Prospect Info: Draft Thread | How Far Would You Trade Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Unless your getting a proven d man with the #4 pick ahead of time, i would hold onto it and see what CBJ does. If they do decide they want a C and skip over Puljujarvi, then i think you got to use that pick at 4 and take him.

Puljujarvi, Sergachev, Chychrun and Dubois all should have high value today and you can always wait to increase their value and ship them later on or keep them long-term.

There are a few valuable trade assets on the wing that are expendable today that will create cap space to sign a defenceman or do a blockbuster trade for a top pairing defenceman. RNH and Draisaitl have value as well.

We are hoping this is the last top 5 pick for a while so possibly this selection could be part of the core for the next 10+ seasons .

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
Trade down

A deal I like...

4th plus Reinhardt and Fayne
To Buffalo for
8th
Bogosian

Then draft a guy who I think fits the oilers needs almost as much as a top puck moving Rhd and that is a big two fast smart right handed center... draft Mike McLeod!

Then you can trade either Leon or Rnh for that Barrie or Faulk type...

Sekera Faulk/ Barrie
Kelfbom bogosian

Get a guy like Bozak to fill in at 3c while McLeod develops.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
How far can Fabbro fall? He kinda gives me Keith vibes. 4th to Ari for 7th and 20th. Move 20th up as needed to get Fabbro. Draft Serg/Chychrun and Fabbro.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
So talking forward wise.

Many here are riding the Dubois or Tkachuk wagon for valid reasons since Puljujarvi is locked in at #3 on most lists.

I believe with some others that Columbus are after a #1 or #2 center due to their wing depth.

If Columbus choose to select a center they can also key in on their flavour in Dubois, Keller, Jost or Brown. Very unlikely they go that route come #3, unless they are sold on that center I understand. They can always trade down but you never know where those centers will get selected at.

Many believe Dubois and Tkachuk fit the top 6 with the tools each provide. Although think of a scenario where Columbus and Edmonton swap picks or if Columbus go for Dubois at #3 :amazed:

Now think about Puljujarvi to Edmonton. He fits the Oilers as well as Dubois or Tkachuk. His work ethic has to be the best in this draft class which is highly intriguing to this young team.

I just want to know the opinion on Puljujarvi on this board and how you feel he would fit this team.

If the Jackets aren't sold on picking Puljujarvi I'd love to Chia offer something to them to swap picks. I know many here will say just wait and let them pick someone else, but it would really suck to see Vancouver or Calgary jump us and take Jesse.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
So talking forward wise.

Many here are riding the Dubois or Tkachuk wagon for valid reasons since Puljujarvi is locked in at #3 on most lists.

I believe with some others that Columbus are after a #1 or #2 center due to their wing depth.

If Columbus choose to select a center they can also key in on their flavour in Dubois, Keller, Jost or Brown. Very unlikely they go that route come #3, unless they are sold on that center I understand. They can always trade down but you never know where those centers will get selected at.

Many believe Dubois and Tkachuk fit the top 6 with the tools each provide. Although think of a scenario where Columbus and Edmonton swap picks or if Columbus go for Dubois at #3 :amazed:

Now think about Puljujarvi to Edmonton. He fits the Oilers as well as Dubois or Tkachuk. His work ethic has to be the best in this draft class which is highly intriguing to this young team.

I just want to know the opinion on Puljujarvi on this board and how you feel he would fit this team.

PULJUJARVI... I consistently get told that he is the most certain player in the draft (after ONLY Matthews)
That seems to be what absolutely everyone says. Which means his ceiling is not going to be ovechkin like but he is going to be a franchise player.

I watched the WJHC i thought that when Finland was rolling...it was through him. When it wasnt through him...there were scares like versus russia. Reminded me of czech hockey where the coach chooses a strong wing and that actually becomes your pivot position, and everything flows throught that wing.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
If the Jackets aren't sold on picking Puljujarvi I'd love to Chia offer something to them to swap picks. I know many here will say just wait and let them pick someone else, but it would really suck to see Vancouver or Calgary jump us and take Jesse.

You make no sense. If Columbus is not taking Pul at 3, that means they are insane in love with a prospect. They arent trading down to risk losing that prospect. They pick him at three or get certainties that guy is avail at that lower spot. They do what burke did and get guarantees that player is avail. And since that wont happen

They draft who they want at 3. Top 3 picks wont be traded.

What was the last time, at the draft somebody traded into the elite top 3? Even moving just one spot so there were no issues at who was being selected. Any? When were there trades WITHIN the top 3? Spezza trade? Sedin?
That was a crappy draft too.

Last edited:

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
The difference between 4th and 7th isn't another 1st.

That's subjective to who Ari wants and how high they have them. If they really want Tkachuk then I'd say it is because he won't be there at 7. Picks in the later part of the 1st aren't worth as much as people think.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think most fans are okay with trading it outright. If we move down I'm okay with:

10. Logan Brown will be around, massive player that would be a great addition (assuming one of the d aren't around.

16. Jake Bean: Brodie like in the way he pushes the play and creates offence.

25. Debrincat: McDavid connection.

That's probably as low as you go.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
You make no sense. If Columbus is not taking Pul at 3, that means they are insane in love with a prospect. They arent trading down to risk losing that prospect. They pick him at three or get certainties that guy is avail at that lower spot. They do what burke did and get guarantees that player is avail. And since that wont happen

They draft who they want at 3. Top 3 picks wont be traded.

What was the last time, at the draft somebody traded into the elite top 3? Even moving just one spot so there were no issues at who was being selected. Any? When were there trades WITHIN the top 3? Spezza trade? Sedin?
That was a crappy draft too.

If they think they can get the guy they want at 5/6 they'll trade down and pick up assets. Lots of speculation that we might do that, why is it so crazy for them to do the same?

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I'm sure we would ask for 35th overall, but what do the Flames want just to move up 2 spots?

If they want a forward, I'd just stay at 6 and hope one of Dubois or Tkachuk is still there.

With rumblings of teams liking Brown, Keller, etc, might be worth considering staying put.

If the Flames desperately want Dubois then they know they won't have a shot at 6, so I guess you pay whatever it takes within reason.

Flames are too small up front and are loaded at LHD. At 6, they will be looking at a soft nylander or 3 left handed dmen.

IMO, they are the team that will try to move up. It won't be a late 2nd and a 4th because the drop off from 4 to 6 could be huge if Columbus picks a center. To do it prior to the draft, it would be both 2nd and maybe a 3rd. Otherwise, chia says no.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Flames are too small up front and are loaded at LHD. At 6, they will be looking at a soft nylander or 3 left handed dmen.

IMO, they are the team that will try to move up. It won't be a late 2nd and a 4th because the drop off from 4 to 6 could be huge if Columbus picks a center. To do it prior to the draft, it would be both 2nd and maybe a 3rd. Otherwise, chia says no.

Or Brown, or Keller, or Jost.

I don't think they'd be willing to move the assets to get to #3.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Looking at the draft chart, the only logical trading partners are drafting in the 7-10 range: Arizona, Buffalo, Montreal and Colorado.

So, the basis of any trade of our 4th pick would involve getting the other team's first round pick back, in order to draft a D-man (likely Oullevi or Sergeychev) and to add an NHL defenseman.

Arizona: Michael Stone
Buffalo: Zach Bogosian
Montreal: No fit (Subban aint happening)
Colorado: Barrie

Buffalo might be interested in Griffin Reinhart, if they want to go "Staal" with their roster and have two brothers on their club. Would they want to trade Bogosian? Maybe. They could easily dip into free agency to replace him with the likes of Goligoski.

Would something like no.4 and Reinhart for no.8 and Bogosian be reasonable? I think there's still more value in retaining the no.4 pick and taking Dubois/Tkachuk.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm cool with trading the pick.
Cool with trading down.
If we're trading down past 8th overall I'd want something massive in return.
If we're trading down to 7th I'd want something significant.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Get crazy and go the Niinimaki route.

Do you remember the reason they did that? they went to ONE tournament which consisted of them seeing 3 games. He was apparently "the best player" there. and that was it. thats our #1 pick. Thats what happens when your head scout scouts from mexico

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Knights playing the Wheat Kings right now. Chance to get a look at Tkachuk playing Provorov & co.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I think the Oilers should trade up (with the 32nd + to get Debrincat in the late first).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Poll should be working now.

Thanks Samkow!

---

Hmm.

I'm a little confused why people say Tkachuk is a bigger body. He's listed at 6'1 and 195. That's basically Taylor Hall size. He'll be averaged sized once he's in the NHL. It wont hold him back by any means, but he's not going to physically dominate NHLers due to his size. Meanwhile Dubois has an extra 2 inches and an extra 10 pounds and seems just as skilled, just as competitive, and plays with just as much of an edge. He'll actually be a bigger body in the NHL.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Its because tkachuk plays a bigger game. Also a huge pest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad