow against Winnipeg to widen the gap between them. End of the month against Vegas if 1st place is still on the line and the last game of the season against Calgary to send a message before the playoffs start.

You want to be in a situation against the Flames in game 82 to be a meaningless game where you can rest your key guys.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I love him. I think most fans do as well to varying degrees but that part of his game kills me. I remember reading in an article about how much he wants to impact the game which is admirable but he needs to learn to trust. If I was a teammate, it would piss me off a lot and I likely wouldn’t feel I could say much about it because I’d probably have 2 points and minus two Athanasiou’s.

I love Leon Draisaitl

But I don't give a f**k who you are, when you CONSISTANTLY overextend your shifts - your teammates are getting pissed. Guaranteed. That's coming if this keeps up.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kinda OT, but I had no clue where else to put it:

What is wrong with these guys? It’s like a double down fest of stupid over there.

These guys are incredibly irrelevant. They are numbers guys who know so very very little about hockey and use their "advanced stats" to show that all their points are true facts.

Don't know why anyone cares what they think.

Reactions: fuswald

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
These guys are incredibly irrelevant. They are numbers guys who know so very very little about hockey and use their "advanced stats" to show that all their points are true facts.

Don't know why anyone cares what they think.
It is amazing how stats can be used to fit a point of view. So many variables can be Cherry (Not Don) picked.
I bet with enough data to pick from McDavid actually is no good.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I love Leon Draisaitl

But I don't give a f**k who you are, when you CONSISTANTLY overextend your shifts - your teammates are getting pissed. Guaranteed. That's coming if this keeps up.

Nuge slammed his stick down in frustration after he and Bear tried to thwart a 3 on 2 while Drai was standing back at centre waiting for a pass instead of either getting off the ice or coming back for support. Not implying Nuge was pissed at anyone in particular, but you have to feel for him, after skating his ass off and then basically playing a man short for 30 seconds.

Reactions: RegDunlop and HK97

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Gregor just had a good point.
could you imagine the outcry if that was Nurse in OT that played like Bear...

That IMO is another example of Gregor not thinking something through.
Nurse isnt a rookie.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
When I say old I mean games ending in ties, with each team getting 1pt only, and that's it. Oh, and Defenceman being called "rovers" no wait, it wasn't that long ago.. ;)

my system is better. We would have not lost any ground on Vegas, and the OT would never have occurred, heh

Seriously... "old" means no overtime at all? That's not old, it's ancient ;)

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Nuge slammed his stick down in frustration after he and Bear tried to thwart a 3 on 2 while Drai was standing back at centre waiting for a pass instead of either getting off the ice or coming back for support. Not implying Nuge was pissed at anyone in particular, but you have to feel for him, after skating his ass off and then basically playing a man short for 30 seconds.
Yeah like I'm sure Nuge was incensed at the player that has been involved in the best half season of his career.

Don't think theres anything to see here. Nuges was upset because they got scored against and lost. Pointing fingers at teammates isn't a big thing in hockey.

That's not what it was.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I love Leon Draisaitl

The bolded absolutely isn't coming. yeah, as if the whole team is going to get angry at the team MVP for his play. You guarantee that? Its a silly thing to state. it just means YOU are angry at the sequence. Trust me his team mates won't be.

You take the good and the bad with players, nobody is perfect. For sure no teammate is calling out the player who is the reason they are in a playoff spot.

The what have you done for me lately posts on this board are incredible.

Like I keep saying. Fans have two options. Enjoy great players, be grateful for their season long or career long contributions, or choose the approach of an ingrate.

Yeah Leon did some dumb things in a OT period. But he's a great player, more often than not he's making a solid contribution so you move on. you can't even say it was a bad game from him. It was a questionable two minutes by a player that is exhausted and NEVER misses a game. RNH, Nuge, Klef, Yama, ect have all had extended times off. Drai is ALWAYS playing. Maybe appreciate that as well.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The bolded absolutely isn't coming. yeah, as if the whole team is going to get angry at the team MVP for his play.

You take the good and the bad with players, nobody is perfect. For sure no teammate is calling out the player who is the reason they are in a playoff spot.

Like I keep saying. Fans have two options. Enjoy great players, be grateful for their season long or career long contributions, or choose the approach of an ingrate.

Yeah Leon did some dumb things in a OT period. But he's a great player, more often than not he's making a solid contribution so you move on. you can't even say it was a bad game from him. It was a questionable two minutes by a player that is exhausted and NEVER misses a game. RNH, Nuge, Klef, Yama, ect have all had extended times off. Drai is ALWAYS playing.

Disagree, this leads to a poor and inconsistent culture. You shouldn't basically say, because you're better than most players that you're allowed to do stupid and irresponsible things knowingly. Double standards. Not good for team cohesion and buy in overall.

I think this is why most consistently good teams have those stars or leaders that abide by the culture even though they are better. And i think a lot of teams don't start to become great consistently and champions until their stars and leaders fully buy in.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Disagree, this leads to a poor and inconsistent culture. You shouldn't basically say, because you're better than most players that you're allowed to do stupid and irresponsible things knowingly. Double standards. Not good for team cohesion and buy in overall.

I think this is why most consistently good teams have those stars or leaders that abide by the culture even though they are better. And i think a lot of teams don't start to become great consistently and champions until their stars and leaders fully buy in.

Exhausted players make mistakes, they make errors in judgement. Will Tippett find a good way to have a word about shift length with Drai/mcD? at some point. Will he make a big deal about it or tear into the players for it? Of course not.

The suggestions I responded to was that players were somehow going to be mad at Draisaitl. That ain't happening.

lets keep in mind Draisaitl is the best example of self improvement in hockey, in hockey, in the whole world. Nothing wrong with Leons attitude or anything. he just isn't perfect.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Exhausted players make mistakes, they make errors in judgement. Will Tippett find a good way to have a word about shift length with Drai/mcD? at some point. Will he make a big deal about it or tear into the players for it? Of course not.

The suggestions I responded to was that players were somehow going to be mad at Draisaitl. That ain't happening.

lets keep in mind Draisaitl is the best example of self improvement in hockey, in hockey, in the whole world. Nothing wrong with Leons attitude or anything. he just isn't perfect.

There is a bit of the attitude that you're above the team when you do things like that or make bad cheating/lack of effort mistakes and feel like you're allowed to because you've "scored more". This attitude can rub teammates the wrong way and is not good to have as one of the leaders.

Leon and Connor have been taking far too long a shift even in regulation for a long time now. They got better with that in the middle of the year and is generally not much of an issue anymore except for overtime. Hopefully they continue to learn and grow. Leon and Connor aren't perfect but they can sure the heck be a lot better in certain areas and need to learn those lessons a bit quicker than they have other lessons.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is a bit of the attitude that you're above the team when you do things like that or make bad cheating/lack of effort mistakes and feel like you're allowed to because you've "scored more". This attitude can rub teammates the wrong way and is not good to have as one of the leaders.

Leon and Connor have been taking far too long a shift even in regulation for a long time now. They got better with that in the middle of the year and is generally not much of an issue anymore except for overtime. Hopefully they continue to learn and grow. Leon and Connor aren't perfect but they can sure the heck be a lot better in certain areas and need to learn those lessons a bit quicker than they have other lessons.
To be entirely fair here.
Every coach they have had recently has given them long shifts and overplayed them. Especially in overtime.
Yes Draisaitl should of left the ice, but it's not like he did it for selfish reasons. He is used to being relied upon heavily in those moments without the coach bringing him off. It's a habit now and says nothing about his character other than he wants to help this team win and will kill himself to do it

Was it a mistake? Yes.
Did it cost us the extra point? Perhaps.
Should he be shit on as much as he has over it? Nahhh

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
To be entirely fair here.
Every coach they have had recently has given them long shifts and overplayed them. Especially in overtime.
Yes Draisaitl should of left the ice, but it's not like he did it for selfish reasons. He is used to being relied upon heavily in those moments without the coach bringing him off. It's a habit now and says nothing about his character other than he wants to help this team win and will kill himself to do it

Was it a mistake? Yes.
Did it cost us the extra point? Perhaps.
Should he be shit on as much as he has over it? Nahhh

I agree that this isolated incident might not warrant as much slagging but i think i see it overall as things i've seen for some time now... not just the shift length. it's more the attitude of being above the team or not having to abide by the rules or team buy in becuase you're different and special.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree that this isolated incident might not warrant as much slagging but i think i see it overall as things i've seen for some time now... not just the shift length. it's more the attitude of being above the team or not having to abide by the rules or team buy in becuase you're different and special.
When you get treated that way for the past season and a half cause you were one of 2 players with a constant pulse can you blame him or McDavid? It's going to take a bit for them to get over literally having to do it all themselves

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
When you get treated that way for the past season and a half cause you were one of 2 players with a constant pulse can you blame him or McDavid? It's going to take a bit for them to get over literally having to do it all themselves

In a way, ya i can. But in another way they are young. I've said this before, a good while ago, that I think it did get to a point where they were too heavily relied upon and i think other players suffered because of it. Noone else really got any opportunity or even looked upon to score. I think as the year went along that attitude changed and i think those players started to flourish better with more opportunity. it was a bit of a catch-22. They didn't score so they didn't get the opportunity, they can't develop confidence and find their game until they get more and consistent opportunity to push through.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Sounds like they've hopefully keyed in on the issue lately and some video and practice will hopefully fix it.

Really like those answers from him. It's really nice the team seems to understand what's going on, no more "being surprised" about what's happening with the team.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The bolded absolutely isn't coming. yeah, as if the whole team is going to get angry at the team MVP for his play. You guarantee that? Its a silly thing to state. it just means YOU are angry at the sequence. Trust me his team mates won't be.

Yeah Leon did some dumb things in a OT period. But he's a great player, more often than not he's making a solid contribution so you move on. you can't even say it was a bad game from him. It was a questionable two minutes by a player that is exhausted and NEVER misses a game. RNH, Nuge, Klef, Yama, ect have all had extended times off. Drai is ALWAYS playing. Maybe appreciate that as well.

Cmon
You're better than this. You been watching and enjoying hockey for prob close to 50 years no?
You can't be serious thinking everyones happy go lucky while trying to figure out when they get on the ice.
Leon's much better too. He should realize and correct the situation himself.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Cmon
You're better than this. You been watching and enjoying hockey for prob close to 50 years no?
You can't be serious thinking everyones happy go lucky while trying to figure out when they get on the ice.
Leon's much better too. He should realize and correct the situation himself.

Theres no way players, are, or will be angry at Leon as you suggested. Look back at your post and its elevated reaction.

Look, I get that fans get frustrated at players. But to me it was ALWAYS a bad look for fans to be critical of Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey etc. There was always some fans that would, but I would call it out then just as I am now.

I look at players like that as gifts. My preference is to enjoy those gifts.

Where we've always differed on this is I consider greatness differently, and I'm beholden to it, I refuse to cross examination greatness. Great players do their service over and above. I'm grateful if we have some players like that. I don't keep clamoring for the greatest players in the game to get greater..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->