Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
PL Dubios is nothing to be disappointed over. 42 goals 99 points in 62 games, comparisons to Hossa/Benn. I think hed not really that far off for Puljarvi (but there is a gap). I think he is a Hall level prospect TBH. The top 3 being so good and so hyped as really left a guy like Dubios really underrated

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
There is some rumours here Finland with Kekäläinen that he is not gonna draft Finnish player. So there might be even change that Puljujärvi ends up to be free for Edmonton. We will see.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There is some rumours here Finland with Kekäläinen that he is not gonna draft Finnish player. So there might be even change that Puljujärvi ends up to be free for Edmonton. We will see.

If he passes on Puljujarvi at #3, he should be fired.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
My thoughts on the draft lotto:

Its actually turned out well. Toronto embarrassed themselves and their brand to tank so horribly. After such a spectacle they deserve the top pick.

Winnipeg- I dont mind them and good on them. Theyll be a very good team soon

Columbus- another solid choice for 3rd

Oilers ended up in a justified 4th. 4th is still a great spot, still great prospects. But 4th is more tradeable than 1st or 2nd IMO, even if we get less for it. Hard to get FV for 2nd overall (few teams will trade equivalant for it). But GMs may trade FV for 4th overall

4th overall still puts us in Dubios area. Still hope for a Dubios++ trade for Subban

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You'd think he has to be close to being fired anyway.

Maybe, I think injuries and bad luck struck them a bit. And I don't mind the moves he's made (Johansen I don't love, but the rest are alright), but I mean passing on Puljujarvi (or possibly even Laine) at #3 is totally a fire-able offense, imo.

There are some other good players in this draft, but the top-3 are a clear top-3.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
PL Dubios is nothing to be disappointed over. 42 goals 99 points in 62 games, comparisons to Hossa/Benn. I think hed not really that far off for Puljarvi (but there is a gap). I think he is a Hall level prospect TBH. The top 3 being so good and so hyped as really left a guy like Dubios really underrated

the difference between Puljujarvi and PLD or Tkachuk is that Puljarvi is a "plug-and-play" player...he's playing in the NHL next year
he's played in a professional men's league while PLD and Tkachuk are still playing against juniors their own age...thus, theyh're probably a year away from playing in the NHL

doesn't mean PLD can't be just as good Puljujarvi in 5 years

it's just too bad he's not a right-shot winger....would eventually replace Eberle should we trade him

as for Toronto winning the lottery...I'm fine with it. Mathews is going to the East and now FINALLY they can stop crying about us getting McDavid, or that the lottery system is broken

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
If he passes on Puljujarvi at #3, he should be fired.

It would be great for us though. The Columbus went for Dubios or something, you'd have to think some GM with a head scout barking in his ear would jump at the chance to draft Puljujarvi.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
the difference between Puljarvi and PLD or Tkachuk is that Puljarvi is a "plug-and-play" player...he's playing in the NHL next year
he's played in a professional men's league while PLD and Tkachuk are still playing against juniors their own age...thus, theyh're probably a year away from playing in the NHL

doesn't mean PLD can't be just as good Puljarvi in 5 years

it's just too bad he's not a right-shot winger....would eventually replace Eberle should we trade him

as for Toronto winning the lottery...I'm fine with it. Mathews is going to the East and now FINALLY they can stop crying about us getting McDavid, or that the lottery system is broken

Nah, they'll cry that McDavid is destined to be a Leaf because he's a Leaf fan. Blah Blah Blah. Toronto will never be satisfied.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It would be great for us though. The Columbus went for Dubios or something, you'd have to think some GM with a head scout barking in his ear would jump at the chance to draft Puljujarvi.

Yeah, if you're Chiarelli and crew, you Run to the podium if Puljujarvi is still there.

I would think if Columbus likes Dubois because he's a center, I would expect a trade down to atleast add some extra assets.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, if you're Chiarelli and crew, you Run to the podium if Puljujarvi is still there.

I would think if Columbus likes Dubois because he's a center, I would expect a trade down to atleast add some extra assets.

I would hope Chia wouldn't do that. I'd hope he wait by the phone until the last possible second and field offers for the pick.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
the difference between Puljujarvi and PLD or Tkachuk is that Puljarvi is a "plug-and-play" player...he's playing in the NHL next year

doesn't mean PLD can't be just as good Puljujarvi in 5 years

Yup, Toronto winning the lotto kinda sucks because media will be stroking themselves for hours on end because of Matthews and the future "elite" core. But honestly, I rarely watch TSN or Sportsnet on TV anyway, all on web so I can pick and choose what segments to watch. And them getting it is way, way better than Calgary/Vancouver or a Western team

I could see Puljarvi easily in NHL next year, but I could also see Dubios. I think his tools are great too and enough to wonder if he could surpass Pulj in 5 years

I wonder if theres a trade up option for Oilers and Columbus? If they want a center, and we want a big physical RW. I wouldnt trade up that much, but maybe 4th + 2nd for 3rd overall + 4th round pick

Or 4th overall + Yak for 3rd overall + Savard

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe, I think injuries and bad luck struck them a bit. And I don't mind the moves he's made (Johansen I don't love, but the rest are alright), but I mean passing on Puljujarvi (or possibly even Laine) at #3 is totally a fire-able offense, imo.

There are some other good players in this draft, but the top-3 are a clear top-3.

At some point they need results, they were having financial issues in the past. Can't see them being able to afford yet another year without the playoffs. I think he has until x-mas and if the team is out of the picture he's a goner.

I'd be very curious what happens if Hitch gets canned. Does Davidson hire a guy he had once before in a new coach/gm position that seems to be the new way for some high end coaches.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Found this quote from a scout that someone posted on the mainboards regarding Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Pretty high praise, but that's the type of player I see him being as well and why I like him so much.

I live here in Nova Scotia and I talked to a fella in December and he told me to keep an eye on Dubois. That is when he was not even in the top 10 rankings. He just keeps getting better and he carried the Cape Breton team. One thing he has that you cannot teach is size. It should be noted that he has a mean streak as well. In 5 years, the kid will be 6'3" and 220 lbs. He plays a good defensive game as well.

I just think that Chia will go to Tkachuk if we decide to keep the pick. I am just worried that we will get burnt because Tkachuk is playing on a very good line. Seems very similar to the Gagner situation when we drafted him. He was fortunate to play with Kane. Kills me to see what we could have had in the draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Edmonton should trade 4th pick + RNH to St. Louis for Shatty.

Chiarelli should be immediatly fired because my god that is horrible

Either 4th overall or RNH not both

Pending UFA, not a #1, could command 8M. No thanks to both

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm just curious why some people are convinced that Chiarelli would like Tkachuk over Dubois? Did he say something?

I have limited viewings on both players, but I think Dubois seems more like a Chiarelli type player.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Yes. Not to mention the very strong rumour that Shattenkirk wants to be on the east coast close to home.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm just curious why some people are convinced that Chiarelli would like Tkachuk over Dubois? Did he say something?

I have limited viewings on both players, but I think Dubois seems more like a Chiarelli type player.

After all these years we've come to expect the worst? :dunno:

Anyways, the only reason I can imagine is that Mike Chiarelli, Peter's brother, is now one of the Oilers OHL scouts and, if he is pro-Tkachuk, he may have more inside influence than our QMJHL scout (should Dubois and Tkachuk be considered equal). To be clear, this remains pure speculation.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth

Shattenkirk is an elit right-handed d-man available for trade. Don't think Oilers can find better.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Shattenkirk is an elit right-handed d-man available for trade. Don't think Oilers can find better.

For 4th overall and RNH they sure as hell better find a better option than a pending UFA. That would land Subban, who is way better and a guarantee to be on the Oilers for next 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad