Prospect Info: Draft Thread | How Far Would You Trade Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
Poll is closed.

Tkachuk seems to be a product of his older, better linemates. Good offensive instincts and hands. Skating needs work. Not afraid to get his nose dirty. Sergachev is a better player to my eye. Not sure how each develops going forward.

Watching the game tonight I think people should be wary using Tkachuk's inflated stats to justify picking him.

gsp

Mar 12, 2016
Edmonton,Alberta
Only way I would trade down is if we can get a top pairing RD while trading down, then pick whoever. If we can't get a deal done for a top RD I hope we pick Tkachuk.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sit on the #4 pick until draft day. Work out the framework for some preliminary deals prior to the draft. Strange and unpredictable things happen on draft day every year.

See how the top 3 play out:
1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. ?

Columbus could just as easily take a player like Dubois or trade the pick to a team like Montreal or Philly who would be all over Dubois and what he can bring as a potential Centre. If Pulju falls to #4, draft him without thinking twice. You have 97s RW for the next 15 years.

If Columbus keeps the pick or Pulju goes at #3, move back to the #10-20 range and take Fabbro or BPA. Try and get a RHD in return while swapping the pick.

Unless Chia is really sold on Dubois or Tkachuk, that's how I would play it. Definitely do not want to see him reach for a D at #4.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
The last offensive player the Oilers had who was over 6-3 with great hands was Penner. Before him??? None. Let's not get too excited about Maroon just yet.

Dubois offers a combination of size and skill that the Oilers have not had (essentially) in its entire franchise history. I wouldn't pass up on him at no.4 this year. He would be on par with RNH (probably ahead) and better than Yak during their draft years.

He's a C/LW, has hands, plays physical style and has good hockey sense and two-way awareness. Sounds like a great addition to me.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
https://public.tableau.com/profile/brandon.dennis#!/vizhome/DraftEligibleCHLComparisonTool/CHL

Comparison tool for draft-eligible players across the CHL.

Doing a Tkachuk vs Dubois comparison is very interesting. Dubois comes out ahead in pretty much every category in the regular season despite finishing with less points. 83 of his 99 points he had the goal or primary assist on whereas only 66 of Tkachuks 107 points came that way. Dubois is also clearly the more dominant player at even strength. In fact Dubois is beating Tkachuk in every single category on this chart except PP points and primary assists on PP.

Basically what this does is that it confirms the eye test and tells me Dubois is a player who drives the play to a much larger extent than Tkachuk and gets things done at even strength and doesn't rely on strong teammates or getting points on the PP to produce.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Trade the pick outright (+ if needed) to acquire a top pairing RHD or just keep the pick and select BPA at #4. Zero interest in trading down. Why take on needless risk? That's how you end up with a bunch of meh/garbage assets for a single good-to-great one.

I am a little worried Chia will do something stupid like trade down for Logan Brown + a small add. If that went down, he better hope he strikes gold. We can't be wasting top picks at this stage of the rebuild. As we move up the standings in the coming seasons, we'll be picking in the Brown range anyway. Trading up into the top 5 is a lot harder to pull off.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That sounds like overthinking it to me.

How so? Best dman in the draft. And if we want a #1 Dman we have to actually use a 1st round pick on one with offensive upside. More #1 dmen have been taken in the top 15 of the draft then all other rounds combined.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
You can't use a pick of that value to draft a guy who easily slides to 7-9. Better off gaining an asset tradin down
I think the pick will be traded or kept based on deals outside the draft. If we have an idea we can grab a good RHD we can afford to either pick 4 or trade down for assets. Where as if nothing's out there we may need to shake someone lose (if possible) by dangling the 4th.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You can't use a pick of that value to draft a guy who easily slides to 7-9. Better off gaining an asset tradin down
I think the pick will be traded or kept based on deals outside the draft. If we have an idea we can grab a good RHD we can afford to either pick 4 or trade down for assets. Where as if nothing's out there we may need to shake someone lose (if possible) by dangling the 4th.

Taking a guy ranked anywhere from 6-10 at 4 is not a reach IMO. I think people are going to be surprised how this draft shakes down.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How so? Best dman in the draft. And if we want a #1 Dman we have to actually use a 1st round pick on one with offensive upside. More #1 dmen have been taken in the top 15 of the draft then all other rounds combined.

Taking Sergachev at #4 is basically pissing away the value of that pick. Dubois and Tkachuk are pretty much consensus 4/5 picks.

If we take a defenseman, we add yet another LHD to an already wealthy stockpile and we give two divisional rivals the two most valuable pieces in the draft outside the top three.

I would say the chances of us taking any defenseman at #4 is minute.

Taking a guy ranked anywhere from 6-10 at 4 is not a reach IMO. I think people are going to be surprised how this draft shakes down.

I agree. But I think it's in a way you wouldn't expect.

I think the defensemen fall in this draft. And I think Clayton Keller and Logan Brown go in the top 10.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Taking Sergachev at #4 is basically pissing away the value of that pick. Dubois and Tkachuk are pretty much consensus 4/5 picks.

If we take a defenseman, we add yet another LHD to an already wealthy stockpile and we give two divisional rivals the two most valuable pieces in the draft outside the top three.

I would say the chances of us taking any defenseman at #4 is minute.

I agree. But I think it's in a way you wouldn't expect.

I think the defensemen fall in this draft. And I think Clayton Keller and Logan Brown go in the top 10.

I don't think its a big stretch to think Chia is looking at Sergachev at 4. I think we see Chychrun and Juolevi fall though. If Sergachev falls past 8 I'd be surprised. IMO he's easily BPA at 4, but thats just my opinion.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think its a big stretch to think Chia is looking at Sergachev at 4. I think we see Chychrun and Juolevi fall though. If Sergachev falls past 8 I'd be surprised. IMO he's easily BPA at 4, but thats just my opinion.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's not even in their top 10. But with him mentioning Logan Brown, at least you know he's seen him.

There's a ton of uncertainty with the big 3 D in this draft and I think that's a big reason why I think they'll fall. From week to week my opinion changes on which has the highest upside. They were all somewhat impressive in my viewings, but none really looked over the top.

As I've said, I think a lot of scouts are enamored with the forwards in this draft. And the way it's laid out, I can't see a defenseman going until the Arizona pick. And with the potential risers like Keller, Jost and Brown out there, I wouldn't be shocked to see one or two of the three D fall into the teens.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wouldn't be shocked if he's not even in their top 10. But with him mentioning Logan Brown, at least you know he's seen him.

There's a ton of uncertainty with the big 3 D in this draft and I think that's a big reason why I think they'll fall. From week to week my opinion changes on which has the highest upside. They were all somewhat impressive in my viewings, but none really looked over the top.

As I've said, I think a lot of scouts are enamored with the forwards in this draft. And the way it's laid out, I can't see a defenseman going until the Arizona pick. And with the potential risers like Keller, Jost and Brown out there, I wouldn't be shocked to see one or two of the three D fall into the teens.

Exactly, and it seems like more and more teams prefer taking forwards over d-men high in the draft. Hanifin was a consensus 3rd overall pick last year but he fell to #5 even though both Toronto and Arizona could really use another high-end defenseman. I think at the very least one of the three d-men are going to fall heavily. I could also see Bean, Fabbro or even McAvoy being picked ahead of any of those guys. Outside of the top3 I think every teams' list look very different. The draft this year is very unpredictable.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Flames fan here. From having listened to a lot of Chiarelli interviews it sounds like you guys are very much open to, or even looking to trade down. The Flames have a lot of picks to potentially make it happen with a high 2nd (#35), two late 2nds (#53 and #55), and then picks in every round. I feel like at #6 the Oil probably still get their pick of the defensemen and could pick up additional assets. Sounds like Chiarelli is pretty comfortable with most of the players in the 4-9 range.

Does anybody think Chiarelli would bite on:

#6 + late 2nd + 4th for #4?

Is that enough? Would Chia demand a late 2nd (#53 or #55) + 3rd (#65)? Or just a high 2nd (#35)?

I know some people will think its too risky to trade with the Flames but it does seem to make some sense with the Flames needing a power forward (Dubois/Tkachuk) more than anything else right now. If Chia is leaning towards taking a d-man then you can basically move back risk free while picking up additional assets. Thoughts?

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Trade the pick in a package for #1D or pick a forward at #4. No trading down please unless it somehow gets us a top D.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

in my opinion Sergachev looks to have the best upside for offense of the big 3 at least, but to take him at #4 in ridiculous. we could easily trade down to say #7 with the Yotes and he'd likely still be sitting there, especially with Logan Brown seemingly moving up the rankings. think about it for a sec. Matthews, Laine, Jess P., Dubois, Tkachuk, and either one of Chychrun, Nylander or Brown will likely be the guys that go before Sergachov, so if the Oilers really want the guy, trading down as many as about 5 spots would still land the guy for us.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Trade the pick outright (+ if needed) to acquire a top pairing RHD or just keep the pick and select BPA at #4. Zero interest in trading down. Why take on needless risk? That's how you end up with a bunch of meh/garbage assets for a single good-to-great one.

I am a little worried Chia will do something stupid like trade down for Logan Brown + a small add. If that went down, he better hope he strikes gold. We can't be wasting top picks at this stage of the rebuild. As we move up the standings in the coming seasons, we'll be picking in the Brown range anyway. Trading up into the top 5 is a lot harder to pull off.

This is what I hope happens. Either trade the pick for a top pairing RD and if none are available just draft Dubois. I don't want to trade down and I don't want to trade the pick for a package of players. The only other option I wouldn't mind would be to trade up to #2 which will not happen.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
So talking forward wise.

Many here are riding the Dubois or Tkachuk wagon for valid reasons since Puljujarvi is locked in at #3 on most lists.

I believe with some others that Columbus are after a #1 or #2 center due to their wing depth.

If Columbus choose to select a center they can also key in on their flavour in Dubois, Keller, Jost or Brown. Very unlikely they go that route come #3, unless they are sold on that center I understand. They can always trade down but you never know where those centers will get selected at.

Many believe Dubois and Tkachuk fit the top 6 with the tools each provide. Although think of a scenario where Columbus and Edmonton swap picks or if Columbus go for Dubois at #3 :amazed:

Now think about Puljujarvi to Edmonton. He fits the Oilers as well as Dubois or Tkachuk. His work ethic has to be the best in this draft class which is highly intriguing to this young team.

I just want to know the opinion on Puljujarvi on this board and how you feel he would fit this team.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Flames fan here. From having listened to a lot of Chiarelli interviews it sounds like you guys are very much open to, or even looking to trade down. The Flames have a lot of picks to potentially make it happen with a high 2nd (#35), two late 2nds (#53 and #55), and then picks in every round. I feel like at #6 the Oil probably still get their pick of the defensemen and could pick up additional assets. Sounds like Chiarelli is pretty comfortable with most of the players in the 4-9 range.

Does anybody think Chiarelli would bite on:

#6 + late 2nd + 4th for #4?

Is that enough? Would Chia demand a late 2nd (#53 or #55) + 3rd (#65)? Or just a high 2nd (#35)?

I know some people will think its too risky to trade with the Flames but it does seem to make some sense with the Flames needing a power forward (Dubois/Tkachuk) more than anything else right now. If Chia is leaning towards taking a d-man then you can basically move back risk free while picking up additional assets. Thoughts?

I'm sure we would ask for 35th overall, but what do the Flames want just to move up 2 spots?

If they want a forward, I'd just stay at 6 and hope one of Dubois or Tkachuk is still there.

With rumblings of teams liking Brown, Keller, etc, might be worth considering staying put.

If the Flames desperately want Dubois then they know they won't have a shot at 6, so I guess you pay whatever it takes within reason.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
So talking forward wise.

Many here are riding the Dubois or Tkachuk wagon for valid reasons since Puljujarvi is locked in at #3 on most lists.

I believe with some others that Columbus are after a #1 or #2 center due to their wing depth.

If Columbus choose to select a center they can also key in on their flavour in Dubois, Keller, Jost or Brown. Very unlikely they go that route come #3, unless they are sold on that center I understand. They can always trade down but you never know where those centers will get selected at.

Many believe Dubois and Tkachuk fit the top 6 with the tools each provide. Although think of a scenario where Columbus and Edmonton swap picks or if Columbus go for Dubois at #3 :amazed:

Now think about Puljujarvi to Edmonton. He fits the Oilers as well as Dubois or Tkachuk. His work ethic has to be the best in this draft class which is highly intriguing to this young team.

I just want to know the opinion on Puljujarvi on this board and how you feel he would fit this team.

Unless your getting a proven d man with the #4 pick ahead of time, i would hold onto it and see what CBJ does. If they do decide they want a C and skip over Puljujarvi, then i think you got to use that pick at 4 and take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad