Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Someone made an interesting point, if the Oilers had one their three consecutive 1OA picks 2007-2009 instead of 2010-2012, they'd have Kane, Stamkos, and Tavares. I'd rather have one of those guys than the three picks the oilers got.

Bad timing except for the McDavid pick.

It's always about Timing....... :handclap: not how many 1st overalls its when, personally think that Matthews is being overrated big time now, that he is going to Media Hell being T.O. :nod:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
It's always about Timing....... :handclap: not how many 1st overalls its when, personally think that Matthews is being overrated big time now, that he is going to Media Hell being T.O. :nod:

This is exactly right - how badly is Edmonton getting lambasted over getting all these 1st overall picks, when in those years the 1st overalls were maybe #3-5 picks in the deep draft years. Yes, they screwed up their development to some extent by poor management of the team, but we certainly don't have any Stamkos or Kane out of the deal.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Someone made an interesting point, if the Oilers had one their three consecutive 1OA picks 2007-2009 instead of 2010-2012, they'd have Kane, Stamkos, and Tavares. I'd rather have one of those guys than the three picks the oilers got.

Bad timing except for the McDavid pick.

It is true, but the McDavid pick is a big exception. We ended up tanking when there was 3 average to less than average first overalls. However, even it out and McDavid averages out our first over alls to be pretty good.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Hindsight is 20 20, 1 goal made the difference from us drafting Patrick Kane. I am fine with the way things turned out, Mcjesus heals all wounds.

A goal scored by Danny Syvret in a meaningless BOA.

Man, that pick hurt us in more ways than one...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Are the Islanders at least including a jar of vaseline for bending us over?

Hamonic is a no.2 D who brings less offence than Sekera does. We are still the lowest scoring blue line in the NHL by a lot.

Some Oiler fans have totally built this guy up to be way more than he is like a guy who's losing his mind over an average looking girl because he hasn't had a date in two years.

I have no delusions of Harmonic being more than a 2/3 guy but he is a guy who would improve our team significantly.

He isn't worth what I proposed but those are assets that we will not miss imo, overpay or not.

Sometimes you got to give more to get what you need.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Tkachuk with a really good postseason so far with 2.36 Points per game
I believe McDavid had 2.45 Points per game in the playoffs last year
The only question is, is Tkachuk "Gagner"ing his way to #4 overall?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Odds are someone will bust so trade the pick.

If no good offer is there then take Dubois, IMO.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
What does this even mean?

it means id rather have an established defender next season and hopefully knock the late rounds out of the park again.

I'd need to check some "facts" but I think there is a chance top 5 picks bust. Probably smaller chance then I may have insinuated. :naughty:

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Tkatchuk is the guy I want. Gritty winger with great bloodlines, plays hard like he wants to win. Opposite of a few of the current floaters. I'm not completely sold on any of the DMen at 4, so trade down to 10 if you want Sergachev, Juolevi, Chychrun - one will be there still. Tkatchuk or move the pick in a package... I love seeing players excel in the playoffs like he is this year - putting the hammer down when his team needs him. Great quality.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
This is good, no more forwards. Jakob Chychrun come on down. Time to finally grow our own true #1D which is essentially the only way to get one. Who cares if he's 22-23 when he's ready for that role. Everyone except Eberle will be entering/in their prime.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Canuck fan here. What's the likelihood of your GM taking Dubois #4? Has your GM expressed much interest in him over other guys around this area? I know you're desperate for D, but does it sound like you guys are really high enough on Juolevi to go with him?

Is there consideration for picking Dubois and playing him as a winger, or does the fact that he's a C make him an unlikely Oiler pick?

I'm crossing my fingers for Dubois to fall to 5 somehow.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Canuck fan here. What's the likelihood of your GM taking Dubois #4? Has your GM expressed much interest in him over other guys around this area? I know you're desperate for D, but does it sound like you guys are really high enough on Juolevi to go with him?

Is there consideration for picking Dubois and playing him as a winger, or does the fact that he's a C make him an unlikely Oiler pick?

I'm crossing my fingers for Dubois to fall to 5 somehow.

I fully expect the Oilers to trade the pick to a team looking for a big C.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Chiarelli's first draft lottery, and not only does he not win 1st overall, he drops down 2 spots! Fire this chump. The Oilers built up a winning culture throughout the past number of years against all odds and this guy ruins it in just one season. Unacceptable.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Have zero desire in a forward after the top 3 picks. Defenseman of some sort if we're forced to keep the pick.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Tkatchuk is the guy I want. Gritty winger with great bloodlines, plays hard like he wants to win. Opposite of a few of the current floaters. I'm not completely sold on any of the DMen at 4, so trade down to 10 if you want Sergachev, Juolevi, Chychrun - one will be there still. Tkatchuk or move the pick in a package... I love seeing players excel in the playoffs like he is this year - putting the hammer down when his team needs him. Great quality.

Can Tkatchuk one-time a pass? Really miss having a forward that can do that and if Yak is traded, there will be absolutely a need for this attribute in a forward.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's a shame all three top d are left shot... Maybe we are best to trade down and take a righty.

Would you turn down a deal for OEL? Because that may be the type of dman your passing on in Sergachev. If his game transitions he's going to be a very coveted dman in the league.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Just looking at the D drafted from 3 teams since 1995.
Player (NHL games)

Windsor Spitfires: Cam Fowler (421), Ryan Ellis (289), Jesse Blacker (1), Mike Weber (352), Tim Gleason (727), D.J. Smith (45)

(Projected #6) LD Mikhail Sergachev, Windsor Spitfires (OHL)

London Knights: Nikita Zadorov (89), Olli Maatta (172), Scott Harrington (25), Danny Syvret (59), Kyle Quincey (499), Marc Methot (511), Dennis Wideman (758), Dan Jancevski (9), John Erskine (491), Alex Henry (177), Evgeny Korolev (42)

(Projected #7-#8) LD Olli Juolevi, London Knights (OHL)

Sarnia Sting: Mark Katic (11).

(Projected #9) LD Jacob Chychrun, Sarnia Sting (OHL)

It just goes to show how much better Londons and Windsors development systems are. Most likely whatever dman we take at 4 would be going back next year. I'd prefer that dman to be in either Windsors or Londons system. For me I really like Sergachevs upside and so thats who I'd take at 4.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Honestly I'm still on the trade the pick wagon, Sergachev or Chychrun won't be ready for at least a couple of years. We don't have that kind of time, we're currently dealing with this problem with Nurse. We need him to be ahead of his development curve. I'd be up to send the pick out for a solid #2 Dman as long as we acquire another top 4 guy we'll be looking good on the back end.

Klefbom - Hamonic
Sekera - Demers
Davidson - Nurse/Reinhart/Osterle/Fayne

Not a world beating group by any stretch but if we can then ship out Eberle for some more jam down the middle or on the wings.

The problem with Nurse isn't his development curve. It's that he'll most likely develop into another defensive dman which we already have plenty of and are a dime a dozen in free agency. If he was a high scoring offensive dman who was struggling in his own zone a bit at 21, I don't think anyone on here would be wanting to trade him.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This is exactly right - how badly is Edmonton getting lambasted over getting all these 1st overall picks, when in those years the 1st overalls were maybe #3-5 picks in the deep draft years. Yes, they screwed up their development to some extent by poor management of the team, but we certainly don't have any Stamkos or Kane out of the deal.

Even with Stamkos, Kane, and Tavares this team would suck. The rebuild failed because it was handled by incompetent managers who don't know how to rebuild. Look at Florida's rebuild. Fallon is doing it right, bringing in good vets to shelter the young kids and help them win. Which is exactly what he did in Chicago.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Did he actually state that he had "mixed emotions"? lol

He definately looked a bit dissapointed when he missed out on Arizona.

Yes, he said, "a lot of mixed emotions," when asked how he felt.

McDavid explained why they look so distraught (the next decade of your life had been randomly decided), but the Leafs fans couldn't handle their own medicine.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, he said, "a lot of mixed emotions," when asked how he felt.

McDavid explained why they look so distraught (the next decade of your life had been randomly decided), but the Leafs fans couldn't handle their own medicine.

Im looking forward to posting about Matthew's taking the max deal that takes him to UFA earlier so he can go back home and sign in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad