Prospect Info: Draft Thread | How Far Would You Trade Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Its because tkachuk plays a bigger game. Also a huge pest

How does his game compare to his dad's? A Keith Tkachuk type could go a long way to transforming the on-ice makeup of this team. I have visions of a Lemieux-Tocchet-like connection between McDavid and Tkachuk.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Its because tkachuk plays a bigger game. Also a huge pest

He also seems to be pretty damn strong. I ran into a guy a week or so ago that supposedly played with Tkachuk when they were younger and he had nothing but praise for his game, when I asked if he was pretty strong he definitely thought so. You don't have to be 6'4" tall to be strong.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Ever since I watched Victor Mete play against McDavid in the OHL playoffs I've wanted him maybe we can get him with the 32nd but he'll probably be picked up late in the first.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ever since I watched Victor Mete play against McDavid in the OHL playoffs I've wanted him maybe we can get him with the 32nd but he'll probably be picked up late in the first.

He'll be there in the third, I'm thinking.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I have to state clearly that I think McAvoy is the best pick for the Oilers at #4... good size, all-around dman who is also a RHD... perfect combo.

I know almost no one would pick him at #4... and most prudent way to go about it would be to trade down to acquire him... but I believe he has a very strong chance of being the best dman in this draft and I wold support an "off the board" pick of McAvoy at #4 by the Oilers (but again even better if they an somehow pick up an asset and trade down to get McAvoy).

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Chia did a little interview with the sn panel at the memorial cup. Found it funny how Damien Cox was trying to shove Juolevi down his throat.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I have to state clearly that I think McAvoy is the best pick for the Oilers at #4... good size, all-around dman who is also a RHD... perfect combo.

I know almost no one would pick him at #4... and most prudent way to go about it would be to trade down to acquire him... but I believe he has a very strong chance of being the best dman in this draft and I wold support an "off the board" pick of McAvoy at #4 by the Oilers (but again even better if they an somehow pick up an asset and trade down to get McAvoy).

There's definitely a chance that McAvoy could wind up being the top D from this year, but picking him at #4 would be terrible asset management. If he's the guy you want you trade back probably two times, and pick up extra picks that you can use to acquire a defenseman who can play immediately(Vatanen?).

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Wish someone here saw him on a regular basis. His scoring was comparable to Hanifin and Werenski as a freshman. Consistency seemed to be a factor in the first half of the season but sounds like he played well post-WJHC.

Did he play well at the U-18s?

Wondering why he's not grouped in with the other 3 name d-men.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Hed be an inetresting trade down candidate. Ideal situation is to trade down to 8-11 and get an NHL D + that pick. In 8-11 you have a legit shot a 2, or forsure 1 of the top 3 D. But then you also have a 100% shot at McAvoy or Fabbro. Hell you could trade down to around 15, get a better NHL D and still get 1 of them

My top candidates are Montreal and Colorado. I know Petry left here on a semi bad note, but I think he didnt dislike Edmonton much and wouldnt mind a return. He is almost a perfect candidate for a trade down.

4th for 9th + Petry
4th for 10th + Barrie
4th for 11th + Severson
4th for 15th + Spurgeron

4th for 17th + Ellis
4th for 19th + Hamonic
4th+ for 22nd + Trouba
4th for 24th + Vatanen

(add to 4th whatever to get them). Bolded are best moves for me. Others are some suggestions

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Marner and Dvorak could dominate with a traffic cone on their wing. It concerns me.

I think this pick comes down to scouts. The numbers will always be inflated. But maybe hes draft stock would be as high (or higher) if he was the driver on a line with only 1 other decent 1st round pick and put up 90-110 points while being able to display more skills and playmaking ability

Domi dominated on their wing, then went into NHL and did very well. He certaintly didnt collapse like a Schremp did.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think this pick comes down to scouts. The numbers will always be inflated. But maybe hes draft stock would be as high (or higher) if he was the driver on a line with only 1 other decent 1st round pick and put up 90-110 points while being able to display more skills and playmaking ability

Domi dominated on their wing, then went into NHL and did very well. He certaintly didnt collapse like a Schremp did.

IIRC, Domi didn't play all that much with Marner last year. They didn't have much chemistry as Domi was/is a bit of a puckhog/driver the same way Taylor Hall is so he actually produced better when seperated from Marner. So that's not a very good comparison. Domi is a driver, Tkachuk is a complementary piece, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as he'd likely fit quite well and possibly better than someone like Hall on McDavids wing.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
IIRC, Domi didn't play all that much with Marner last year. They didn't have much chemistry as Domi was/is a bit of a puckhog/driver the same way Taylor Hall is so he actually produced better when seperated from Marner. So that's not a very good comparison. Domi is a driver, Tkachuk is a complementary piece, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as he'd likely fit quite well and possibly better than someone like Hall on McDavids wing.

Maybe, but like I said, itll come down to scouts if hes a complementary player or a driver. On the line he was on its kind of impossible to be a driver as the line contains an overager who led team in scoring and a recent 4th overall pick. He was kind of bound to being an elite complimentary player

But if wasnt on a stacked team he would have opporunity to be the driver.

Its a catch 22, you get to put up some elite, elite numbers on a stacked line but then are seen as the beneficator of that line and cant display other skills

I think a similar scenario arose with Galchenyuk and Yak. Pre draft year they did extremely well on a line together. Yak was seen as the driver and questions about who benefitted who. Then Galchenyuk got injured and Yak still chugged along. Many people concluded Yak was the driver and Galchenyuk had semi inflated numbers in his pre draft year

At the end of the day I prefer Dubios or to trade down tho. But I wont be upset if Tkachuk is the guy

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I know as the draft gets closer I get more and more excited about a lot of different players, like i do every year, but this year 4-20 middle of the pack guys i think there are a lot of meat and potato players that a team like the Oil could use. In my fantasy world
Trade 4 OA for 7 OA and 20 OA
Trade Yak for 9 OA (As per probably bogus rumor)

Draft in order (7th, 9th , 20th )
Mikhail Sergachyov
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/200 lbs
Positio D
Team: Windsor (OHL)

Logan Brown
Ht/Wt:6' 6"/225 lbs
Position:C/LW

Charlie McAvoy
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/208 lbs
Position D
Team: Boston U (H.E)
My Choice at 7 is Serg over the other D, but bottom line take one of the top 3

At 9 take a Center who can be a third line center with 2nd line potential, My Pick is Brown however Jost or McLeod fit the bill as well

At 20 Grab the potential gem of the draft in McAvoy Like him and fits a need however must not be picked too early as he is risky

Ideally draft wise this is best case scenario (this is a draft thread) however we badly need players now and wouldn't be sad to see some of the picks flipped for the right players

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I know as the draft gets closer I get more and more excited about a lot of different players, like i do every year, but this year 4-20 middle of the pack guys i think there are a lot of meat and potato players that a team like the Oil could use. In my fantasy world
Trade 4 OA for 7 OA and 20 OA
Trade Yak for 9 OA (As per probably bogus rumor)

Draft in order (7th, 9th , 20th )
Mikhail Sergachyov
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/200 lbs
Positio D

Logan Brown
Ht/Wt:6' 6"/225 lbs
Position:C/LW

Charlie McAvoy
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/208 lbs
Position D
Team: Boston U (H.E)
My Choice at 7 is Serg over the other D, but bottom line take one of the top 3
at 9 take a Center who can be a third line center with 2nd line potential
My Pick is Brown however Jost or McLeod fit the bill as well
At 20 Grab the potential gem of the draft in McAvoy Like him and fits a need however must not be picked too early as he is risky
Ideally draft wise this is best case scenario (this is a draft thread) however we badly need players now and wouldn't be sad to see some of the picks flipped for the right players

Thats dreamville. Maybe Yak for 90th overall

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
DuBois seems like Tkachuk but bigger, faster and can play at center.

This is where I rank the players.

Laine/Matthews
Pulju/DuBois
Sergachev/Chychrun
Tkachuk

I'm pretty high on Dubois. Just so much to like

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
DuBois seems like Tkachuk but bigger, faster and can play at center.

This is where I rank the players.

Laine/Matthews
Pulju/DuBois
Sergachev/Chychrun
Tkachuk

I'm pretty high on Dubois. Just so much to like

Just a gut feeling: But Dubios is a guy I feel will become the 3rd or even 2nd best player from the draft, and Tkachuk will be a good NHLer but will struggle to keep up to his draft hype. Similar to a JVR

I could see people asking in 5 years how Puljarvi was picked ahead of Dubios and even some discussion whether people overvalued Laines shot to much pre draft and if Dubios was to underrated

Just a gut feeling tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad