Post-Game Talk: Drai needs to learn how to change.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
But all that aside Drai is one of the best conditioned athletes in hockey. As seemingly crazy as it is he probably thought he had some juice left and was still capable of a lethal rush. I don't doubt it. Not sure if you;ve noticed it but Drai will sometimes essentially make it look like he's out of gas on a shift, just to throw off coverage. He'll then lean into a burner skate trying to strip the D. Drai feigns being spent on shifts. He did twice earlier in the game. Its a trick he uses.

Useless? Drai on one leg is better than anybody but one player on this team.

He could barely stand up playing defense, I don't think he was trying to trick anyone unless having bad coverage and allowing the opponent to have offensive chances are part of the trick.

I know you hate to see him criticized, but go back and watch the goal Colombus scored, just brain dead lazy hockey. He sure doesn't skate like someone that's very well conditioned.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Current Oilers map to success:
LAHXUgd.jpg

BtGElRs

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He could barely stand up playing defense, I don't think he was trying to trick anyone unless having bad coverage and allowing the opponent to have offensive chances are part of the trick.

I know you hate to see him criticized, but go back and watch the goal Colombus scored, just brain dead lazy hockey. He sure doesn't skate like someone that's very well conditioned.

He and McD are the best conditioned players on this team. Sorry, that's what it is. Both work much harder in offseasons than any other player and threes several accounts of what those players do in their offseasons.

Did Drai make a dumb play with 1 minute left in Columbus game? Certainly.

Does it matter to him? Not in the slightest. Drai, in his own words doesnlt give a toss about personal accolades, individual stats. Only winning matters. Such a player probably doesn't get why a shutout could be considered important, and really it isn't. Its a 3 goal lead and he's doing dumb shit with the puck and loses it. He was just playing out the minute. His team mates may try to explain to him why a shutout is important. He probably doesn't get it.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
This is one area we won't agree on. I'm a purist. My take on extra time is that its garbage. Shoot outs are garbage, 3 on 3 is garbage and I've been remarkably consistent on that since the inception. I don't like the formats, they hold negligible value, they are fortunately not part of playoffs and its no real reason for worry.

Heres the deal. The Oilers will finish 2nd in division. I'm pretty confident of that, and that they won't be first, and they won't be 3rd, and they won't be wild card. Thus me saying the point is immaterial. Really all the Oilers could expect out of that game is zero points and somehow they got one.

No quality coach practices this format to much extent or loses any sleep over it. Extra points are not all that important. Only for bubble clubs. The oilers are not that this year, which is a pretty good state of affairs.

This is certainly not a coaching failure. As I mentioned its coaching failure to put much importance on 3 on 3 or shootout vs proper focus on 5 on 5 and special teams which constitute what hockey is.
Extra points are not all that important? Such a bad take. The goal is 2 points every game, doesn’t matter how you get them as long as you do in fact get them.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Extra points are not all that important? Such a bad take. The goal is 2 points every game, doesn’t matter how you get them as long as you do in fact get them.

How is the extra point important right now? The Oilers are finishing 2nd place in division. That's what I think is the major probability. Not first, not 3rd, not wild card and certainly are not missing playoffs (well as certain as such things get we're a 96% lock.)

So situationally does it matter? Do you think the Oilers deserved 2 pts. I know this team, I know how much they can get false reassurance. Gaining 2 pts in an ugly performance like this is ultimately counter productive. (yeah strange thing to state) But remember what McLellan stated. That the coaching moments with this team is only when they lose. Food for thought. By losing the Oilers will have a better practice today and will learn more. Ultimately what matters more headed into the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't want them spending 15mins of a 80minute practice on what happens in extra time. I want zero minutes on that.

ps I'm old. From a time where 1pts occurred, and I still wish it were that way so take my comments with that grain of salt. I hate extra time except if its play continuance, full players on ice, just like playoffs OT, then I love it..

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
When this team does its best work its when they all take short shifts and rotate 4 lines. Yes use the commercial time outs to get the top two lines out there and extra shift here or there, but get everyone involved. That game against Boston where everyone worked their asses off while we were decimated by injuries only worked because they relied on each other. Yesterday was a different story and the team looked very tired lately but the same principles apply 3 on 3.

The only time McDrai get in trouble is when they try to do too much. Long shifts also only magnify the situation later on in the game. No one is disputing Drai is in top notch shape and our roster leaves something to be desired depth wise, but there were about 17 other options that would be better than the "exhausted long shift Drai". And they were all sitting on the bench. Teams in OT now just tire McDrai for two minutes then change their players and take advantage.

Watching Drai he seems to be more of a 2 rushes and get off the ice type of player. He starts doing weird stuff when he gets tired and its also very obvious when he is tired. McD and RNH seem to be able to perform better when they get stuck out there on a long shift....or they just mask it much better. Drai looks like he is one step from collapsing when he gets out there too long.

Oh well we got a point. Team looks like a combination fo fatigue and flu. Or I hope it is. Otherwise if we make the dance we are going to get booted pretty quick.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When this team does its best work its when they all take short shifts and rotate 4 lines. Yes use the commercial time outs to get the top two lines out there and extra shift here or there, but get everyone involved. That game against Boston where everyone worked their asses off while we were decimated by injuries only worked because they relied on each other. Yesterday was a different story and the team looked very tired lately but the same principles apply 3 on 3.

The only time McDrai get in trouble is when they try to do too much. Long shifts also only magnify the situation later on in the game. No one is disputing Drai is in top notch shape and our roster leaves something to be desired depth wise, but there were about 17 other options that would be better than the "exhausted long shift Drai". And they were all sitting on the bench. Teams in OT now just tire McDrai for two minutes then change their players and take advantage.

Watching Drai he seems to be more of a 2 rushes and get off the ice type of player. He starts doing weird stuff when he gets tired and its also very obvious when he is tired. McD and RNH seem to be able to perform better when they get stuck out there on a long shift....or they just mask it much better. Drai looks like he is one step from collapsing when he gets out there too long.

Oh well we got a point. Team looks like a combination fo fatigue and flu. Or I hope it is. Otherwise if we make the dance we are going to get booted pretty quick.

What should occur is the Boston "Gahdens" technique. When things aren't going right pull the breakers and have absolute darkness. Tell the NHL punters it was another power failure. Resume game when brewing, I mean bruin catastrophe is temporarily avoided. Oh, and make sure to throw a bucket of rats in the opponent bench and dressing room. Just for Boston hospitality and atmosphere you understand..

I'm just posting this reply for levity. But it would've been funny, and I would have lol if the power went out the moment Drai was drowning out there at 2mins and counting. Would loved to have seen the reaction from the Knights and the NHL. If you aren't cheating you aren't trying hard enough..;)

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
How is the extra point important right now? The Oilers are finishing 2nd place in division. That's what I think is the major probability. Not first, not 3rd, not wild card and certainly are not missing playoffs (well as certain as such things get we're a 96% lock.)

So situationally does it matter? Do you think the Oilers deserved 2 pts. I know this team, I know how much they can get false reassurance. Gaining 2 pts in an ugly performance like this is ultimately counter productive. (yeah strange thing to state) But remember what McLellan stated. That the coaching moments with this team is only when they lose. Food for thought. By losing the Oilers will have a better practice today and will learn more. Ultimately what matters more headed into the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't want them spending 15mins of a 80minute practice on what happens in extra time. I want zero minutes on that.

ps I'm old. From a time where 1pts occurred, and I still wish it were that way so take my comments with that grain of salt. I hate extra time except if its play continuance, full players on ice, just like playoffs OT, then I love it..

points are points, They may not have been "deserving" of the single but the tender put them in a position to compete for the 2nd one. Drai played stupid games in ot and won a stupid prize. Deserved or not they had the opportunity to claim 2. There is no need to spend 15 practice minutes on OT play. show them a stopwatch and reiterate it better not make a full revolution before their ass is back on the bench.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd rather us finish 2nd and play Calgary in the 1st round instead of finishing 1st and playing one of Minnesota, Nashville or Winnipeg. I think Calgary is an easier matchup then the Central teams plus a BOA will be epic.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Does it matter to him? Not in the slightest. Drai, in his own words doesnlt give a toss about personal accolades, individual stats. Only winning matters. Such a player probably doesn't get why a shutout could be considered important, and really it isn't. Its a 3 goal lead and he's doing dumb shit with the puck and loses it. He was just playing out the minute. His team mates may try to explain to him why a shutout is important. He probably doesn't get it.

Literally no NHL player "says" they care about personal stats.

Drai cares as much as anyone else, he literally said his 4 goal game against Nashville was special and meaningful to him in the post-game. He doesn't have some anomalous mindset that makes him different from any other player.

Beyond that, I don't believe for a second that he doesn't care about a shutout for his teammate who just worked his ass off and won them the game - that's downright silly.

It wasn't a 3 goal lead - it was a 2 goal lead and they had JUST gotten any lead whatsoever three minutes earlier. Trying not to be a smart ass and say, "Did you watch the game?"... but I'm wondering if you watched the game.

I'm sure in another breath you'd quantify him as highly competitive, maybe the type of player that doesn't like being directly responsible for goals? Or letting down his teammates? Or like, losing a game in overtime and possibly costing the team a point?

His lazy play with a two goal lead was just as brain dead as his shift last night. One ended up costing a shutout (even a meaningless shutout, if you'd like), the other cost the team a point and made him look silly and selfish.

I realize you're a big fan, but man some of those takes seem a little convenient and naive at best.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Drai cares as much as anyone else, he literally said his 4 goal game against Nashville was special and meaningful to him in the post-game. He doesn't have some anomalous mindset that makes him different from any other player.

Beyond that, I don't believe for a second that he doesn't care about a shutout for his teammate who just worked his ass off and won them the game - that's downright silly.

It wasn't a 3 goal lead - it was a 2 goal lead and they had JUST gotten any lead whatsoever three minutes earlier. Trying not to be a smart ass and say, "Did you watch the game?"... but I'm wondering if you watched the game.

I'm sure in another breath you'd quantify him as highly competitive, maybe the type of player that doesn't like being directly responsible for goals? Or letting down his teammates? Or like, losing a game in overtime and possibly costing the team a point?

His lazy play with a two goal lead was just as brain dead as his shift last night. One ended up costing a shutout (even a meaningless shutout, if you'd like), the other cost the team a point and made him look silly and selfish.

I realize you're a big fan, but man some of those takes seem a little convenient and naive at best.

"His lazy play"

C'mon. Drai deserves a bit more respect than that. He's earned that. its the way I look at it.

Like I said last night theres two ways to approach excellent players and appreciate what they giving us.

One can choose to be greatful, or an ingrate. Its how I look at it.

I don't critique greatness as a rule. I don't say "you know Monet, I don't like that painting, what were you thinking".

McD and Drai are the best players 90% of this board have ever seen. Just enjoy it without sweating the small stuff and getting worked up over it. These are fantastic players.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Sorry to reply twice but I just saw this part and don't know what you mean. The Oilers had a 3-0 lead against Columbus, thus 3 goal lead when Drai made the stupid play. The game was over, as I stated. What game are you thinking of?

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Sorry to reply twice but I just saw this part and don't know what you mean. The Oilers had a 3-0 lead against Columbus, thus 3 goal lead when Drai made the stupid play. The game was over, as I stated. What game are you thinking of?

Yep, you're right there. I even looked at the box score and somehow did the math wrong.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
can we just talk about tomorrows game now

I hope we smash Winnipeg. I dunno why but I really hate that franchise. I want them out of the playoffs and I want us to blow a hole in their playoff hopes tomorrow.

Hopefully the guys have a good practice today, work out some of their recent issues and come ready to play tomorrow.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018

You are saying he costed the team 1 point as he was throwing the puck in our net...thats not what has happened.
Everybody here would agree that there were maybe a chance of 20% winning the extra point if Drai weren't included in an OT win...to say he has cost us a point as a fact is just not very smart und also not true...I still see the risk he took as okay...Bear had two chances to get him the puck for a 80% guaranteed goal with him and RNH on the rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad